Overwatch: Reinhardt 'Uprising Skin' - FINISHED!

Re: Overwatch: Reinhardt, Reaper and a lil D.Va [pic heavy]

Awesome info! I've reached out to print shop in town that I work with all the time to see if they can score me a couple sheets to play with! This seems like the perfect stuff to help keep a build this size in the right shape, without adding too much weight!

Thanks!
Yes sir it sure would be. It is amazing stuff.

This build is amazing! Can't wait to see Rein all finished up. I'm super interested in that material you used for the fingers. Where did you source it from in Aus and/or how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

This build is amazing! Can't wait to see Rein all finished up. I'm super interested in that material you used for the fingers. Where did you source it from in Aus and/or how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?
I got it from a company in Sydney which you can find online plasticwholesale.com.au. Because it was only available in industrial order size I had to get it delievered and because I had to get it delivered I had to hit a price threshold. So I bought 2 sheets and It totalled $189... but that has made me 2 sets of Boba Fett, I Boba Jett Pack and these hands ..with a whole sheet left to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

I got it from a company in Sydney which you can find online plasticwholesale.com.au. Because it was only available in industrial order size I had to get it delievered and because I had to get it delivered I had to hit a price threshold. So I bought 2 sheets and It totalled $189... but that has made me 2 sets of Boba Fett, I Boba Jett Pack and these hands ..with a whole sheet left to use.
Awesome, thanks for that! It looks like an awesome material. Might see if I can get a small sample somewhere and test it out. it could definitely come in handy for some smaller armoured costumes I have planned.

Awesome, thanks for that! It looks like an awesome material. Might see if I can get a small sample somewhere and test it out. it could definitely come in handy for some smaller armoured costumes I have planned.
Let me know if they wont do samples and ill send you a piece

Last edited:

From here on out i'll just call it Palight. That'sn the trademarked name of it here in Oz... anyway, as noted I love it for it's sheer versatility.
It's time to add the thumb, obviously it is a totally different shape and size to the fingers so i'm just going to free hand it.
First i make a template for how it will connect to the hand base out of paper..in case you haven't noticed i'm the cut first measure second type of builder and i didn't think about the thumb .. well i did but i thought i'd figure it our later, so that's what we do now, figure it out :)
So i cut a simple pattern on paper, fit it to the thumb area and then cut it out of Palight, heat it then bend to shape.
bpCWT8P.jpg

PmVZ0JO.jpg

5QfUa3J.jpg

I don't glue it in yet so I can add the holes and a support strut at the back
UY5ndhy.jpg

I then add event more support because there is the VERY slim possibility that this rig can hold the handle of the hammer ... so just in case it can i'm beefing it up.
ViviBCr.jpg

I test fit again and then hot glue it into place
DNqa93p.jpg

jQIiVcL.jpg

I make a paper termplate for how i think the thumb joint should be then cut it bend it and add it to place in the same manner as the fingers
NsE6jxK.jpg

and here's where we are... the thumb installed and bungee'd in.
HfK6q2P.jpg

The best bit about the Palight is that it's held in with hot glue..so if i heat up the entire region then i can bend and reform the entire thing... like that thumb appears to be on an unnatural angle... well it was when the photo was taken. It's not now because i just heated it and lent on it a bit :)
Anyway, these photos are from yesterday..not feeling so well today so i'll post this then have a lie down but if you have questions let me know and i'll reply.

As always, thanks very much for taking the time to look.

Looking awesome and actually doesn't look that hard to walk in!? I don't know after a period of time how it will be though.

And thanks for the info about the plastic, I'll also have to check it out as I'm wanting to eventually do a Republic Commando build :)

Oh! And I'm hoping you feel better :)

Looking awesome and actually doesn't look that hard to walk in!? I don't know after a period of time how it will be though.

