Female Mandalorian Full Armor Suit WIP

Achilla137

Hey All!

So last year I made a custom 300 Spartan/ Mandalorian suit for SDCC 2016 and finished it just in time! Overall I was excited to have a costume completed and was surprised by how many people wanted pictures of me! However, there were still some major flaws that needed to be fixed before I would wear my suit again. Below is a pic of my suit from last year:

IMG_0979_zpsdpwfawob.jpg

It looks ok, but there is always room for improvement!

So I decided to take off the red cape and go in a new direction. Most of the armor that has been done has a primary color like red, green, blue, pink, I wanted something different that would make me stand out. So BOOM! I saw this picture in google and thought this would be cool for a mando color variant :)

c9d0fc40de71a810d213ea5c2d0e02ae.jpg

I KNOW this is on a clone trooper, and I'll upload a sketch later of it on a mando.

SO now I already have the armor, so how to get a pearl white effect on the armor? I knew I needed gloss white as a base, and after a bit of digging, decided to give Rustoleum Metallic in Pearl Mist a try and I LOVE IT!!!

Here you can see all my armor pieces before painting:

20170507_145537_resized.jpg20170507_151536_resized.jpg

and now here is what it looks like in gloss white:

20170507_170703_resized.jpg

pretty blah, but now here it is white the Pearl Mist:

20170507_171000_resized.jpg

looks way better!

I'll upload more when the pearl finish dries!

Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
Hey Achilla137 ! Your clone trooper color-theme pick isn't showing up.

One thing you might try for your pearlescent effect is reflective paint. It's offered in clear from a couple of companies. It could be both fun and un-fun depending on how it's photographed. With flash, you'd be a giant lightsaber, which I think would be really cool, but a bunch of people would get home from the con (or whatever) and discover every pic of you that they took was a giant glowing glarespot where you were standing!

It might be fun to experiment with in small doses though, like a mandalorian symbol that only shows up with flash! That'd be WAY COOL!!!

Looking forward to seeing how you finish your repaint!

And if you're interested, I still have a test sheet of 3-4 different brands of reflective paint in the garage somewhere. I can dig it out if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Achilla137 ! Your clone trooper color-theme pick isn't showing up.

One thing you might try for your pearlescent effect is reflective paint. It's offered in clear from a couple of companies. It could be both fun and un-fun depending on how it's photographed. With flash, you'd be a giant lightsaber, which I think would be really cool, but a bunch of people would get home from the con (or whatever) and discover every pic of you that they took was a giant glowing glarespot where you were standing!

It might be fun to experiment with in small doses though, like a mandalorian symbol that only shows up with flash! That'd be WAY COOL!!!

Looking forward to seeing how you finish your repaint!

And if you're interested, I still have a test sheet of 3-4 different brands of reflective paint in the garage somewhere. I can dig it out if you like.

Yea that'd be awesome if you could send me some pics of it! I have reflective tape on my motorcycle and it's bright with a flash, so doing paint on the WHOLE armor might be a bit much, but having a mandalore symbol would be cool!

@Achilla137 ! your clone color theme photo is up and running now!

Here are a few photos taken indoors in a well lit (sunlight only) room with FLASH from this morning of my old test sheet...

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 01 - with FLASH.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 02 - with FLASH.jpg

After respraying all 4 test paints this afternoon to see if the paints were still any good after ?? years, it's still pretty evident that the only one of the paints that is worth anything is the Duplicolor Nite Lites Reflective Silver....

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 03 - with FLASH.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 04 - WITHOUT flash.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 05 - with FLASH.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 06 - WITHOUT flash.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 07 - with FLASH.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 08 - with FLASH.jpg

Ridire Firean - Reflective and Glow In The Dark Paint Test - 09 - WITHOUT light.jpg

I think overall the Mandalorian symbol idea would work with the Duplicolor Nite Lites Clear if you made the symbol large enough 10"-12". If you wanted it say 3"-4" tall, the Duplicolor Nite Lites Silver would work great but it would show up against the white in normal lighting. You might get really creative with some white 3M Scotchlite sheet and blend in the edges via paint buildup around the sticker. Then clear the whole thing so that your surface is smooth in order to help hide the symbol in regular lighting scenarios.

