Star Wars Black Series 40th Anniversary Vintage Card Figures

Cool! Have a photo you can share?

Sadly, I didn't buy it or take any pictures. I only had enough money for a few so I bought Luke, Han, and Leia because I missed out on the first black series release and I wanted the three heroes. But I assure you carded R2 was there as well as carded Ben Kenobi. Kinda wish I took a photo now [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I assure you carded R2 was there as well as carded Ben Kenobi. Kinda wish I took a photo now [emoji51]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, but you are certain that the R2-D2 was the earlier packaging variation with the boosters mounted separately?

Thank you dcarty for the tip on sites to look at!!!

dbuck, I think I felt the same way. My son grew up on the 90's - early 2000's figs and I was kinda meh on them. I have had no interest in collecting figures at all until I saw these. It reminded me of what it was like in the 70's/80's as a kid on Christmas morning or a trip to the local K-Mart with my parents.

I pre-ordered wave 2 from ToyWiz back on May 11th, anyone else do this and if so have you received a shipping confirmation?

According to JTA the production run of the 40th anniv cardback figures has officially ended. Everything that has been produced has been shipped to Hasbro's retail partners. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who has pre-ordered them.

So these are black series figures that have already been released, just on vintage cards now?

Most of the figures are reissues, yes. Darth Vader is a new sculpt (and a massive improvement over the previous figures), Death Squad Commander, and I think the Jawa are new.

Han Solo and Chewbacca were older issues that were out of print. R2-D2 is, unfortunately, the same undersized figure but has been unavailable outside of the aftermarket for years so it was nice to be able to get R2 finally and in much cooler packaging, lol. The exclusive X-Wing Luke is also a Series 1 reissue of course. The Stormtrooper is an older sculpt as well -- they've gotten a lot of mileage out of that one: Stormtrooper, Han and Luke in disguise, and a variety of Sandtroopers.

Luke, Princess Leia, Obi Wan Kenobi, Tusken Raider, and C-3PO were all issued within the last year or so.

Last edited:
Leia features the massively improved head sculpt. I thought the Tusken was a new figure, too.

That's a good point! I had forgotten about the new sculpt on Leia. I also thought that the Tusken was new with the 40th line but, going back over things, found that it had been issued in a Black Box with the Rogue One series last year so I went back and edited my post lol

OH! Maybe I thought it was new because I live i Germany and things seem to arrive here slower than in 1982 when I got my first figures... Before the Internet... I got my 40th anniv Jawa and Sand People a few weeks ago from a shop in the Netherlands! :D

I completely understand how that goes. I feel like where I live things are usually about 6 months behind everyone else, lol.

I'm stunned that Hasbro has discontinued the line. Since they went through the trouble to reissue R5-D4 and X-Wing Luke as exclusives I sort of expected that they would continue things and do the remaining figures to complete the "21 Back" assortment. They still could I suppose. They've already got Boba Fett and Greedo they can re-issue and that would leave them the other 5 figures to make but I would really only be interested in having them in vintage style packaging.

l'm tempted to try and buy another Death Squad Commander to paint him up and make him more accurate to the original figure. Baffles me why they didn't do that to begin with.

It was clear from the beginning that the line would be a one-off and limited. The two exclusives don't quite fit into the overall concept because they were not part of the original 12 (damn, I'd love to get that Luke X-Wing figure if it wasn't so expensive). However, looking at the HUGE success of them I can imagine Hasbro releasing a limited run of TESB and ROTJ carded figures as well when they get 40.

I knew it would be "limited" but figured that they would be available for at least a little bit longer, lol. Limiting the line to only one production run combined with Hasbro's amazing distribution system has left loads of fans empty handed -- or partially handed, lol (at least from what I'm seeing on FB and the JTA). I'm pretty lucky that I pre-ordered everything pretty much as soon as they went online. If I had to try and get a complete set locally I'd be screwed.

I concur about Hasbro doing a similar run for ESB and Jedi -- get ready for another limited edition Boba Fett!! It's funny, even though Boba Fett is more of an Empire character I prefer him in the original 21-Back packaging; but if they put him on any vintage style card I am absolutely going to get one. I'd probably buy all of the bounty hunters if they released them on vintage ESB cards. I'd love to have the AT-AT Pilot and Snowtrooper too. Who knows, this is Hasbro we're talking about and their decision making is always "interesting".

I'd love to have the Landspeeder set they have for San Diego Comic Con to complete the 40th line but I'm pretty much writing that off as it's already stupidly expensive. I've heard that they aren't going to offer it online after SDCC like they've done with previous exclusives and eBay prices are averaging $175 currently so I will save my Galactic Credits for now. It's not like I don't already have enough plastic junk in boxes around the house!

Limiting the line to only one production run combined with Hasbro's amazing distribution system has left loads of fans empty handed -- or partially handed, lol (at least from what I'm seeing on FB and the JTA). I'm pretty lucky that I pre-ordered everything pretty much as soon as they went online.
LOL! :D Yeah, these times are ridiculous. When I read the articles on pricing and availability in the US I often ask myself what is going (wr)on(g) on this planet. :) Here in Germany the BS figures cost about 35+ $ each (except for Jyn & Cassian & the TFA lines which s still about 25 $). The only shop nearby carrying SW figures is drowning in small figs from RO and TFA no-one wants (they have marked them down by 80 % and they are still piling up), so the only way to get new INTERESTING stuff here is online, too.

limited edition Boba Fett!!!
I thought exactly the same thing! :)

FYI to any interested, my Walmart has clearanced the 40th Anniversary Vader set down to $30. Still pricey but less, I went ahead & grabbed one. *do not know if this is chain wide. I actually returned a Death Squad Commander as I realized I already had a smaller version from early aughts.

FYI to any interested, my Walmart has clearanced the 40th Anniversary Vader set down to $30. Still pricey but less, I went ahead & grabbed one. *do not know if this is chain wide. I actually returned a Death Squad Commander as I realized I already had a smaller version from early aughts.

My Wally World in Cleveland TN reduced them to $30 also and have about a dozen + on the shelf.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back