Overwatch: Reinhardt 'Uprising Skin' - FINISHED!

Re: Overwatch: Reinhardt, Reaper and a lil D.Va [pic heavy]

AMAZING work! I love seeing how you're creating the arm mechanics... i was think overly complicated for my own build and now think I may steal some of your wise choices to keep it simple. :)

Count me subscribed! Can't wait to see more! :)
Heya. I know this is an older post of yours. I'm going to post soon on what i think i did right and all the things i got wrong.
The shoulder design was one of the things i think i got right ☺
mYzmj

Loving this build sir! Keep it up - that's got to be the best color I've seen on a Reinhardt yet! Can't wait to see more!
Help me Obi-MWiggs-Kenobi.. you're my only hope. .
As you will see in the below picture my toes sheared off at the hinge.
The wood was not as thick here as the foot rest but it was not super thin either. I also did not feel that this was going to be the weak point. As long as my strides were straight up, step, land then there should have been no real stress on the toes.
Anyway, i suited up in the carpark and even though it was close, 800m, my toes were gone before i hit the con.
I think because the carpark was rough and grabby on the eva on my soles that it just gripped too much causing extra stress and they just popped off.
So, i assume you were clever and suited up at the con and not risk rough surfaces. A smooth con floor wouldnt have ripped my toes off i dont think. Or, did you use something different on your soles than eva?

When i repair i will use thicker wood, more hinges and then finally not suit up till i hit the con floor. Despite the win the whole day was a learning experience including falling down the stairs at the end. Id practised stairs but the stage stairs were even smaller. I managed an entire staircase up and down at home lol.
d276c59df90488cb579670ccbc931888.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yikes that doesn't look good... Hope you didn't get hurt! Just looking at the photos am I right that you used MDF? Sounds like you're on the right track for fixing the problem tho. Definitely go thicker, more hinges or at least a wider one, and stay away from MDF wood when it comes to structural pieces. It works well for solid shapes like speaker boxes but doesn't hold up when it's subjected to constant movement. Stick to plywood or hard woods.
I built mine with 3/4" plywood and used a "piano" hinge that spanned the entire width of the foot. I padded the bottom with one layer of foam then added a bunch of the puzzle piece edges to the bottom to soften the step and maybe increase traction. I stumbled a bit on the ramp up to the stage, but I couldn't even dream of taking stairs so you're already one-up on me there! My big downfall was all the layers of foam I added around the toe which pretty much rendered the hinged section useless and pretty much solid. There's no flex left at all so it's very stiff to walk around in.

File Jun 23, 11 07 50 PM.jpeg

Stunning work all in all! Turned out great! I'd love to see a video to see how well you can move - the fact that you can raise your hands above your head is fantastic. Another one-up on me! Well done sir!

Yikes that doesn't look good... Hope you didn't get hurt! Just looking at the photos am I right that you used MDF? Sounds like you're on the right track for fixing the problem tho. Definitely go thicker, more hinges or at least a wider one, and stay away from MDF wood when it comes to structural pieces. It works well for solid shapes like speaker boxes but doesn't hold up when it's subjected to constant movement. Stick to plywood or hard woods.
I built mine with 3/4" plywood and used a "piano" hinge that spanned the entire width of the foot. I padded the bottom with one layer of foam then added a bunch of the puzzle piece edges to the bottom to soften the step and maybe increase traction. I stumbled a bit on the ramp up to the stage, but I couldn't even dream of taking stairs so you're already one-up on me there! My big downfall was all the layers of foam I added around the toe which pretty much rendered the hinged section useless and pretty much solid. There's no flex left at all so it's very stiff to walk around in.

View attachment 738375

Stunning work all in all! Turned out great! I'd love to see a video to see how well you can move - the fact that you can raise your hands above your head is fantastic. Another one-up on me! Well done sir!
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Yeah, it was a mdf style of wood so i thijk replacing that and using that hinge plus 2 gate style hinges either side should solve it. I wasnt able to find piano hinges the right size and i was worried cutting them to size would wreck them. I think ill use ply, steel strapping on the edge ang gate hinges. Having the toe move was great.
The stairs were fine going up but coming down i cant see my feet well and the handlers were great but i missed a stair and when i went over i think they were too worried about damaging the costume lol meanwhile my ankle was sideways, but they got me righted ok. Close though. The hall was empty by that point so no one saw ☺

Im gonna do 2 vids, one showing the movement range and one showing what i did wrong. The top body movement was definately a right

