Overwatch: Reinhardt 'Uprising Skin' - FINISHED!

Re: Overwatch: Reinhardt, Reaper and a lil D.Va [pic heavy]

AMAZING work! I love seeing how you're creating the arm mechanics... i was think overly complicated for my own build and now think I may steal some of your wise choices to keep it simple. :)

Count me subscribed! Can't wait to see more! :)

What a bloody awesome build! Thanks for being so detailed, I have been looking for a better filler and it seems like you have found one :D definitely going to bunnings on the weekend and picking up a tube of that. Oh! If you are using duplicolor paint atm they have 2 small cans for $22 at supercheap auto save $8. I also want to ask how you do the paint rubbing off look, I know you mentioned you mask off the areas after you painted the silver but how did you get the areas to not look so blocky? Hopefully that makes sense... haha

Last edited:

AMAZING work! I love seeing how you're creating the arm mechanics... i was think overly complicated for my own build and now think I may steal some of your wise choices to keep it simple. :)

Count me subscribed! Can't wait to see more! :)
I have a tendency to plan over complex things for example I bought 4 electro magnets that were going to go into his palms because I wanted him to be able to pick the hammer up by pressing a switch on the arm tube then having the fingers close around and toggle them in place with some sort of locking mechanism. The magnets can hold about 5kg each so should be able to pick up 20kg.. that's in a perfact world though having perfectly flat surfaces etc and the more batteries i was adding into the backpack was starting to be more than I wanted.
The simpler solution was to have the left hand hold the hammer over his shoulder and then put full efforts into the right hand with proper articulation and wrist movement :)
The simple things are often the best. Anyway, waiting for paint to dry at the moment whilst I procrastinate playing the game... I guess i should finish the torso today... HAH we'll see

What a bloody awesome build! Thanks for being so detailed, I have been looking for a better filler and it seems like you have found one :D definitely going to bunnings on the weekend and picking up a tube of that. Oh! If you are using duplicolor paint atm they have 2 small cans for $22 at supercheap auto save $8. I also want to ask how you do the paint rubbing off look, I know you mentioned you mask off the areas after you painted the silver but how did you get the areas to not look so blocky? Hopefully that makes sense... haha
Thanks, Supercheap has been my goto for my auto paint and my Plastidip, but i ran out of Plastidip so I thought ..i'll look on ebay and i found some Aussie suppliers selling the kind of Plastidip that most people buying for their car don't want, so the colours are odd like bright blue, fluero yellow and clear, it doesn't matter to me though because we paint over it.. and it's $5 a can instead of $25... bargain. So I got the clear stuff, in retrospect blue would have been better so i can see where it goes on better.
The masking is a 2 step process..or more depending on the level of detail.
Step 1. Coat your entire peice in Plastidip to seal it then spray the areas that you want to show as metal scratches with silver or chrome, if you don't know where you want to put your scratches then spray the entire thing.
Step 2. Purchase some Humbrol Maskol https://www.humbrol.com/us-en/maskol-28ml-bottle.html you can find on ebay readily in Oz so you'll be fine, harder to find in shops though. Apply the Maskol where you want the silver to be, it goes on as a liquid and I use a broken wooden skewer like a bad brush to hit the areas, it then dries to a thin coat of rubber... like this, it dries pretty quick too.
70PJ6CU.jpg

Wherever that purple is is protected fromthe paint.
I've got some pieces part way through right now so i'll show you more of the process and take a few more detailed photos.

Step 3. The piece below is a simpler piece with no carbon fibre or silver parts, it's plain blue and white. So I painted the white first, let it dry properly, then masked it off using painters tape and a plastic bag. Painters tape comes in yellow, green and blue and different widths, Bunnings is your go to. The colour doesn't matter i'm pretty sure it denotes how long it will stick for, blue is 14 days and i'm not sure about the others but the features of it are mainly, if applied properly it won't peel off the paint you just painted on... hopefully. It can also be bent and curved to mask complex shapes. You can see in this shot i've used the yellow tape. Then i've gone hell for leather and given it a good solid coat or two of the cheap $5 dark blue. It looks awaful and you'll feel like you've just ruined your piece that you've slaved over for so long..also, you can see my bad seams...sshh it's a feature, no judging :)
d99xmk1.jpg

I then give it a very light even coat of the expensive auto paint... it's literally just a dusting, it looks like glitter coing out of the can.
nCgP5gB.jpg

and here's a close up....
VY39gcg.jpg

Here you can see the rough seems, and if you look closely you can see the Maskol in what look like bubbles and drips in the paint...when i did the Maskol back when it was silver I also randomly run the Maskol covered wooden skewer over all bad seems. So it randomly will put scratches there as well as my larger deliberate ones.

