Overwatch: Reinhardt 'Uprising Skin' - FINISHED!

Re: Overwatch: Reinhardt, Reaper and a lil D.Va [pic heavy]

So...

I can stop now... no use... i'll be dwarfed next to this cosplay.
Literally and figuratively (<- i had to google the spelling on these). :D

SOoon!!!!

Man, your soldier is sweet as. Its just a shame there are 2 continents between us. I don't think id get away with this as carry on luggage lol
I have found a Uprising Mercy to have photos with on the day though.. and if course little Reaper will have my back too.

Last edited:

It's looking amazing! I can wait to see it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today I had a day of rest... the only thing I worked on was my beard.
Wf8V4W5.jpg

..and perhaps I did try it on for the first full fit.
Not showing yet but I am very happy :)

Tjeeeezzzz the teasee....

Very warm i guess?

-Hopli-
i only had it on for 5 minutes but it was pretty cool.
When its on the stand it weighs a ton. Im going to weigh it thus week but my son cant lift it when its combined and i need both hands and have to use some effort.. when its on though the weight distribution os amazing it feels like im hardly wearing it.
I still want to have it sit higher but it does look correct even if i cant manage it.
I have 3 large fans i was going to put in and now im not sure ill need them as it seems airy enough. Ill put them in anyway when i do the rest of the electronics if i dont need to turn them on then fine but if i need them then theyre there.

Ok, well... you put your test vid up so it would be rude not to put mine up too.
Here's an uncropped shot... please note that there is still lot's of details, parts and weathering to sort out and this is in no way shape or form the finished article.

CYmM6Tb.jpg

and here's the vid ..once again, the feet are connected to the calves but the thighs are floating, they are not connected at the knee or groin so they are still to be sorted and almost cause me to trip. Also, the left hand is connected to the elbow but the right hand is not so looks a bit floppy.

I can't get the embedded link to work... direct link --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxl0zNoZYrk

Also, Randy just dropped his new update for Armorsmith the software that has enabled me to get this the scaling I felt was right... I haven't updated yet because I want to make sure my old files are safe till i'm done with this big guy... BUT the new version can take STL files as well as Pepakura files... and this caught my eye. I'm not sure what the unfold would look like but i'm looking forward to finding out :)
NKZQ50w.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/groups/381730342034863/

Last edited:

Just saw the video of you walking around on your FB page... LOOKING AWESOME!!!

Ok, well... you put your test vid up so it would be rude not to put mine up too.
Here's an uncropped shot... please note that there is still lot's of details, parts and weathering to sort out and this is in no way shape or form the finished article.

http://i.imgur.com/CYmM6Tb.jpg

and here's the vid ..once again, the feet are connected to the calves but the thighs are floating, they are not connected at the knee or groin so they are still to be sorted and almost cause me to trip. Also, the left hand is connected to the elbow but the right hand is not so looks a bit floppy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxl0...ature=youtu.be

Also, Randy just dropped his new update for Armorsmith the software that has enabled me to get this the scaling I felt was right... I haven't updated yet because I want to make sure my old files are safe till i'm done with this big guy... BUT the new version can take STL files as well as Pepakura files... and this caught my eye. I'm not sure what the unfold would look like but i'm looking forward to finding out :)
http://i.imgur.com/NKZQ50w.jpg https://www.facebook.com/groups/381730342034863/

You didn't have to do that for me man! Still looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!! It looks more sturdy and rigid then most Reinhardt's i saw. Stunning!

Just saw the video of you walking around on your FB page... LOOKING AWESOME!!!

Thx for this tip pazcall, couldn't get the youtube vid to work here :D

-Hopli-

Youve been very supportive on tbe days ive felt lazy. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ill look at that link when i get home. Sorry :/

Today is hand day.
I started last night by finishing off the hand shells.
zgpUZ4C.jpg

NsJ2E6O.jpg

I then reinforced the curve of the hand with some aerated PVC (Sintra)
3QticOh.jpg

9xqOqlV.jpg

Then put a deck of PVC inside for added strength. At the moment this seems solid but may need some more reinforcement once the extra stresses are added in. Anyway i'm leaving the top of the hand and wrist open for now so I can and probably will add more. The aerated PVC is light and this is an important part... in fact seeing as i'm not wearing the helmet i'd say it's 'the' most important part..for me anyway.
EzmanlX.jpg

I get the whole rubber ligament thing ...
PEkXnz5.jpg

But then I don't ...
eEExiah.jpg

I mean I do .. because it works.
But my test version is bad ..so clearly i don't
B62lJxO.jpg

but..i know what the problem is so I can solve it.
ie6TlP5.jpg

The pivot point is wrong... I've already redrawn my hands and my skeleton is being drawn onto the aerated pvc as I type.. with my other hand ... clearly :)

As always thanks for looking

I've got a lot more pics but i'm gonna carry on... but here's where I am... i'll explain it in more detail at the end of the day.
mMXMK6v.jpg

