Hellboy (2019)

I'll reserve any comments about props or wardrobe until there's a trailer and I know it's the final look. I will say, if someone showed that to me with no prior knowledge about the film my reaction would be "yeah that's Hellboy" not "yeah that's David Harbour," and that's a good thing.

It'll be really hard to beat Perlman's performance, his voice alone just is Hellboy to me, but aside from the origins in HB1 and Doug Jones and John Hurt as the PERFECT abe and Broom, the films left a lot to be desired as far as the B.P.R.D-verse"feeling" went. Very interested. Not familiar with the actor but reports say he's good. Also +1 on the scrawny "samaritan" and weird RHoD.

I like the look so far , but I feel the head is off proportion wise

Here is a comp I did in photoshop.

original on the left and head resize on the right ( only the head is resized the body is left untouched)

rektFTM.jpg

Im only familiar with the film version so don't shoot me down of the comic versions proportions are off.

Also this image just looks like a zombie version to me..

gDFshtA.jpg

The hammer setup on the new gun reminds me of a flare gun hammer, or something like a scaled down 1887 winchester lever action shotgun. Could be a modded out old german flare gun, a Heer, or a Geco. Probably not, but maybe.

Hellboy's gun in the comics was based on a smith & wesson MkII flare gun/276 gas gun at first. Shortly after the comic came out Mignola was at a con in Dearborn and I heard him discussing hellboy's gun with Mark Nelson. I don't remember much of what he said, it was a very long time ago, but he did say "smith and wesson flare gun" when Nelson asked him about the obligatory big gun.

Hellboy-Comics-Mignola-i.jpg
SWflaregun1.jpgSWflaregun2.jpg

Last edited:
I think they've gone for the huge traps to try to emulate that sloping shoulder look thats present in the comics. I'm really liking the look in the first photo.

I wonder who did the make up? Must be intimidating to follow up what Rick Baker did. David Harbour has all the makings of a great Hellboy. Huge fan of the comic. I hope this is good.

I'm stoked. I love Ron Perlman's work, but the movies never quite worked for me. Not sure why exactly, he just didn't quite capture the look of the comic for me. Abe and his out of water suit especially irked me. Harbour looks amazing. I agree that I hope they give him the topknot. The RHOD - I dunno. I want to like it, it looks freaking awesome, but it comes across as rusty metal with those edges. The rest of the cast looks amazing, fingers crossed.

but the movies never quite worked for me. Not sure why exactly, he just didn't quite capture the look of the comic for me.

They were basically Del Toro films that just happened to have Mignola's characters in them- especially Golden Army. I think they got the characters down very well, but overall they were more fairy-tale-like than the comics. Overall I'm optimistic about what we've been told and shown so far.

Yup, Del Toro made some cool flicks, but for fans of the comic books they were a little too cute. I agree that they were basically DT's fantasy films with Hellboy and the BPRD dropped into them. Which was not a bad match up for what they were. I enjoyed both films. But I'm very ready for a new take on the material.

It's too bad there seems to be some bitterness and hard feelings involved, but I'm exciting to see what Mignola does with a bigger creative stake in this film. I'm hoping for greatness!!

Re: Hellboy R-rated film reboot announced

Hellboy was fun. I think pushing an R-rated version speaks volume about how dumb audiences are that they need more obscenity and violence to enjoy a movie. Deadpool probably being the exception because the source material is what it is.

That being said... some characters are better when they're bloodier. I might be the only person that like Punisher War Zone. I liked it because it was raw. I loved Ray Stevenson as The Punisher. But I can't stand Dominic West and how they did JigSaw. Loony Bin Jim was no better. They made the movie feel silly when they grounded it so well with that version of Castle.

Back on point. I agree... Hellboy never really seemed to need to be R-rated.

I liked the comment someone on the RPF FB page wrote on this. He basically said they need to go visit a library because there's lots of good stories they can make.

Right? I've been waiting for a Necroscope series of movies for at least 15 years. It's a movie franchise just waiting to happen. Stories are all written. WTF?

Re: Hellboy R-rated film reboot announced

Hellboy was fun. I think pushing an R-rated version speaks volume about how dumb audiences are that they need more obscenity and violence to enjoy a movie. Deadpool probably being the exception because the source material is what it is.

The 'R' rating has absolutely nothing to do with audiences and everything to do with some studio executive looking at the success of Deadpool and attributing it entirely to the rating without understanding the context. PG-13 has been the golden rating for action/horror movies of the last 5-10 years because it gets more people into the theatre buying tickets, the promotional material for Deadpool drew a big red circle around their 'R' rating because it was necessary for the film and they were trying to reassure fans that they were doing it "the right way."

Now we've got this push from studios to do 'R' movies because they saw it was successful and are thinking "oh, this is what people want now." It's all about the next big trend. Wether Hellboy will be better or worse for it, who can say. If the story they're doing had to be an 'R' i'm fine with it, if they're going to tack on extra violence and/or language to get it to an 'R' then I think that is unnecessary.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back