And thanks for the info about the plastic, I'll also have to check it out as I'm wanting to eventually do a Republic Commando build :)

Oh! And I'm hoping you feel better :)
Cheers, yep on the mend. Just working on that hand ..i'll post pics at the end of the night.

Arm day:

I grabbed some super long cable ties and tied one end to the cord and selaed it with a drop of hot glue then attached a second cable tie to the end of the other..this will be used to tension the string when i have pulled them through to the controls.
qhn1two.jpg

jJYn0Vr.jpg

I now glue the arm tube into place
LTWJyx3.jpg

lZ6YOx2.jpg

I cut the topes off of 3 deoderant roll ons and wash them out, the roller ends will be attached pointing down into the gutter of the arm tube so the wrist has some twist action without rubbing.. i don't think it will roll but it will move better than PVC on PVC and will have less resistance so the wrist movement should be easy. I also cut the finger rings.
s0SE4Rc.jpg

I cut 3 flaps in the tube, eventually these will fold flat and the roller balls attached to them for the swivel but i can't fold them flat till ive pushed the tube into the arm for the final time so for now the slot gives me access to the second connection of the cable tie so i can tension.
1WyiB9b.jpg

I fold the cable tie in half, hot glue it then strap it with electrical tape, i then drill through both section and thread the key ring loop and attach the finger holder to that.
ZiwU8rv.jpg

I reach through the flap and tighten the cable ties untill the finger is just about to start moving and give it a test, it works :)
ZNsfqkC.jpg

The thumb is so tricky, eventually i run it down the top then attach it near my thumb but even then the motion is limited.
QT9VhCV.jpg

The stresses on the PVC pipe where i've melted and bent it are starting to show and when i pull all 5 fingers the force bends the handle towards the hole..eventually i think that will snap it off so i threw on some aluminium bars.
QPbuEAf.jpg

I start to skin it with 2mm foam. It looks a bit messy especially on the tips but armour and the knuckle dusters cover most of this anyway.
g8GwajL.jpg

kupYB7C.jpg

And finally I add some 2 mm foam to the finger bits because it is ripping my hands apart and move the thumb over the top and attach with a rubber band. Obviously i won't be able to see or have a second hand to slip my own hand into this so I have practiced getting my hand in by itself and not looking and I can do it fine.
7IcivrE.jpg

Any suggestions on getting the thumb going better are welcome, I'm not going to install this hand just yet whislt I think about it, also the 2mm foam has made it harder to move the fingers so I may trim it back further.

Onto the much easier left hand. :)

As always, thanks for looking.

Time for the left hand: This hand will not be articulated... well it will grip by one articulation point but not have full movement.

I sketch out the size roughly.
gK9HQez.jpg

I then cut it to shape. The sketch seems ok.
tpFUamE.jpg

I heat up and bend the fingers into shape, this hand will be mostly a fist as it will be holding the hammer handle.
hbPoEYu.jpg

VNWf24u.jpg

OW5ve1v.jpg

VElYPwI.jpg

I then cut some of my larger plumbing insulation to size and insert it into the grooves.
V5Di5p5.jpg

I then use me dremel to take off any sharp corners from where the bends are in the fingers.
JefCknU.jpg

And I decide he'll have his pinky in the 'holding a cup of tea' position because he's Rein and holding a hammer ain't no thang.
JefCknU.jpg

I cut some darts into the main body of the fingers so the hand will curl a bit.
1knr8wn.jpg

I then attach the cord for the one piece of movement.. only on one finger, this will pull this finger tight and hold the hammer, i don't think it will have to be much, between the friction between the foam and the weight of the hammer I don't see it moving out of the hand.. we'll see I guess.
CTkwkM2.jpg

2mm foam.. it's not neat but the armour will go on and neaten it up.
16XzeK0.jpg

attached with hot glue and cable ties. I've also tied the cord onto the cable tie so i can pull it up to the elbow.
08k9FCF.jpg

On the pinky i temporarlity throw on some cable ties then heat it up. this should make marks for the finger joints.
NKUyUxm.jpg

