Blade Runner 2049 props and replicas

Work in Progress...

Mentor 13x18 CAD.jpg

The metal corners and slide are some sort of aluminium. The wood looks and feels like Ebony with an off white number plastic number recessed in made from hard plastic

The clip is not removable. Once we are done 'collating', I should be able to reproduce these fairly accurately with laser cut acrylics and engraved metalgraph laminate for the corner tabs and aluminium sections. Hopefully find somewhere to cut 1mm aluminium sheet to size for the plates.

Obviously, these dims would need to be scaled up
.View attachment 798865

Looking forward to the interest thread :thumbsup

Is that an actual film case or are you printing it? I’m thinking of using a common picture frame as my base and building from there.

Last edited:
I’m flattered that you asked if it was real - my CAD software thanks you! :)

I tried to get all the details as close to the screen-used prop as possible, but to verify the accuracy of the geometry, components, and proportions, I’d still need to get my hands on an original, and searching for these is coming up bupkes...

In any event, my plan is to either 3D print or CNC machine the frame & grip, and laser cut, water jet, or CNC machine the aluminum parts, whichever is cheaper. I’ll start getting quotes next week - just for myself, not a run, but I will ask to have the parts quoted in different quantities, because you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I tried the picture frame route, but couldn't make it work. While your at it... Would you ask about CNCing a metal Blade Runner badge? ...and maybe a Blaster?

This week the UK was hit by extreme cold weather conditions. Overnight the coolant in my laser tube froze and shattered the tube, so I'm out of the game until I can track down a replacement that doesn't requite a second mortgage to purchase :facepalm

Best if you ask the guys here who modeled the blaster and sculpted the badge - they own the master patterns, but I can tell you now that it would be extremely expensive, given the machine time and intricate features. The plate holders are very simple geometries in comparison, so that’s the only reason I’m even considering it.

For the badge, casting and forging are the best bet - that’s how real ones are made.

Very nice. I tried the picture frame route, but couldn't make it work. While your at it... Would you ask about CNCing a metal Blade Runner badge? ...and maybe a Blaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to chime in on the discussion. I could CNC a metal badge... for about $300 each. They can be cast in metal, but with the detail on mine, I would have to spin cast it, and I'm not set up to do that at this time.

-GG

Updated CAD model:

* reduced screw size from M2 to M1.6
* added number 3 inlay
* reduced crossbar width
* added Kanji to crossbar

rlUCjAt.jpg

In order to make the model accurate and get parts quoted, I need to confirm the accuracy of component dimensions and proportions from an actual 13x18 Mentor plate holder, which, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has been able to score so far. For now, however, I'd appreciate help from people who've already purchased Mentor plate holders of various formats with getting the following features and areas right, since none of the reference photographs I've been able to find reveal these features:

gaxVFQv.jpg

xvnalSV.jpg

XQKOcgq.jpg

Even if your Mentor plate is undersized (6x9 or9x12), taking photos of these areas from several angles and with rulers to set the scale would be very instructive. Please PM me to discuss. Thanks!

[I will try and take some pics tomorrow.

QUOTE=Unforgiven;4421118]Updated CAD model:

* reduced screw size from M2 to M1.6
* added number 3 inlay
* reduced crossbar width
* added Kanji to crossbar

https://i.imgur.com/rlUCjAt.jpg

In order to make the model accurate and get parts quoted, I need to confirm the accuracy of component dimensions and proportions from an actual 13x18 Mentor plate holder, which, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has been able to score so far. For now, however, I'd appreciate help from people who've already purchased Mentor plate holders of various formats with getting the following features and areas right, since none of the reference photographs I've been able to find reveal these features:

https://i.imgur.com/gaxVFQv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xvnalSV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XQKOcgq.jpg

Even if your Mentor plate is undersized (6x9 or9x12), taking photos of these areas from several angles and with rulers to set the scale would be very instructive. Please PM me to discuss. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back