Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Isn't over complicating it the name of the game here?

Oh sure, I'm not knocking it. I just think once you delve into that 'what colour actually is it' process, you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out when often it's just finding the most basic image with a flat lighting palette and using that as your basis, then accepting any other variations will be down to X number of variables from lighting to post production.

The above image is the most plainly lit still I've seen from the film or the costume photos. It also shows the waxed/laminated finish off really well. For me, that image is the basis of what I want my coat to look like. Everyone will be different.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm at work right now but I'll definitely post some up tonight!

Seconded. Yes please :)

This one that I posted earlier seems to be right off a cell phone, and not an actual production still.

https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=768883&d=1508957001

To me that looks similar to the above, but the lighting is a bit more ambient and less 'clinical,' so you're immediately getting more shadows. Coat looks a tone darker but whether that's down to shadows or lack of post filtering or not, I'm not sure.

I guess it's down to perception. A difficult coat to nail the colour on for sure.

Honestly, it looks greener to me than anywhere else I've seen it in that shot, but that could be some cellphones "vivid" color preset or something. All the photos I've seen from the coat on display make it look much more like the production still of them in the "memory orb" (whatever they're called haha) room, more desaturated, more grey.

A- Anything could factor into the color grade, they could easily make his jacket "look more green" in a scene where someone actually says it's green.

C- Cell phones images vary pretty heavily, you can find hot debates about this all over the internet. I wouldn't call this "the best" way. Not to mention convention style display lighting is usually atrocious, and includes all kinds of different color temp lighting, mixed together, and crappy little bulbs... Don't get me started.

D- I suppose you could do this, but I don't see how it would help you determine what color you want your jacket to be, also the lighting where your photo was taken vs. Deakins, the color space that the film was shot in, vs. your cell phone, vs. your monitor, vs. how you handle the image vs. whatever they graded it in, baselight or whatever... Too many variables. This isn't a scientific process.

On top of all of this, we don't know how many jackets there are. There could be greener ones, and greyer ones.

C: There are about three sources that show the color of the jacket right now: Production imagery (the movie, stills), digital photos (by cell phones and the DSLRs) and in person. Of those three, "in person" is obviously the best (which I stated) and the second best would then be the method that isn't guaranteed to be heavily doctored (color timed). Since, as you noted, cell phones are different, looking at a random selection of images (as I wrote) will give you a better approximation than looking at production imagery. Thus "The best way (besides actually seeing in person) right now", unless someone can suggest another method. A recent example of how this was very useful was Star Lord's Vol 1 trench coat, which most thought was red (or at least, much more red-toned than it actually was). After looking at hundreds of images and seeing it in person, I concluded that most of the closest photos color-wise were those taken spontaneously with cell phones and the like, because they don't automatically "artistically doctor" the image.

D: I was referring to gauging the actual color of the costume piece, not folks' personal preferences as to what color they would rather have. (Some folks like OD green Pulse Rifles, some like screen accurate Bess Brown.) Again, if there is a better method of approximating the actual color right now (since no one seems to have photographed the screen used coat with a grey card and polarization filter), then by all means suggest it. And while it may not be exact by any means, you can in fact apply some science to it. Setting your monitor to a neutral white helps too, even if they also differ (unless you calibrate them, which can also be done).

I feel you guys are really over-complicating this...

View attachment 769284
This image hasn't been post processed to the same extent as the footage (as in this is more than likely from an on-set photographer taking stills of the production rather than colored and graded like the film footage). It's probably a pretty clear indication of what the coat looks like under direct, white lighting.

Well, just for fun I put my money where my typing fingers are:
colortest.jpg

I took a look at some color values and spikes in different photos. The still above wasn't too bady docted, as Hall86 noted but there was some heavy green tinting in it. Using the white jacket I tried to even out the grading a bit. I did the same (without comparing them while doing it) with the various other photos folks have snapped. Some of them appeared to have been done in daylight. Either way, they all came out fairly close.

There's some variation of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a medium-shade, military-grey-green jacket in real life. Definitely green, but not a saturated green.

Isn't over complicating it the name of the game here?

