Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

I’m somewhat obsessed with finding out what the coating is on the K coat. I decided to research the clothing designer responsible for making the coat, Rene April—and found some great articles on where she describes the fabric coating as a base laminated fabric that was stress/aged painted. My hunch on the base fabric is what they call a PUL cotton. Here’s a site with some offerings. http://www.diaperfabricdirect.com/shop-solid-pul/

i share this as i hope the coat makers out there will do their do dillegence on researching the most accurate fabric possible, then offer it as an option.
happy holidays.

I’m somewhat obsessed with finding out what the coating is on the K coat. I decided to research the clothing designer responsible for making the coat, Rene April—and found some great articles on where she describes the fabric coating as a base laminated fabric that was stress/aged painted. My hunch on the base fabric is what they call a PUL cotton. Here’s a site with some offerings. http://www.diaperfabricdirect.com/shop-solid-pul/

i share this as i hope the coat makers out there will do their do dillegence on researching the most accurate fabric possible, then offer it as an option.
happy holidays.

Hey cirrusx1.

I've investigated this fairly extensively too. Not sure about the PUL cotton, but it's a bit late in the game for me now as my zlurpo coat has already been shipped.

As far as I can tell the coats were made out of a standard cotton canvas and were dyed an undisclosed colour.

It's at this point that Gosling asked for the fur to be added, and also April/Gosling decided they didn't like the colour of the dye.

Instead of re-dying, they painted the whole coats in a dark green fabric acrylic (making the fabric color redundant), whether out of choice or due to time constraints is uncertain. The one thing I'm really unclear about is the 'laminating' that April mentions, but it seems to me that you wouldn't paint onto a laminate as the paint wouldn't adhere very well (I could be wrong). It makes more sense for the laminate to be some sort of varnish/silicone to seal in the paint.

I'm personally going for an un-waxed, standard cotton coat, and then I'm going to experiment with some fabric offcuts to see if I can achieve accurate results.

And Merry Christmas!

58C53548-D9BF-411A-9461-67284CCD4E6A.jpegJust rewatched the movie and found that he wears the collar popped up during the “rain” scene. Looks pretty cool.

happy holidays.

Yes, the costume designer was quoted as saying it was made of laminated cotton, which is cotton with a thin film of Polyurethane (PU) heat-bonded to it (normally by the 2 layers being sandwiched together and passed though heated rollers during manufacture) which forms an external waterproof layer. The PU film can be manufactured in any colour and will accept printing before it's bonded to the cotton. It is very similar to Oilcloth (used for sailing clothing) except oilcloth uses a thicker layer of PVC to bond to the cotton, which is stronger and harder-wearing but being thicker does not drape as easily and is harder to sew than laminated cotton.

It's an option for $50. I went for it on mine.
Was that option always available? I don't remember seeing it when I ordered mine a couple of months ago, only the 'custom size' option.

Was that option always available? I don't remember seeing it when I ordered mine a couple of months ago, only the 'custom size' option.
I'm not sure when it became available, but I ordered mine in the middle of November. I was also in email contact with them ahead of time, asking for photos of the final waxed finish. Sorry you had to do it yourself. :( What type of wax did you go with?

It's weird that nobody offers the option in laminated cotton since is the most accurated option for the coat. It's official that Renee April has comfirm that is the real thing.
I can say after read a lot of interviews and quotes this is the way to go.
Don't go wrong with this: after watch the movie 100 times, the coat has the wrinkles like it want to be similar to leather. And that is due the laminated cotton. Note that the jacket shines a litle bit like distressed and aged leather.

Most of the people making good reproductions don't have the limitless resources April did or a massive budget. Laminating a jacket seems like a costly and complicated process and I'd assume is a very new method in the textiles industry. We all have known its made that way, but the very talented makers are doing the best with what is available. You don't go wrong with Magnoli or Zlurpo which have both made extremely accurate and well made versions of the coat.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ucCZU
Hey folks!
so, I got the White Sheep Leather K coat for christmas (+ a fitting pullover) and when discussing it on /r/bladerunner someone asked for a few photos. Now that I made the post, I thought that I might as well post it here
I'll add my thoughts of the coat here:
Well, I’m no expert on coats and I’ve only worn it for a few days but so far, i’m very happy with my purchase.
If you’re planning on wearing the coat like K does (open) you will have to wear a Pullover and a T-shirt under it because otherwise, it’ll get too cold.
The quality if the coat seems to be good, but not amazing, except for the mechanism that closes the jacket.
You have a small metal piece on each side of the coat, about where your belly button is, which you can join together to close the coat, and 3 more magnets on each side which help close the coat completely.
The magnets seem to be a little weak, and I plan on replacing the little metal thing with maybe a button, because it doesn’t work too well and is too shiny for my taste.
The fur looks good, but if you want to close the collar to “protect” your face from snow or rain, some hairs might get into your mouth.

Would someone mind linking me to where I can purchase a Zlurpo coat? I'm very interested in picking one up. Thank you!

Zlurpo has an entire thread devoted to his coat over in the Project Runs forum. You'll find a link for his Etsy page there. Pretty sure he's still taking orders, but last I read the current run of coats is about two months out.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271571&page=14

https://imgur.com/gallery/ucCZU
Hey folks!
so, I got the White Sheep Leather K coat for christmas (+ a fitting pullover) and when discussing it on /r/bladerunner someone asked for a few photos. Now that I made the post, I thought that I might as well post it here
I'll add my thoughts of the coat here:
Well, I’m no expert on coats and I’ve only worn it for a few days but so far, i’m very happy with my purchase.
If you’re planning on wearing the coat like K does (open) you will have to wear a Pullover and a T-shirt under it because otherwise, it’ll get too cold.
The quality if the coat seems to be good, but not amazing, except for the mechanism that closes the jacket.
You have a small metal piece on each side of the coat, about where your belly button is, which you can join together to close the coat, and 3 more magnets on each side which help close the coat completely.
The magnets seem to be a little weak, and I plan on replacing the little metal thing with maybe a button, because it doesn’t work too well and is too shiny for my taste.
The fur looks good, but if you want to close the collar to “protect” your face from snow or rain, some hairs might get into your mouth.

Thanks for posting, if you don't mind me asking did you request a waxed finish and also a darker shade green? All other coats I've seen from WSL have been a lighter color and I haven't seen an up close photo of their wax finish.

Thanks for posting, if you don't mind me asking did you request a waxed finish and also a darker shade green? All other coats I've seen from WSL have been a lighter color and I haven't seen an up close photo of their wax finish.
I got it for christmas, but my mother told me that she simply ordered in the correct size, with wax weathering and without text on the back. No special requests.

I didn't get the chance to put the weathering to test yet though, but if there' interest I'll do an update once I get the chance.

I got it for christmas, but my mother told me that she simply ordered in the correct size, with wax weathering and without text on the back. No special requests.

I didn't get the chance to put the weathering to test yet though, but if there' interest I'll do an update once I get the chance.

please do. i just received a WSL coat that is being modified slightly and thinking of getting one in the wax finish but i'd like to get more information on the waxed version first

Hey, if anyone is going to post photos of their coat, could they please include the brand they ordered it from. It's getting a little confusing bouncing between pages.

Does anyone have pics of the Magnoli jacket in black? I’m trying to decide between green and black and I didn’t see any posted but I could have missed it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back