Hellboy (2019)

Re: Ed Skrein quits Hellboy remake- oh the irony

It's called an adaptation for a reason. It would be absolutely impossible for every adapted character to retain every physical trait that the original fictional character has. Where does one draw the line? The spirit of the character is more important than the color scheme.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ts-hellboy-reboot-whitewashing-outcry-1033431

Virtue signalling in a movie where the main character has red skin and humongous horns!! Good luck finding an authentic actor to portray that character! (Yes, I know David Harbour is cast, but I'm making a point!)

Hellboy is a half-demon. As far as I know, there aren't any actual demons (or half-demons for that matter) that could be cast for the role. The character that Skrein was playing was half-Japanese. There are plenty of Japanese or half-Japanese actors who could play the role. Your "point" is specious at best.

There are plenty of Japanese or half-Japanese actors who could play the role. Your "point" is specious at best.

Is it a big deal in the comics? Does he carry around a katana like an asian stereotype and make references to his ancestry, or is he just a guy who happens to be half-Japanese? If it's the former you're gonna offend someone no matter how you cast it (see Doctor Strange) and if it's the latter I don't think it matters that his physical appearance exactly matches the comic if they had a particular actor in mind that they thought would fit the role better, which seemed to be the case.

I guess the question to ask all of you who are saying 'what's the big deal' is how many of you freaked when they announced that the new Doctor Who was going to be a woman?

On an individual case by case basis, it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal, but then you have Ghost in the Shell, The Last Air Bender, Johnny Depp as Tonto, etc...

Wait for the nuclear meltdown if they ever cast an American dude as Bond...

Ghost in the Shell and The Last Air Bender were both American productions created for an American audience, it's really not surprising that they ended up badly miscast and badly written.

I'm not a huge DW fan but having a female Doctor seems like a really interesting idea. The format of the show means each Doctor has their own unique traits and personalities and frankly i've felt they were getting a bit samey. If they don't make the show about her gender (because it really shouldn't matter) I think it could end up being an interesting season.

As for Bond, Daniel Craig might as well be an honorary American with that performance. Whatever suave English charm Bond had was written out a long time ago.

Is it a big deal in the comics? Does he carry around a katana like an asian stereotype and make references to his ancestry, or is he just a guy who happens to be half-Japanese? If it's the former you're gonna offend someone no matter how you cast it (see Doctor Strange) and if it's the latter I don't think it matters that his physical appearance exactly matches the comic if they had a particular actor in mind that they thought would fit the role better, which seemed to be the case.

It is possible for a person's nationality to be an important part of their character without them being an absurd caricature. I'm not familiar with this character, but I understand that's the case here (for example, the Internet tells me that his grandmother was a war criminal in WWII Japan). But even if his nationality wasn't a defining aspect of his character, there are so many more roles in Hollywood for white actors than non-white actors, and casting a white dude as an originally Asian character is just snatching away an opportunity for some Asian actor.

Also, let's not forget that the dude stepped down of his own free will, and explained in plain words that he's aware the problems with him being cast in a role that should go to a POC. Plus his kid is mixed-race, so I think he recognizes the importance of having non-white role models in popular media. There's no "virtue signalling" about this, he just made a good selfless choice.

So he pretty much still looks like Ron Perlman :lol

Samaritan looks a little scrawny...

DJoO94uUMAAzvNJ.jpg

So he pretty much still looks like Ron Perlman :lol

Samaritan looks a little scrawny...

View attachment 758553

Not digging the octagon RHOD- where are the RUNES? And if he doesn't have the samurai 'do, I'll be irked. I just hope they keep his dry wit and irony and don't make him too beast-like.

Maybe they are doing the automatic version of the Samaritan? It was, if I remember correctly, the first gun he ever used. (I did a model of it based on the comic a while back.) Belt looks nice.

The runes on the RHoD and the "Samaritan" are both products of the del Toro films. This is not a continuation of that.

In the comics his gun was never referred to as "The Samaritan," and the RHoD never had runes.

I agree that the octagonal - or is it hexagonal? - RHoD is not good.

RHoD is a little weird, but I'm not totally put off by it.
Hope he sports the Samurai topknot in the film and not that heavy-metal hair.
Honestly, though, I'm just excited as hell to see something. And so soon.
Harbour is the frakking MAN. I'm so looking forward to this movie.

I think it looks great. And yeah looks a lot like Pearlman, but as many have said he was never the problem for those of us who aren't fans of Del Toro's version.

Right hand of doom looks a little rough as a prop, maybe a quick mock up? I agree I'm not too keen on the polygonal shape.

But really the thing I notice the most is the lighting. Sure, this is just a first look, but Mignola's visual style is coming through really strongly here. His design work is half the meat in Hellboy, in my opinion. I mean I don't want this movie to go full Sin City, but I think the atmosphere of the Del Toro Hellboys just never hit that visual note for me.

This is outstanding! Could not be more excited. They have the look down, let's hope they give us a great story as well.

Really happy to see Daniel D. Kim cast as well:thumbsup

Well they've certainly got the Mignola-style lantern jaw/chin down...

3227.jpeg

It's interesting that the belt pouches have arcane symbols carved into the leather. But is that a dreamcatcher hanging below the big pouch on the left? o_O

21731625_1587229197994904_4463443705998808_2.jpg

Last edited:
I want a better pic of the gun.
It kinda looks like a fat 1858 Remington, but I can't even tell if it's a revolver or what the heck it is.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back