Hand temporarily connected for fit. I won't connect it till it's painted.
zSfn1v7.jpg

jAtaQLb.jpg

I start the final armour pieces on both hands.. i've not been looking forward to this piece and i'm not 100% happy. So for now i'm setting the hands aside.. tehcnically they're done they just need clean up, detailing, painting and installing.
yBSCLrL.jpg

and one more shot for scale
QtrNFPC.jpg

I set the hands aside now... it's hammer time :)

Hammer:
xIH4czU.jpg

Majority of pieces cut out.
AEFfs8i.jpg

I've been looking forward to doing the lion for ages, I bought a small battery powered soldering iron so I could hold it like a pencil but it just didn't have the grunt to burn properly so I used my normal soldering iron, it's harder to handle because the cold part of the handle is so far back it's like drawing with a broom, nevertheless i'm happy with this part and can't wait to see it painted and scuffed up :)
69evPrO.jpg

This is a very interesting build seeing how it's not from a template on the internet can't wait to see how it turns out! ;p (excited to see how D.Va turns out)

Almost there with Rein. Working the hammer and in between throwing some paint around. Not alot of pics this time.
I have this vid from a few days a go of the hand before it was skinned. The thumb is not connected in this vid i don't think.
Here is the embedded...
..and here is the link in case it doesn't work. https://youtu.be/VIE5KzXs4s0\
I threw the chest light in. Because it's white and all the other lights will be blue and are on a RGB strip i did this one seperately.
Y1osyqT.jpg

Piles of parts out to paint...lots of finger armour here
aipTdKp.jpg

kyVAj6u.jpg

I'm enjoying the hammer, i'm taking my time and trying to make the seams neat... i' mean try is the operative word
H89C6By.jpg

GNjtvya.jpg

Yep, messy seams lol..it's ok, I can sand these ones back
ExZWW4Y.jpg

The lion thruster cover...can't wait to paint this.
4JfbI1W.jpg

Just a handful of the parts ready to go on.
IYC8euQ.jpg

Some parts wiating for weathering then installation.
RFr4Ywg.jpg

I'm going to hit my deadline fine for Saturday but i'm only on the reserve list for Supanova's Cosplay Comp. There are 9 people on reserve list in front of me too... so I have to hope 10 people drop out of the comp to get a spot. That's not impossible though, i've dropped out by not finishing in time before so others might too.
Also, i'm gonna stand in front of the registration table and just tap my hammer on my palm... just intimidate people a bit :) ..they'll make room lol.

Attachments

• Y1osyqT.jpg
    Y1osyqT.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Y1osyqT.jpg
    Y1osyqT.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Y1osyqT.jpg
    Y1osyqT.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 234
  • aipTdKp.jpg
    aipTdKp.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 199
  • aipTdKp.jpg
    aipTdKp.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 198
  • aipTdKp.jpg
    aipTdKp.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 196
  • kyVAj6u.jpg
    kyVAj6u.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 230
  • kyVAj6u.jpg
    kyVAj6u.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 210
  • kyVAj6u.jpg
    kyVAj6u.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 193
  • H89C6By.jpg
    H89C6By.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 186
  • H89C6By.jpg
    H89C6By.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 214
  • H89C6By.jpg
    H89C6By.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 210
  • GNjtvya.jpg
    GNjtvya.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 201
  • GNjtvya.jpg
    GNjtvya.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 212
  • GNjtvya.jpg
    GNjtvya.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 214
  • ExZWW4Y.jpg
    ExZWW4Y.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 204
  • ExZWW4Y.jpg
    ExZWW4Y.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 181
  • ExZWW4Y.jpg
    ExZWW4Y.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 4JfbI1W.jpg
    4JfbI1W.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 4JfbI1W.jpg
    4JfbI1W.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 4JfbI1W.jpg
    4JfbI1W.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IYC8euQ.jpg
    IYC8euQ.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IYC8euQ.jpg
    IYC8euQ.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IYC8euQ.jpg
    IYC8euQ.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 235
  • RFr4Ywg.jpg
    RFr4Ywg.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 149
  • RFr4Ywg.jpg
    RFr4Ywg.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 216
  • RFr4Ywg.jpg
    RFr4Ywg.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 218