Right you are, Sir! : )

Received my Officer K jacket from White Sheep Leather and its absolutely GORGEOUS! We took these photos super quick in between binging Stranger Things, so they really don't show off all of it's beauty. Just to recap, this whole thing cost $179 and was made in just 2 weeks off basic reference photos, so I'm absolutely amazed. The jacket itself is made out of a very dark cotton and faux fur. The jacket has many hidden neodymium magnets to help the jacket hold its shape which works brilliantly. The jacket itself is slightly thin, but I'm sure you can request a thicker liner (I personally wouldnt mind and entirely fur filled liner even though it's not accurate because it is so comfortably soft!). The fit is also pretty fantastic and matches my measurements very well. I know some may complain about the writing on the back being inaccurate, but the only photo I gave them to go off of for the back was the action figure. I was originally going to remove it and airbrush it on, but its honesty kind of growing on me (maybe a version of K's jacket when he first got it?) The neck collar thing works well, but I doubt I'd ever actually wear it since I felt like a turtle. Overall, I'd give the whole thing a 9/10 for how well made it was for the price. Expect some more photos this weekend! I'm also wearing my H&M K sweater and pants, as well as some tactical boots (I'm too cheap to spend $150 on the real things)' I've just asked them to add it to their site since I've gotton loads of messages about purchasing, but you can send them a message on their facebook page as well
5470f2756ee6a41a4b0a8f5151f4a8b8.jpg
8a0c6e1245e24d27ae9718c8cab16f74.jpg
56a2ec17091bfe667760e5c909b14e02.jpg
2f3969af03988a9fd14fad047c1dd074.jpg
a244d129568bdc7f62a85495456c7f18.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Jacket looks great! I wanna see it with a few years of wear put into it.

If I had access to photograph the actual jacket, I'd go there with a macbeth chip chart and take photos haha... That's how I'd get over the color issue, for myself.

As I posted a while back, I decided to work closely with White Sheep Leather to get a version of K's jacket done and I couldn't be more pleased! The cost was only $179 for the entire thing, and for that price I cannot complain at all. It's made of a really dark green cotton that we decided to would look more accurate to the one seen on screen as the scenes were always very dark. For a cheaper alternative, its a very good way to go. That ships out tomorrow, so I'll definitely post many pictures once it arrives! I also finally finished my blaster that was 3D printed from thingiverse. It was printed in ABS then smoothed in an acetone vapor. For the grips, I just used some glossy carbon vinyl wrap.
View attachment 768681View attachment 768680View attachment 768679View attachment 768678View attachment 768669View attachment 768670View attachment 768671

That looks really good. Does the collar snap down on one side & is the fabric fairly heavy? What is the lining like?

That looks really good. Does the collar snap down on one side & is the fabric fairly heavy? What is the lining like?
Yepp! It has the screen accurate latch system. As for the lining, its about as thin as most overseas leather jackets, so its not half bad. I know that they will add whatever you ask, so I'm sure they could put in a thicker lining. I'm personally adding my own removable liner to wear as a winter jacket and to remove and use at conventions.
2c36d3a7bf7e4a505d50a56729ec8cd8.jpg

Yepp! It has the screen accurate latch system. As for the lining, its about as thin as most overseas leather jackets, so its not half bad

This actually looks great for that price point.

Does it have the diamond quilted lining like the original?

And is the cotton waxed or laminated?

Alrighty gonna dump some photos of Magnoli's coat. I don't have any good ones of me wearing it unfortunately, and if anyone has anything specific you want to see let me know.
IMG_20171028_090731992.jpg
IMG_20171028_090741335.jpg
The shoulder padding
IMG_20171028_090748742.jpg
The four stitches
IMG_20171028_090810639.jpg
Uploaded upside down for some reason, but the text appears way more vibrant than in reality. Its genuinely as subtle as in the movie.
IMG_20171028_090956347_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171028_091023712_HDR.jpg
My camera is pretty bad, this image is the most true to color, and pretty damn close to as it appears on screen in my opinion.
IMG_20171027_142158599.jpg
IMG_20171026_162718319.jpg

Alrighty gonna dump some photos of Magnoli's coat. I don't have any good ones of me wearing it unfortunately, and if anyone has anything specific you want to see let me know.
View attachment 769421
View attachment 769422
The shoulder padding
View attachment 769425
The four stitches
View attachment 769427
Uploaded upside down for some reason, but the text appears way more vibrant than in reality. Its genuinely as subtle as in the movie.
View attachment 769428
View attachment 769429
My camera is pretty bad, this image is the most true to color, and pretty damn close to as it appears on screen in my opinion.
View attachment 769430
View attachment 769431
Looking good!

