Modding the Marvel Legends Iron Man Helmet

Jennigirl

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
On friday may, 5th I officially started my Marvel Legends Series Iron Man Helmet modding.
I have most of the interior finished with the exception of the inner top of the helmet. Pics will come tomorrow after my fiberglass reinforcement finishes setting.
I will be using a simple hinge method I found on YouTube to attach the visor. Final stage will be a red, and gold chrome paint job.
I look forward to sharing my work, and hearing your opinions.

As you can see the interior is not yet completed. I had to add more resin as the first batch didn't fully set 20170506_071615.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I've done so far;
Epoxied the rear back section so it can't pop out while being worn.
I removed that crappy adjustable head piece, and filled in the helmet with craft foam and a little bit of black Gorilla Tape.
The hinge section is in 3 pieces and once I attach them together, all that will be left will be the paint job.
Pics will come soon. The picture upload window tends to crash when i try to ad an image.

Update with pics.
14942062895711821289104.jpg14942063947681912876724.jpg14942064749261858820965.jpg
The hinge mounting setup is still a prototype and in the future a superior system will be used.
I will replace 2 magnets on the faceplate with some small super magnets to hold it in place when the visor is up.

Last edited:
14942510512641331553404.jpg
Interior hinge has been painted black.
Once paint dries I can remove the old magnets visible above the eyes, and replace them with super magnets.
After those are done, I just need to fill in a few small areas with resin and it will be ready for paint prep. It will be chrome metallic red, and chrome metallic gold when finished.
Also notice the slight mod in the plastic barrier surrounding the metal prongs so the faceplate smoothly slides into place.

Last edited:
ahh.. I see.

This is NOT going to be motorized then......correct?

I was about to ask how keeping the magnets work, as I felt they were kinda strong to be kept when used in a motorized set-up.

This one no. Sadly I do not have the skills to wire custom electronics. If I could find a set pre-made I could install it easy enough, but being on a limited budget, just finding a set up cheap enough will be a pain in the butt.

This one no. Sadly I do not have the skills to wire custom electronics. If I could find a set pre-made I could install it easy enough, but being on a limited budget, just finding a set up cheap enough will be a pain in the butt.

Well if you want a 'turn key' solution.. then no, it probably wont be that cheap.

However collecting the parts yourself and uploaded pre-existing code with a little DIY time is VERY affordable

Arduino: $3.00 USD form eBay
Servo(s): roughly $3.00 USD each
Battery pack: $5.00 or so

some wire
a switch/button
a voltage regulator and some small resistors

(total of a few bucks tops USD)

Threads are here that show how to connect things and free to use code as well..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back