This is a very interesting build seeing how it's not from a template on the internet can't wait to see how it turns out! ;p (excited to see how D.Va turns out)
Heya thanks. Sorry, the D'Va was just for my daughter who is 10. So i only made the gun and headset. I ordered the suit.. it was a few posts back.
81TM0F8.jpg
It's nothing special, it would have been more fun if all three of us were Overwatched up for the day but I fell behind schedule. :)

Amazing - and if you don't get in down south just come up to Brisnova :D

Today is finishing hammer, rubbing back Maskol, detailing and maybe some Reaper day. Just today and tomorrow to go... ahhh sheee just remembered the lights...lights today too :/

Anyway, this is the most satisfying feeling... i didn't rub the Maskol back off of the finer armour parts because I wanted to make sure I kept the sheen of the metal so I just lifted the edge with a pin and peeled it off... anyone who has worked with Maskol can tell you how nice a feeling this is. Anyway, I aslo kept some Maskol on there and through lumps and bumps at the con this will come off organically.
uo2Le1H.jpg

And here is the repair on the foot that was run over. I didn't have time to re-do it so i've tried to make it look like melted repaired metal... i still have't fully detailed any part on the suit yet, like silver higlights and rust marks etc. That will all be done in acrylic on the last night.
I think this will pass... no choice really. Itn will look better when i finish the detail.
977R8NT.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted lately but I was pushing to the last minute to get it done.

Firstly, I made it into the competition. I got very lucky and a few people did not turn up and register.
So here is my first full suit up in the carpark.
WnJVYho.jpg

My toes broke off, i needed to use thicker wood. The foam grip of the eva foam on the gravel kept catching which made the wood weak then break. Also, the way the wood broke off caused one of the stilts to collapse so when I got in and registered I went straight to the Cosplay Repair centre and they were just awesome.
The stilt didn't last the day so my heel was at the right height but my toes were on their tips, i can't complain too much because i expect that's what wearing heels must be like for the ladies.
Here is me with Vera Chimera https://www.facebook.com/verachimera/
Ik4VCPN.jpg

This is how it looked the next morning in the car.. the best part of cosplay is always taking it off,
Also, that's a 2 door Rav 4, so it's tiny, i removed the rear seats to fit it in and my son had an arm on his lap the entire way. Not comfortable.
n2jPK3J.jpg

And here's where it is now...awaiting repairs and upgrades. There were so many things I left off in the final crunch, the hand armour, the shield, the lights ..lots of things to upgrade and to make it more comfortable. I don't know what it weighs (i'm going to weigh it soon) but even with the weight evenly spread across both shoulders it got too much at the 5 hour mark.
llJTr6x.jpg

And here is the make up, I used Rigid Collodion to make the scar, I put down some eyeliner, then the Rigic Collodion, then more and more till I was happy with the depth of the scar, then went over the scar with some lipstick and finally some concealer to tone it down. My wife is a hari dresser and against her better judgement she bleached my hair for me then mixed the product so I could do my beard. This part hurt alot and I don't recommend it. She's also not happy I shaved a gap in my eyebrow. And try as I might I could not get the blind contact lens in, i've never worn contacts before and I should have had a practice.
E8WGbis.jpg

And that's all the photos I have so far, alot were taken but not by me :( So i'll just wait for them to appear on social media.n If you know anyone that was there and took some please point them in my direction :)

Also, I won best in show :) ..anyway, as noted my Reinhardt is not finished yet so there will still be updates. As always thanks for your support and thanks for reading.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back