Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

I know one guy posted a few images of Indy's in black a few pages back. One other dude and I posted images of it in green here as well, can't remember which pages though.

I think I may have identified the gloves used by Officer K. They are three-point patrolman gloves, and I think they are made by Tough Gloves in their "Cabretta" style. There are three variations of this style: lined, unlined, and touchscreen. All look the same, but have differences that studying the Amazon reviews can help explain.

I am thinking that the gloves from the film would most likely be the lined version. According to Leather Gloves Online, the lined ones are already familiar to Hollywood, being the same ones used in the television show Dexter. Can you spot any differences between these and the ones from the film? Mechanized2400 posted pictures of the actual gloves on page 8 of this thread. You can compare those to a closeup of the touchscreen version here:

td302c_l.jpg

I have found these gloves at Leather Gloves Online, and at Amazon, but you may be able to find them elsewhere.

K's gloves have a seam where the thumb meets the palm, but not a second seam laying alongside it running up the side of the palm to the finger, which the Cabretta gloves do have, so these are super close but I'm not convinced they're the exact gloves used. This construction seems to be pretty unusual, so it could be a decent tell when the correct gloves are discovered, should they be off the shelf. Between the coat, sweater and gloves, our boy K seems to have a thing about seam placement huh? I noticed grabbing a screenshot to show this that K's do appear to be lined though, as the interior seam of the liner is faintly visible on the left hand;

7gLmkiI.png

Apart from that one seam they are styled exactly the same though, handsome gloves and really easily "close enough" for costuming, I think. Nice find.

Last edited:
I think I may have identified the gloves used by Officer K. They are three-point patrolman gloves, and I think they are made by Tough Gloves in their "Cabretta" style. There are three variations of this style: lined, unlined, and touchscreen. All look the same, but have differences that studying the Amazon reviews can help explain.

I am thinking that the gloves from the film would most likely be the lined version. According to Leather Gloves Online, the lined ones are already familiar to Hollywood, being the same ones used in the television show Dexter. Can you spot any differences between these and the ones from the film? Mechanized2400 posted pictures of the actual gloves on page 8 of this thread. You can compare those to a closeup of the touchscreen version here:

View attachment 783651

I have found these gloves at Leather Gloves Online, and at Amazon, but you may be able to find them elsewhere.

Definitely close enough for costuming. These are basically the same as the ones I picked up from Debenhams in the UK. Most department stores and glove retailers seem to sell this style of leather glove with accurate or close to accurate detailing EXCEPT they all include the stitching along the fingers. Which makes me think the film gloves are a custom job and not off the shelf, since this is a very unique design choice. Another factor to think about is the costume being made of animal friendly materials, so that lends credit to the idea of them being a custom artificial material.

Though I could be wrong, but if they are off the shelf, I expect them to turn up with a hefty price tag due to this unique pattern. I don't know if the cost would be worth it for the minor details that few will notice.

K's gloves have a seam where the thumb meets the palm, but not a second seam laying alongside it running up the side of the palm to the finger, which the Cabretta gloves do have, so these are super close but I'm not convinced they're the exact gloves used. This construction seems to be pretty unusual, so it could be a decent tell when the correct gloves are discovered, should they be off the shelf. Between the coat, sweater and gloves, our boy K seems to have a thing about seam placement huh? I noticed grabbing a screenshot to show this that K's do appear to be lined though, as the interior seam of the liner is faintly visible on the left hand;

View attachment 783652

Apart from that one seam they are styled exactly the same though, handsome gloves and really easily "close enough" for costuming, I think. Nice find.

Good catch. I did order the Tough Gloves ones. Then I started wondering whether they would CGI a seam away for an important shot. But I did see that style on a WiseGeek article about what patrolmen do:

policeman-with-black-gloves-writing-on-pad-of-paper.jpg

So this style of patrolman's duty glove is out there, just not easy to find in the first pages of Google Images for the terms I've used.

Good catch. I did order the Tough Gloves ones. Then I started wondering whether they would CGI a seam away for an important shot. But I did see that style on a WiseGeek article about what patrolmen do:

View attachment 784061

So this style of patrolman's duty glove is out there, just not easy to find in the first pages of Google Images for the terms I've used.

But wait! This (large) picture of K and Sapper appears to show an index finger seam. Therefore, I think they might have CGI'd it out for the close-up.

View attachment Br2049-a.jpg

Do you also note the seam here?

But wait! This (large) picture of K and Sapper appears to show an index finger seam. Therefore, I think they might have CGI'd it out for the close-up.

View attachment 784073

Do you also note the seam here?

I don't see it there personally, it's just too small an image to draw a certain conclusion from either way for me. But, your Wisegeek image I think is exactly what we are looking for, gloves that have been manufactured as a sort of folded over shape which removes the index finger outer seam. Honestly I wasn't actually certain that someone would manufacture gloves in this way (my own regular use gloves have a seam here) and was just going on examination of the movie, but on the strength of that image I think you're hot on the trail. Now that it's certain gloves are indeed made in some styles this way, it seems far more likely to me than painting out a seam digitally.

Personally, I think the correct gloves will be "folded over palm" construction let's call it, patrol style gloves in thin leather, with a cloth liner, and they do look to have the sort of "scrunched" or gathered wrist with no buckles or straps, and a dart at the wrist opening. That's what I'm seeing from examination of what I can find and deferring to the movie itself as the primary resource, in my opinion. I think you're exactly right they'll turn out to be some kind of police gloves.

