Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Honestly, I'd just go the route they went on the original costume piece.

If you're not happy with the color, paint it using something like liquitex fabric acrylic (Renee April confirmed they painted the coats because they didn't like the color)
Unsure of using their soft body or heavy body paint, but whichever is recommended for painting onto fabric.

I'd go with this shade personally
View attachment 789537
From the Liquitex color charts - dark Green (almost black) with hues of blue.

Then use the liquitex varnish to give it that leather like shine and seal the paint in.

https://liquitex.com/Varnish/

Ofcourse I haven't done this yet - I don't think anyone has - but this is the route I'll likely be going. Also much more screen accurate than wax and still waterproof!

that's pretty much the route I'm going with the one I'm makingI've got Phthalo green and forest green, still deciding which to use (being painted over charcoal canvas like the original).

I'm also still trying to work out the best way to apply it. There's like 40 separate panels of canvas in this thing so I want it to be relatively even.

that's pretty much the route I'm going with the one I'm makingI've got Phthalo green and forest green, still deciding which to use (being painted over charcoal canvas like the original).

I'm also still trying to work out the best way to apply it. There's like 40 separate panels of canvas in this thing so I want it to be relatively even.

What brand of paint are you using mate? Just curious because I’m making my own too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I like the liquitex idea for my Zlurpo's coating. It is possible aply It in a coat when is finished or only works put in the fabric pieces in a tank?

Then use the liquitex varnish to give it that leather like shine and seal the paint in.

https://liquitex.com/Varnish/

I've tempted to order a coat from Zlurpo, just waiting till his fur situation gets sorted out. Judging by his photos I don't plan to paint on a different color (maybe in person I'll change my mind). After seeing the film again I think I'll want to add a satin finish to the coat, in my opinion a gloss finish will be too shiny.

I was looking at the varnishes Liquitex has and since this stuff is meant for paintings and not casual clothing I'm apprehensive. Anybody know if varnish will adhere to a non-painted surface?

Another thing, according to Liquitex their Permanent Non-removable varnishes dry into a hard coating https://liquitex.com/archivalpermanentvarnish/ "Hard, archival, non-yellowing and water resistant when dry". For strictly cosplay purposes I'm guessing this isn't a big deal but for those of us looking for a regular wearable coat we would have to go with Liquitex's Removable varnish https://liquitex.com/archivalremovablevarnish/. According to them it dries into a flexible coating and is only available in matte or gloss.

Hopefully Zlurpo will send fabric samples with his coats. I'll just have to see if I can get my idea of a satin finish with the removable matte and gloss varnish before exploring other options.

*Side note*
I returned my coat last Tuesday got fully refunded from White Sheep Leather today. Even though I and wasn't satisfied with the coat and paid $50 return shipping (which is fair), I just wanted to reassure you guys out there that the customer service is legit.

Swim upriver in this thread and you’ll see my Liquitex fabric test. It works and this stuff is meant for fabric application as well as painting with in general.

What brand of paint are you using mate? Just curious because I’m making my own too.

the acrylics are chromacryl (forest green) and A2 (phthalo) (I think) and I'm mixing in a little liquitex gloss medium and some liquitex fabric medium as well.

I was actually surprised by how water resistant and hardy just the straight acrylic paint is...even if the material is wet, you have to work real hard to get any paint to come off...I've also found running a warm iron over it (with something in between) helps to seal things in too.

I'll have to look into the satin varnish that cirrusx1 did his tests with. That might be the last piece to my coating that I'm looking for.

i also need to get around to starting my build thread, just waiting on some fabric to arrive before i can start.

Last edited by a moderator:
the acrylics are chromacryl (forest green) and A2 (phthalo) (I think) and I'm mixing in a little liquitex gloss medium and some liquitex fabric medium as well.

I was actually surprised by how water resistant and hardy just the straight acrylic paint is...even if the material is wet, you have to work real hard to get any paint to come off...I've also found running a warm iron over it (with something in between) helps to seal things in too.

I'll have to look into the satin varnish that @cirrusx1 did his tests with. That might be the last piece to my coating that I'm looking for.

i also need to get around to starting my build thread, just waiting on some fabric to arrive before i can start.