This actually looks great for that price point.

Does it have the diamond quilted lining like the original?

And is the cotton waxed or laminated?
It unfortunately doesn't, but that's because I had no idea the jacket had it till a week ago haha. I'm sure they'd add it for you though, but I'll probably just find a way to add it myself. As for the cotton, I'm not 100 percent sure, but I can say that it looks really accurate in person. The sheen it gives off is fantastic.

Received my Officer K jacket from White Sheep Leather and its absolutely GORGEOUS! We took these photos super quick in between binging Stranger Things, so they really don't show off all of it's beauty. Just to recap, this whole thing cost $179 and was made in just 2 weeks off basic reference photos, so I'm absolutely amazed. The jacket itself is made out of a very dark cotton and faux fur. The jacket has many hidden neodymium magnets to help the jacket hold its shape which works brilliantly. The jacket itself is slightly thin, but I'm sure you can request a thicker liner (I personally wouldnt mind and entirely fur filled liner even though it's not accurate because it is so comfortably soft!). The fit is also pretty fantastic and matches my measurements very well. I know some may complain about the writing on the back being inaccurate, but the only photo I gave them to go off of for the back was the action figure. I was originally going to remove it and airbrush it on, but its honesty kind of growing on me (maybe a version of K's jacket when he first got it?) The neck collar thing works well, but I doubt I'd ever actually wear it since I felt like a turtle. Overall, I'd give the whole thing a 9/10 for how well made it was for the price. Expect some more photos this weekend! I'm also wearing my H&M K sweater and pants, as well as some tactical boots (I'm too cheap to spend $150 on the real things)' I've just asked them to add it to their site since I've gotton loads of messages about purchasing, but you can send them a message on their facebook page as well.

The shoulder padding

The four stitches

Nice coats. I wonder what they would look like once they have some wear and tear.

Wow, that looks fantastic! Any concerns I had about my finished Magnoli coat have dissolved. And that green is awesome! I was worried the color might end up looking a bit too vibrant, but it appears to be spot on. I opted for the black waxed cotton, very excited to see how that turns out. Looks like it fits like a glove too. Magnoli has once again completely nailed it. Thanks for sharing!

Received my Officer K jacket from White Sheep Leather and its absolutely GORGEOUS! We took these photos super quick in between binging Stranger Things, so they really don't show off all of it's beauty. Just to recap, this whole thing cost $179 and was made in just 2 weeks off basic reference photos, so I'm absolutely amazed. The jacket itself is made out of a very dark cotton and faux fur. The jacket has many hidden neodymium magnets to help the jacket hold its shape which works brilliantly. The jacket itself is slightly thin, but I'm sure you can request a thicker liner (I personally wouldnt mind and entirely fur filled liner even though it's not accurate because it is so comfortably soft!). The fit is also pretty fantastic and matches my measurements very well. I know some may complain about the writing on the back being inaccurate, but the only photo I gave them to go off of for the back was the action figure. I was originally going to remove it and airbrush it on, but its honesty kind of growing on me (maybe a version of K's jacket when he first got it?) The neck collar thing works well, but I doubt I'd ever actually wear it since I felt like a turtle. Overall, I'd give the whole thing a 9/10 for how well made it was for the price. Expect some more photos this weekend! I'm also wearing my H&M K sweater and pants, as well as some tactical boots (I'm too cheap to spend $150 on the real things)' I've just asked them to add it to their site since I've gotton loads of messages about purchasing, but you can send them a message on their facebook page as well

Well crap. That looks absolutely ace. I'm gonna have to order one of these now because I don't have any long coats and Winter is already kicking in here!

Thanks for the pictures man!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back