Scratch-built airship

Photon

I started a new model recently. Its based on a drawing by artist Rob Turpin <https://thisnorthernboy.wordpress.com/>

K52McPS.jpg

I really like the design of this ship and I'm very excited to build it.I also like that its just a marker sketch and I can flesh out the details as I go. I contacted Rob and he is also excited to see how it turns out.

I found some 40mm styrene test tubes, so I'll be using that for the bubble canopy. Based on this, it follows that the final model will be about 300mm long.

dzWT28f.jpg

C3nQJ4N.jpg

I turned the base for the canopy on the lathe from a 2"polystyrene rod. I also made the bottom ring to be glued on and add some extra detail.

PF8BEGA.jpg

I cut a section out and fit in this gunpod from an airplane kit. The kit part was sanded to match the contour of the bubble. The gap was sculpted in with epoxy putty.

4RAPcLr.jpg

aSc5B61.jpg

CGzzxyw.jpg

I vacuum-formed the front section out of .060" styrene over a form made from some urethane foam. The final thickness wound up being about half that.

kpeoddD.jpg

The convoluted middle section was turned from the same 2" rod. There is still some more lathe work to be done before I cut it to length.

That's all for now. Thanks for tuning in.​

K52McPS

flyer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Scratch-built psychedelic spaceship

That's really cool. Looking forward to see how it comes out :)

Some people have the coolest tools. ;) Looks like a creative idea that could turn into a sharp looking build.

I started to detail the cockpit. I wanted it to be an open framework suspended in the bubble, maybe giving the impression that it uses gyros to always stay level while the ship maneuvers. I dunno.

Here's some pics...

CxC8CHX.jpg

sbapRtE.jpg

gzLDHkb.jpg

lLF0bdL.jpg

Whqj3t0.jpg

It’s mostly 1:72 scale tank parts. The chair is made from sheet styrene.​

Lookin' good!

I like the idea of it looking like it uses gyros to keep it level - should be a nice touch.

Thanks! I agree about the Moebius/ Heavy Metal vibe. I think that's what I like about it.

A quick update. I built a box out of sheet styrene to fill in the back of the vac-formed hull.

VqbppP2.jpg

Probably a bit hard to see in the photos, but there is a 5 degree taper on the vac-formed hull to aid removing it from the mold. This has made fitting subsequent parts tricky.

cUABBuR.jpg

Xfek4wK.jpg

B8XVc5Y.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Re: Scratch-built psychedelic airship

Update:

As usual, heavy on pics, light on text...sorry dial-uppers

Starting to fill out the rear "engine" area.

I built an under-structure out of basic shapes that I'll detail with kit parts and styrene bits.

PIkOHnK.jpg

VeDHJyi.jpg

The 1" acrylic hemispheres are from Kit Kraft. Probably just rebranded EMA/Plastruct.

edYhLeD.jpg

wEMfsEL.jpg

3S47w2O.jpg

everythings just balancing there...no glue yet.

QqDmu9g.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how its taking shape. The rocket engine may just be a place holder. I'm undecided whether or not to keep it. At least its slightly less phallic than the original drawing.

Ok! Next up, some hull panels and greeblification.
Thanks for looking.

p.​

It's been a while. Here are a few updates.

Starting to detail the engine area.To add a little more interest, I thought it might be cool to vary the surface levels a bit more. I cut two square holes and fit a couple of small boxes.

acdiZSx.jpg

ToyT07H.jpg

I used a heat gun to bend some .080 plastic rod to form pipes and glued them in place.

bTtYTyc.jpg

Starting to add model bits. Not everything is glued yet --not sure about the stuff up top.

KafvoKG.jpg

I also added some panels to the front hull & cut out two sections where some additional detail will go.

c9qmhBF.jpg

znD6yfl.jpg

I built 2 shallow trays out of styrene to stuff with some model parts.

a9OdWis.jpg

3LPOadZ.jpg

STNL5LR.jpg

Thanks for any interest.​

acdiZSx.jpg

ToyT07H.jpg

bTtYTyc.jpg

KafvoKG.jpg

c9qmhBF.jpg

znD6yfl.jpg

a9OdWis.jpg

3LPOadZ.jpg

STNL5LR.jpg

Unsure of how to make some of the more organic forms, I started to consider 3D printing. After finding out that Polystyrene filament was readily available I decided to go for it. I bought a cheapo (sub-$200) printer kit and proceeded to improve it—mostly by stiffening the frame and replacing the laser cut acrylic parts with machined aluminum ones. I also upgraded the hot end with a higher quality one (E3D V6) and made some safety upgrades to the electronics

fWOfUEM.jpg

akcKqrx.jpg

abE4k6h.jpg

After fighting with print bed leveling for weeks, I made a removable mount that would allow attaching a dial indicator.

G8jen91.jpg

I’ve been able to print some parts that are quite usable. The styrene filament is really easy to work with. It sands beautifully and bonds readily with Tamiya cements.

oknIkjV.jpg

SYY4Mwv.jpg

ZSjEyOJ.jpg

Attachments

• fWOfUEM.jpg
    fWOfUEM.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 151

Very nicely done. Love the way you're installing your greeblies: some bare areas balanced with mucho nernies:thumbsup. Keep going, loving that build!!

Why does that make me think of Vaughn Bode's "Cheech Wizard" meets Heavy Metal magazine? Cool design cant wait to see it finished.

So it's been a while. There's a fair amount of ground to cover, so I'll let the pictures do the talking...

I haven't made a lot of progress on the cockpit, But I did find these awesome 'HO scale' astronauts!

zH1Pn0M.jpg

The detail is a little soft, but I don't think I have much to complain about.

QIiuHZ6.jpg

9GpoNeV.jpg

The rear portion of the ship needed some more detail, so I printed out a pile of styrene rings. I sanded the primer back to get a good glue bond.

VCjGFS4.jpg

Once they were glued in place, I blended the transition with epoxy putty

ZFNJ7T3.jpg

Detailing the two rudder-like things on the side.

siMpTA3.jpg

Next Up are the smaller antenna-like paddles on the rear of the cab. These were made from some styrene tubes and rods and some
cut-down helicopter blades from an old Fujimi kit. The paddle ends are a bit bigger than the ones in the drawing because I wanted to
preserved some of the detail, but they look a bit bulky, so I may cut them down further.

Ayi6ozt.png

LywDD7C.jpg

I also built up some detail to suggest a motor of sorts that might control them.

syG7HsF.jpg

oD2hEAu.jpg

More mechanical detail, this time for the rear of the craft. This was built up from some 1:35 scale kit parts.

9CbrJ84.jpg

Here it is in place with some primer. The tank-like bit was turned from a 1" styrene rod and topped with an acrylic hemisphere. If you
look close, you can see the junction where some filler is needed...
H0fwTvo.jpg

I've also been adding more details to the front of the cab and was able to get some primer down to see how things are working

pYWS16S.jpg

Mg7m6Pt.jpg

WNLcb43.jpg

JOBTIA7.jpg

Here the stalks are just temporarily stuck on.

h68d3fB.jpg

Thanks for sticking around through such a picture heavy post.
Overall, I'm very pleased with how things are coming along. I really hope to get some paint on here soon and start weathering things.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back