When that dusting of metallic blue dries i'll post the next step.

Last edited:

I tried to look for some cheaper plastidip a couple of months ago but gave up because I couldn't find any so I've been using flexbond to seal, looks like I better look again!
Thanks heaps for all the info, you've taught me sooooo much will be waiting for your next step :D
Oh and by the way you're not in Melbourne are you? The weather looks too good so I'm guessing you're not haha

I tried to look for some cheaper plastidip a couple of months ago but gave up because I couldn't find any so I've been using flexbond to seal, looks like I better look again!
Thanks heaps for all the info, you've taught me sooooo much will be waiting for your next step :D
Oh and by the way you're not in Melbourne are you? The weather looks too good so I'm guessing you're not haha
Wollongong, just south of Sydney... it's sunny but 15 degrees...bloody freezing. Takes longer for the paint to dry :(

Wollongong, just south of Sydney... it's sunny but 15 degrees...bloody freezing. Takes longer for the paint to dry :(

Ah damn! Won't get to see reinhardt up close as well :(
I know, I have this feeling that when I start painting it will rain everyday:(

Step 4. Carefully and slowly take off the tape for all the masked areas.. not the Maskol, be very careful if the tape has gone over areas with the Maskol to peel even slower. As you can see here I didn't mask that well and some blue got through to my white. That's Ok... this is a feature now.
The painters tape can lift a bit, I masked these areas last night and din't push it down very hard because I didn't want to peel off the white when I lifted the tape off.
kd6dtLe.jpg

Here's a close up and you can see the Maskol under the white paint. You can also see that I probably should have put another layer of Plastidip on.. but i think it'll have to pass.
evuVSYz.jpg

Step 5. Break out the airbrush. You don't need an airbrush a can of matt black spraypaint is good enough, i did some of the other pieces with spraycans when i ran out of black airbrush paint, you just have to be a bit more controlled. Anyway, go to the areas where it bled through and cover them.. that's now 'carbon scoring', 'exhaust burns' and 'ash from the bodies of your dead enemies'. Run black along all your bad seams... look for where the Maskol is.
bXuPChU.jpg

It look slike i've overdone it here... but we'll see when i rub it back. The advantage of airbrush over spraycan is that the airbrush is acrylic.. i can wet this back a bit.
vtF6HaL.jpg

5dyPTth.jpg

These are drying now, won't take long. As noted it's acrylic on the black layer.

Step 6. There are a couple of ways to lift the Maskol off, you can delicately use a pin to grab the edge and then very satisfyingly peel it off ... or you can rub the area and peel it off that way. The second way is messier on your hands and may smudge your paint work but i prefer it especially when you can't remember all the spots you put the Maskol.
62961mR.jpg

RbDTpWk.jpg

SfKYoGt.jpg

btlpdew.jpg

regknuD.jpg

It's not perfect by all means but it's quick and effective. The process works 100 times better on surfaces that aren't soft ie. Sintra. It does however take the focus of your eyes from the bad seams to make them look scuffed welds rather than bad faom work... which I freely admit it is.

Step 7. Go back in with some dry brushed silver and the some black to really get into the details... i haven't done that yet.

Anyway, the work continues :)

Last edited:

Tssss first world Australian problems... in Belgium we call that a warm day :p.

That being said XD, its looking great man! Did you do your make-up test yet?

-Hopli-

Tssss first world Australian problems... in Belgium we call that a warm day :p.

That being said XD, its looking great man! Did you do your make-up test yet?

-Hopli-
I imagine it gets a hell of a lot colder there brrrr. 15 is cold for here should be 19ish this time of year winter doesnt start till Friday. So cold in the garage im being lazy on the sofa instead :)
Not done the make up test yet next weekend looks like it.
Thanks for your words of encouragement... maybe ill go finish that chest logo instead of procrastinating ;)

I imagine it gets a hell of a lot colder there brrrr. 15 is cold for here should be 19ish this time of year winter doesnt start till Friday. So cold in the garage im being lazy on the sofa instead :)
Not done the make up test yet next weekend looks like it.
Thanks for your words of encouragement... maybe ill go finish that chest logo instead of procrastinating ;)

A yeah, the moment you lose the drive to continue. Had that with my previous ones aswell. Its better now than it used to be, but still it happens. Nevertheless I should be done soon!

Keep on going man! You can do it!