While I'm sure some will disagree, in my own opinion they probably actually are leather, rather than an artificial alternative. I know people like the narrative that there are no animal products used, but they sure look genuine leather to me, and most of the articles I've seen about that have been from websites that are focused on a vegan or PETA style agenda rather than hard information about movie props and costuming.

I don't see it there personally, it's just too small an image to draw a certain conclusion from either way for me. But, your Wisegeek image I think is exactly what we are looking for, gloves that have been manufactured as a sort of folded over shape which removes the index finger outer seam. Honestly I wasn't actually certain that someone would manufacture gloves in this way (my own regular use gloves have a seam here) and was just going on examination of the movie, but on the strength of that image I think you're hot on the trail. Now that it's certain gloves are indeed made in some styles this way, it seems far more likely to me than painting out a seam digitally.

Personally, I think the correct gloves will be "folded over palm" construction let's call it, patrol style gloves in thin leather, with a cloth liner, and they do look to have the sort of "scrunched" or gathered wrist with no buckles or straps, and a dart at the wrist opening. That's what I'm seeing from examination of what I can find and deferring to the movie itself as the primary resource, in my opinion. I think you're exactly right they'll turn out to be some kind of police gloves.

While I'm sure some will disagree, in my own opinion they probably actually are leather, rather than an artificial alternative. I know people like the narrative that there are no animal products used, but they sure look genuine leather to me, and most of the articles I've seen about that have been from websites that are focused on a vegan or PETA style agenda rather than hard information about movie props and costuming.

I've cropped the gloves here because you'd have to open the full 6000 px wide image to see the seam with the other one (not just expand it). I agree that they are likely leather, though perhaps not meant to be lore-wise. I've also seen some other makers with virtually identical styles, too, so I can't say for sure it's Tough Gloves. But I do see the index finger seam, especially on the top glove here (whether expanded or viewed in a new tab, the image should be 800 x 800 px).

k-gloves.png

I've cropped the gloves here because you'd have to open the full 6000 px wide image to see the seam with the other one (not just expand it). I agree that they are likely leather, though perhaps not meant to be lore-wise. I've also seen some other makers with virtually identical styles, too, so I can't say for sure it's Tough Gloves. But I do see the index finger seam, especially on the top glove here (whether expanded or viewed in a new tab, the image should be 800 x 800 px).

View attachment 784078

You right, I should have been middle clicking. Now we're getting somewhere, and that somewhere is directly conflicting images. Yeah, the seam is absolutely there in this image. At this point I'd be actually veering towards an entirely different pair of gloves in each picture we've compared, the gloves pictured here being identical to, or just flat out being the Tough Gloves pair.

Nice snooping.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that at this point the magnoli coat version is the best in terms of accuracy and quality? I've had my eyes on the zlurpo one as well, however I'm a bit on the fence since I haven't seen any "in-hand" pictures yet. It's crazy how many of these jackets are now being sold... Everywhere :facepalm

Is it safe to assume that at this point the magnoli coat version is the best in terms of accuracy and quality? I've had my eyes on the zlurpo one as well, however I'm a bit on the fence since I haven't seen any "in-hand" pictures yet. It's crazy how many of these jackets are now being sold... Everywhere :facepalm

Zlurpo stated back in early November that the first run of coats would take 8-10 weeks to manufacture and ship out, which is why we haven't seen any "in-hand" photos from members. Although you can find several photos of the prototype over on his thread in the Project Runs forum.

As for which one is the "best" in terms of accuracy and quality, I couldn't tell you. Neither coat is completely 100% accurate, but both look fantastic. I think it comes down to preference. Personally I decided to go with the Magnoli coat, one because I just preferred the look, and two because I've been a customer of his for several years, and I'm familiar with the quality of his garments and what to expect.

If I were you and still on the fence, I'd wait a bit longer before making a decision. If I understand correctly, everyone who was in on Zlurpo's first run should be receiving their coats in a couple more weeks, then I'm sure we'll see lots of "in-hand" photos. Perhaps that'll help you decide.

Last edited:
aeonpulse Thanks for the quick response. You've got a point. Mabye I'll just wait for now. There's no sense in rushing this, especially with the current hype over the jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:
You right, I should have been middle clicking. Now we're getting somewhere, and that somewhere is directly conflicting images. Yeah, the seam is absolutely there in this image. At this point I'd be actually veering towards an entirely different pair of gloves in each picture we've compared, the gloves pictured here being identical to, or just flat out being the Tough Gloves pair.

Nice snooping.

Given Goslings previous work with Gaspar Gloves in "Drive," I assumed these were Gaspar as well. Note the same double seam around the thumb. Plus it would appear that K's gloves have a bit of a wrist on them and do not stop at the base of the palm. I ordered a pair of the Genial DeLux. After breaking them in over a day or so, they lost all their shine and transitioned to a nice, dull appearance.

https://gaspargloves.com/collections/mens-dress-gloves/products/polaris-delux

Just had a look at a similar thread over at filmjackets.com... Can anybody confirm or give more detail to the claims made there? Apparently the coat for Gosling and Ford was made by matchless? As a side note somebody over at reddit pointed out this brand: norwegian rain. Looking at their *expensive* coats it does have a certain K vibe to be honest.

5f715f88ca89d8c48723cd3bcc3ddfe51fa14500_l.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a look at a similar thread over at filmjackets.com... Can anybody confirm or give more detail to the claims made there? Apparently the coat for Gosling and Ford was made by matchless? As a side note somebody over at reddit pointed out this brand: norwegian rain. Looking at their *expensive* coats it does have a certain K vibe to be honest.

View attachment 784289

i don't know anything about "matchless", everything I've read credited Renée April and her design team.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back