Thanks very much. Can’t wait to see the progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
Swim upriver in this thread and you’ll see my Liquitex fabric test. It works and this stuff is meant for fabric application as well as painting with in general.

I don't know how I missed that but thanks for posting. I'm assuming you used Non-removable satin varnish? It just stiffens the fabric and doesn't harden it? I'm just curious cause I've never used this stuff and their website says the Removable version is "Flexible, will not crack as surface expands and contracts during temperature and humidity changes".

I know pictures can lie, in your opinion does the satin finish give it a leather shine? I'll have to experiment regardless, but I want to avoid a leathery look.

Yeah agreed with this. I was under the impression Liquitex paint and varnish was used for quite a lot of costuming applications in film.

I'll have to experiment regardless, but I want to avoid a leathery look.

Agreed, you may well have to experiment with application (zlurpo is including extra offcuts of the dyed canvas for testing) as personally, the 'leather-like' look is what I'm going for and others might not want that.

*Side note* I returned my coat last Tuesday got fully refunded from White Sheep Leather today. Even though I and wasn't satisfied with the coat and paid $50 return shipping (which is fair) said:
Out of curiosity, what weren't you happy about regarding the WSL coat? Apologies if you've already said...

Ahhhh yessss, sorry! I did see that but didn't realise it was you. I'm still on the fence about where to order from. I can tell WSL is good for the money whle not being 100% accurate and I just can't afford the other two options. I may get the WSL one as a base and modify it (sew in extra shearling/lining) but still undecided.

I have the WSl version of the coat. Can someone explain to me exactly what is inaccurate about this version as opposed to magnolias and zlurpos versions?
On that note, I actually had the collar adjusted by a local service because the collar piece on the side that stand upright kept flapping down as it was too long in comparison to the movie version.

Its mostly a matter of construction and materials, magnolis and zlurpos are both crafted much nicer and made of much better and more accurate materials. I believe the fitting, patterning and color on them is more accurate as well. You get what you pay for with these coats, white sheep is much cheaper than them for a reason.

Ok, here’s my take on the laminating fabric discussion. I’ve tried many variations of acrylic mediums, I am using a product that’s meant for awnings to seal them and still be able to flex and move with the varying winds and temperatures. I’ve used it straight out of the bottle, thinned it by 30%, 50%, and even added color to it. I’m sad to say the acrylic mediums leave the canvas material I’m testing, crunchy and ruff like hardened material. It really doesn’t flex or wrinkle like what we all saw in the movie. What I have tried next was, I used acrylic paints to get a color I’m feel is close to what I think is suitable. I thinned the consistency down by 30-50%. I wanted it to absorb into the fabric, not soaking it, but not just sitting on top. I only did one coat (making sure I saturated the area). I forced dryed it for time purposes only. I then took a clear silicone and thinned it just a touch, and literally worked it in to the paint fabric the silicone results are by far the best in appearance and feel and it moves like leather. Next I plan on trying the same meathod but using a wax instead of a silicone.

F71BF89C-2535-459D-AF5E-A2C7EDFE7783.jpeg608D0F56-842B-4D32-A7CA-E74C670BB40F.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, here’s my take on the laminating fabric discussion. I’ve tried many variations of acrylic mediums, I am using a product that’s meant for awnings to seal them and still be able to flex and move with the varying winds and temperatures. I’ve used it straight out of the bottle, thinned it by 30%, 50%, and even added color to it. I’m sad to say the acrylic mediums leave the canvas material I’m testing, crunchy and ruff like hardened material. It really doesn’t flex or wrinkle like what we all saw in the movie. What I have tried next was, I used acrylic paints to get a color I’m feel is close to what I think is suitable. I thinned the consistency down by 30-50%. I wanted it to absorb into the fabric, not soaking it, but not just sitting on top. I only did one coat (making sure I saturated the area). I forced dryed it for time purposes only. I then took a clear silicone and thinned it just a touch, and literally worked it in to the paint fabric the silicone results are by far the best in appearance and feel and it moves like leather. Next I plan on trying the same meathod but using a wax instead of a silicone.

View attachment 790508View attachment 790507

I'm really digging the color on #1

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back