I hope this helps you some. Good Luck with your paintjob!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I know it has been a while since I updated. I have been helping my boyfriend with his Death Trooper armor and then had a bday weekend away so I haven't had time to do anything. This weekend was more productive! Some good, some bad.

I finally decided on a final paint scheme and decided to do one similar to Boba Fett, but with pearl white, gloss black, metallic red, and chrome. Here is what the helmet looks like so far:
IMG_20691.jpg

After that I painted red and black stripes to see how I would like it:

IMG_20631.jpg

Then I did the same stripes on the stomach and thigh pieces and began weathering a bit. Here is the thigh piece so far:
IMG_20621.jpg

Still have some work left to do on it. I did some light weathering on the hand pieces, knees, and others:IMG_20611.jpgIMG_20651.jpg

I made the shoulders and knees chrome, and will be adding chrome to my helmet later on, but for now I have made good progress and will have to get more paint next weekend!
IMG_20671.jpg

If anyone has questions about what paints I used or how I did the weathering feel free to ask :)

Stay tuned!

I did not see this above but which helmet is that? Did you 3d print it or buy it from a maker? Thanks!

Hey all!

I went to town this weekend on painting and I'm about 90% done. Just a few details here and there, but here's how it looks now!
IMG_20170612_143608.jpg
IMG_20170612_143506.jpg
IMG_00241.jpg
IMG_00231.jpg
(this is what it will look like when I add the skull)

After this I have the following left:
Jumpsuit
Boots
Cape
(pistols?)

I had wanted to do a jet pack but by the time I found one it would not be done in time for comic Con :(

Stay tuned!

Hey @Achilla137 ! Your suit is coming along nicely! Have you donned it yet since the repaint?

No not yet! I'm so anxious to try it!! Next weekend I'll definitely put on everything and post pics!!

- - - Updated - - -

Really cool weathering!

Thanks! I watched a few videos on YouTube and I did a black acrylic + rubbing alcohol mix to do the first layer of grime, then took a wet brush and dipped it in brown acrylic, then flicked it on the armor and used a paper towel to dry it. The water helps it run a bit so it looks more like mud. Then I used a silver metallic acrylic for dry brushing to do the damage.

Update! Finished the breast plate, added the Mandalorian skull symbol and did the weathering. If anyone has questions on how I did the stencil I will go into more detail.
IMG_00591.jpg
IMG_00581.jpg

Now it was time to do a quick test fit! Keep in mind I will NOT be using this undersuit! My replacement undersuit is currently in progress. Pics later this week or possibly next weekend.
IMG_00551.jpg
(also my boots are at my other place so it looks odd haha)

Stay tuned for more updates soon!

Keep in mind I will NOT be using this undersuit!

I hate to admit it, but the 13 year old in me stopped reading after this and yelped "COMMANDO FETT!!!":D :love :$ :lol

My amazingly talented mom helped me make a vest for the suit. She did the design from scratch and I sewed along the dotted lines.

And then he said, "Wait, why's she wearing that cool vest?":wacko :lol

The adult in me apologizes for the 13 y.o. in me and would like to add that that vest is really neat!

Who came up with the idea for the ribbing? It's a great touch of detail! Clever on the closure system too, your mom's a keeper! Must be be where you get your cosplay drive from, with her being a pattern maker and all, eh?! I bet it's a wonderful treat having her involved with your passion.

Keep at it, it looks like you're almost there!

Hey Ridire Firean, thanks for the compliments :) for the ribbing I got the idea from Vhe Oyre at TDH, though I changed mine a bit and I did the hooks rather than her clear hooks

Another update! Just received my holster from JAFantasyArt (JessiArtnz) on Etsy! She was so nice in responding to my millions of questions and I got it really fast! It is real leather and fits perfect! I will post another picture when my main belt arrives and my blaster :D
holster.jpg

Looking great so far. Can't wait to see how it comes out!

Also...

I hate to admit it, but the 13 year old in me stopped reading after this and yelped "COMMANDO FETT!!!":D

I also want Commando Fett. Except that there apparently isn't an adult me. Or if there is he went to bed early.

Hey everyone!

Sorry I disappeared for a while. Last minute was rushing to get my bf's Death Trooper armor finished.

I managed to get my suit all put together and had a blast at San Diego Comic Con this year! Below are pictures from the event, I'll try to find some higher resolution ones later.

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back