-Hopli-

The results look awesome, and the detailed explanation was fantastic. It's looking really good! Now time to order my paint...:D

The results look awesome, and the detailed explanation was fantastic. It's looking really good! Now time to order my paint...:D
Thanks very much. As noted .. it's not perfect. I'd love the time to really smooth all those seams out properly but he's just so big and i'm so lazy :)

Anyway, i was replacing the chest light logo part.
So I freehanded the logo onto some aerated PVC and cut it out with my craft knife and gave it a light sand... here it is with a the disposable salad bowel container i'm using.
ugWFcO9.jpg

I then sprayed it with primer and this time instead of cutting up blue plastic folder and trying to bend it to shape I got the automotive paint and gave it a lgith dust on the inside of the bowel. I tested it on some 2mm prespex to see if the light is fully blocked or translucent and it's translucent so that was a win... no seams and no messing with blue folder plastic.
hYYYVK9.jpg

I then gave it a spray of black and test fit it
47CwgyY.jpg

While all the above was drying i started on the hands.
HCb36nJ.jpg

yXUeOFB.jpg

uz88UjQ.jpg

While contact cement was drying for joining I rattled off a stencil for the logo, he has the OW logo on eahc forearm so now I can just airbrush it on.
0Ie1Uc0.jpg

And there was a slight setback, my wife backed the car out of the garage and when the garage door went it up it knocked the mic stand over with the suit on and knocked one of my feet under the car wheel and it got run over... so the important thing is the internal wood, hinge and spring structure inside is intact.... if time allows i'll replace or if time does not allow i'll repair and do some battle damage.
kbcnAfA.jpg

Last edited:

The logo has started to look more like i'd envsioned it ..
I superglued the sintra part in then cut some foam to diffuse the light..cut some yellow plastic off of a JB-HiFi bag as well...thanks JB.
bOwFxml.jpg

from the outside
lk8FJMy.jpg

Glued in..
VCmVK2p.jpg

and up to the light..
KWA0WKG.jpg

yes, i see it too... i've already fixed it ...the yellow didn't reach the corner.
Old and new side by side.
qdphLz2.jpg

Waiting for paint to dry ...it's cold again and this time not sunny
n2BG2EX.jpg

These parts are weathered but not had the Maskol rubbed off yet.
XCDQwGx.jpg

YeHEdSH.jpg

and now i've done the centre piece I can finally start moving down the rest of his chest and adding all the pipes and pieces... couldn't resist throwing the arms on to have a look.
FUrmVms.jpg

dPxnzi2.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

Those shoulders look amazing. Your new logo is more crisp, I like it. Thx on the hair tip btw ;)

-Hopli-

Impresionante!! Looking forward to see it completed.
Cheers man :)
Sometimes, there is one piece that can stop progression in several directions and for me it was the chest logo..once that was done, i could fit the rest of the chest plates, pipes, and cod piece.
So with the logo done I had already buckled two straps in so the chest parts could drape down. I then put two chicago screws in so the part is connected but still swivel.
hoW1jF1.jpg

Gyn7Pky.jpg

here i closed up the screws and you can see i've roughed up where i'd originally planned to glue the straps.
3UE5dY3.jpg

I then do the same with the next part
B3JNy6A.jpg

Then I glue the straps down loosely one the parts so they can still move
WfIorSl.jpg

Installed from the front but not strapped into the bottom yet.
SChC5Dh.jpg

It flips up like the bonnet on a car :)
08NDGiU.jpg

Don't look at the nasty seams.. they'll be all covered in paint and parts... but i made two incisions for the straps to go thorugh to the inside of the body.
YstAWR4.jpg

I then got my soldering iron and burnt the slot in so they have less chance of tearing but to be honest the straps are not putting on that much pressure.
PROlshk.jpg

Added some duct tape to ease any possible tears as well.
jkiKZoJ.jpg

I ran the straps through and secure with elastic on the inside so they will move for the small amount that the torso can swivel.
Make a joint for the cod attachment out of dowel and PVC pipe
4fBdomX.jpg

0Bwhvrb.jpg

Throw the logo down..it's not quite in the right spot ...i'm unsure whether i'll keep it on their or reduce the white area on the lower part and move it where it's ,meant to be.
5rGucSG.jpg

HQ5NJdl.jpg

xAqMsqv.jpg

It bled a bit but that;'s an easy clean up... we'll see if i like it or not.
l3UbtkR.jpg

Pipes going into my nozzles in the upper arms.
MFkdTgT.jpg

Full upper body without the shoulders
topsb8i.jpg

and full body...i think we're getting there
QniEj5E.jpg
I may try it on tomorrow.. its been awhile and i need to make sure my hands are falling at comfortable levels to operate the arms

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back