Also, the change i really want to make the most is the hands. They were fine for temporary hands but they look dead in most photos. So, im going to reverse them. By which im going to make them closed by default and open when activated. Im braining designs and getting excited as i type

Last edited:

Your suit up pics look incredible! It really does look stunning all put together. Too bad about the toes, having armor break at cons is the worst. At least it wasn't the hammer though ;)

Your suit up pics look incredible! It really does look stunning all put together. Too bad about the toes, having armor break at cons is the worst. At least it wasn't the hammer though ;)
Cheers. Ive been to the hardware and got all the required items for feet v2. To be honest the feet, shins and knees were my first parts and there was always a lot that i felt i could design better. So this Is just perfect to com be back and do them properly. For example the second id finished the feet i thought that it would have been so easy to make that ankle disc turn with the ankle movement even though theyre not connected. So serendipity

Design is an iterative process, the second time around is pretty much always better. I personally enjoy refining costumes and props more then the initial creation, as there is usually something that obviously needs fixing after the first full day wear. After some post-con TLC, armor costumes are so much easier to wear a second time, especially with large builds like yours. Luckily with a weathering job as heavy as yours, an untrained eye won't even be able to tell what's intentional and what's just wear from use, so you should get a bit more life out of it then other foam costumes.

I'd recommend looking into HDPE sheet plastic (which is what kitchen cutting boards are made from) for the feet as it's cheap, light, waterproof, and very stable. A 1/2" thick sheet would be suitable, and will keep the weight down a lot compared to plywood. Just my two cents.

Design is an iterative process, the second time around is pretty much always better. I personally enjoy refining costumes and props more then the initial creation, as there is usually something that obviously needs fixing after the first full day wear. After some post-con TLC, armor costumes are so much easier to wear a second time, especially with large builds like yours. Luckily with a weathering job as heavy as yours, an untrained eye won't even be able to tell what's intentional and what's just wear from use, so you should get a bit more life out of it then other foam costumes.

I'd recommend looking into HDPE sheet plastic (which is what kitchen cutting boards are made from) for the feet as it's cheap, light, waterproof, and very stable. A 1/2" thick sheet would be suitable, and will keep the weight down a lot compared to plywood. Just my two cents.
Cheers man, thanks for the link too..that is awesome. I've got the ply already but wood can be used for any future project. I'll check some HDPE near me, nice solution. In fact a couple of cheap cutting boards may even do the trick :)
The best thing is the bulk of the work is done. There's a lot I want to replace but if I don't get to it before the next Con then so be it. I've got time now so the parts I rushed that look ugly up close will go.
The main priorities are hands, feet, knees, lights and air conditioning. Carbon fibre paint will be replaced by Carbon Fibre skin, and the paint job will be finsihed more neatly.

Here is the break down and wrap up video of what I did right with Rein, what I got wrong with Rein and where he goes now ...it's fairly long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey! I think you need to recheck your vid settings m8. It says private only.

I joined the fb group you suggested and posted my cosplay. Thx for the tip btw! great cosplays on that page. Did you already start some changes on the hands and feet of your Rein?

-Hopli-

Will Reinhardt be coming up to Brisnova later in the yr? :D
It's in November so he should be repaired and upgraded by then...i won't rule it out but we'll see what the wife says hehe

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! I think you need to recheck your vid settings m8. It says private only.

I joined the fb group you suggested and posted my cosplay. Thx for the tip btw! great cosplays on that page. Did you already start some changes on the hands and feet of your Rein?

-Hopli-
Fixed the link now..sorry old man is old and social media is hard lol :/ I've only put thought into the upgrade so far. I am re-unfolding the feet so i'll screen cap that as a video for those who haven't seen how useful armorsmith is and i'll keep this thread going till it's done. :)
I have bought the plastic for the new feet though and my lighting controllers arrive this week as well as my carbon fibre.

I've redone the unfold for the MkII Boot. I did a little time lapse of the unfold. With some dodgy narrative and explanations I hope it helps someone. As always, thanks for watching. Please click like, comment etc. It makes me feel loved <3

I've redone the unfold for the MkII Boot. I did a little time lapse of the unfold. With some dodgy narrative and explanations I hope it helps someone. As always, thanks for watching. Please click like, comment etc. It makes me feel loved <3 https://youtu.be/BB680n-pzvk

ly <3 LeClubNerd

EDIT: Love the unfold, I did 3D for a few years, makes me think of unmapping (mapping?) for texturing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back