My initial idea was to have the fingers as simple as possible but working. I was going to do this by inserting the test structure into some appropriately wide EVA pipe insulation.. the same stuff i'm using for the pipes on Rein's body and hammer but thicker.
However as my test was so poor I had to change plans. So now that I figured out how the mechanism actually works I drew up some plans based on the size of the pieces of armour that sits over his fingers.
pju4bce.jpg

I cut out the templates in halves so i'd draw it then flip it.
lfF7SM2.jpg

I cut out the parts in aerated PVC (Sintra)
HzvZYIA.jpg

Then heated them up and shaped them round a PVC pips coupling
tXm4p3T.jpg

I folded the tops in..they're not meant to go all the way around and connect I'm leaving a channel for the bungee cord.
ZjdFAUg.jpg

I then cut some small parts to go inside each digit to form the bottom of the channel and the end piece has a hole for the bungee cord to attach.
4pUwqNw.jpg

Hot glued inside
2iDykHj.jpg

Then i bolted them togethor with Chicago screws.
xjCX5XE.jpg

fsktWSV.jpg

The bungee then runs down the channel in the top.
Zi2bIat.jpg

This would get sealed in by the EVA foam skin anyway but i didn't want the bungee rubbing on the foam so i cut some squares to keep the bungee in the channel.
FqybPn2.jpg

I drill the holes for the cords and open little windows to attach the semi-circle finger attachments.
IhNiz9c.jpg

I attach the semi-circles and can now attach the finger for testing.
7njsuFb.jpg

gMfyXaY.jpg

gJNLZf4.jpg

FJ2hPdk.jpg

It worked out OK so rinse repeat..cut cut cut.
fwLDGTk.jpg

Fingers placed but not attached yet
ywmxUwn.jpg
'
All bungee'd in
2M1JfIF.jpg

and the underneath
uoWMLdT.jpg

Just need to attach it to the arm tube and wrist mechanism and skin it.

That one fingered hand is making rude gestures....

:D. They look amazing man. Will you be wearing/carry any weapon. If so, do you got a plan to keep it in the hands?

-Hopli-

That one fingered hand is making rude gestures....

:D. They look amazing man. Will you be wearing/carry any weapon. If so, do you got a plan to keep it in the hands?

-Hopli-
Hah. I didn't see that.. I just started with the longest finger so I could just shave off as i made the others ..whoops :)
Yeah, the left hand won't be articulated at all, it will just be holding a tube, which you won't see, which the hammer handle will be inserted into to hold it over my shoulder.
Cheers, your soldier is looking the business as well. How long till your Convention? I have 9 days now i think [not including today] ... i'd better put the hammer down lolo pun intended.

Hah. I didn't see that.. I just started with the longest finger so I could just shave off as i made the others ..whoops :)
Yeah, the left hand won't be articulated at all, it will just be holding a tube, which you won't see, which the hammer handle will be inserted into to hold it over my shoulder.
Cheers, your soldier is looking the business as well. How long till your Convention? I have 9 days now i think [not including today] ... i'd better put the hammer down lolo pun intended.

Gamescom is only end of August. But I have to sign up beofre the 1st of August. Plenty of time, but I rather be prepared. You should come... its only Germany... :p.

-Hopli-

Gamescom is only end of August. But I have to sign up beofre the 1st of August. Plenty of time, but I rather be prepared. You should come... its only Germany... :p.

-Hopli-
I'll take a good photo...print me out on cardboard lifesize :)
Sombra and Symetra are going to be at Supanova...maybe you should come to Sydney lol

Amazing work on the hands!

I'm always looking for good (but lightweight) structural support material. Can you provide a link to the PVC (Sintra) you're using? What thickness are you working with for this?

Thanks!

Amazing work on the hands!

I'm always looking for good (but lightweight) structural support material. Can you provide a link to the PVC (Sintra) you're using? What thickness are you working with for this?

Thanks!
Cheers
The PVC has different names in differences countries but they tend to be trademark names its called Palight in Australia, Sintra in America and something else in the UK.
The properties are it can be cut simply with a craft knife, bends when heated but holds its shape when it cools and sands like its MDF... it really is my favourite product to work with.
I found out about it on thedentedhelmet.com alot of the makers there use it for their Boba Fett armour or jetpacks. Here on the RPF there's a few ironman builds that have used it.
Here is my original receipt -
Foam PVC
Length: 2440mm
Width: 1220mm
Thickness: 3mm
Weight: 6.7kg
Colour: White Palight ®

As you can see i had to buy an industrial size order its a very uncommon item here in Oz it took me forever to find.
All i know is that the trademark name in the USA is Sintra. Ill check TDH for you and see what i can find.

Edit: here ya go http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25594 its only a thread but i hope it helps you fi d some. Its an awesome product. At the end of the day its aerated pvc

Last edited:

Foam PVC
Length: 2440mm
Width: 1220mm
Thickness: 3mm
Weight: 6.7kg
Colour: White Palight ®

Awesome info! I've reached out to print shop in town that I work with all the time to see if they can score me a couple sheets to play with! This seems like the perfect stuff to help keep a build this size in the right shape, without adding too much weight!

Thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back