Scratch-built Tusken Raider WIP (Finished and Approved)

poholio

Hello,

So after hemming and hawing for too long and basically fearing taking the first steps, I have finally begun the Tusken.

I started by accumulating a bunch of different items I'd need, like the fabrics and pieces parts for the bandoliers, etc. Got them in the mail in trickles, stored and waiting for their respective portions of the build to start.

Many thanks to the fine builders on the Krayt Clan forums, whose experience I have drawn on to begin this costume.

So, armed with this great info, I set off to dig into the mask. Here are some preliminary experiments with sizing and dimensions.

The snout looked really long on this attempt. Like a weird aardvark or something. The blood splitters definitely don't align correctly with the space where the tooth will be.

I cut the snout down some, and it looks a bit better, but the spitters and tooth are still not in proper alignment.

I am going to continue to modify the snout, and build up the area under the eyes and spitters to see if that helps to align the pieces more accurately. In my mind the "trapezoid" configuration of the eyes, spitters, and tooth is what makes the mask look spot on, rather than just reminiscent of a Raider.

I cut the snout down some. I also began covering it in a layer of newspaper and masking tape.

With proof of concept eyestalk and spitter.

The test greeblies will need adjustments in placement. The snout still seems off. I think the angle of the snout end is too acute.

Test fitting.

Okay, so I disliked the angle of the face and tried to do a bit o' surgery. He didn't make it. So, I cut out the cardboard face plate and made sure to brave the face with cardboard taped to the stand. I was also more careful with measurements and I think it seems better.

Here it is with 4 layers of papier mâché:

I left excess in the back that I will cut down when it's dry. Then I will remove the face mask from the helmet and mâché the inside with 4 layers. It's starting to look like something.

Got to work on the tooth. I cut the shapes out of styrene and filled it with Bondo.

I am not sure I am digging it so far. It's not sanded down much yet, but if the finished tooth leaves much to be desired, I may pick up a 2 inch wooden sphere and cut it down.

Here's the mask with a layer of PVA and linen:

With any luck that will keep the shape nice and strong. The much was pretty good, but I want to be sure it's rugged. I will look for some ways to waterproof at least the inside against the inevitable deluge of sweat I am bound to produce in it.

I coated the inside of the mask with plastidip, hoping it will help combat deterioration from sweat:

Not sure if this will do the trick, but it's better than nothing.

I also got pretty far on the spitters. They are made of funnels from Walmart. I cut off the tips and then cut those in half, sticking the thinner tip into the fatter one. Then a slathering of Bondo to fill in gaps.

Foam work out mat to hold it in place.

Added a thin strip of sintra for the lip.

Here they are with the tooth and the beginnings of the eyestalks. The tooth I am sanding as smooth and shiny as possible, to help emulate the look of aluminum once painted. There are a few stubborn pock marks that just won't go, but hey, weathering.

The eyes are tough! They are 1 1/4" schedule 40 PVC, heated and formed over a table leg. The sight slots are really hard to get clean- I will need to Bondo it all up to get sharper lines.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Re: Scratch-built Tusken Raider WIP

Thanks for the comments. Hoping to get the mask assembled, except maybe the wraps, this weekend.

This is so amazing. I have one of Godzilla's kits and I love it, but there's just something about making it your damn self from scratch. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks for the kind words.

Moving forward, trying to complete the helmet this month:

I dyed the snout wraps with Fishings Medium Brown. Wow, that's dark! Fortunately, a little bending and sanding brings it to a respectable worn brown.

Here are the head spikes, made from cut-down shaker pegs from A.C. Moore:

Here are the screws and styrene washers to hold them on:

The greeblies all hit with a couple coats of aluminum spray:

Planning on sanding this smooth and adding a few more coats.

Here's the beginnings of the rebreather, made from a larger-sized tomato paste can. The conical ends are cut from plastic break fluid cans, Gooped on.

The caps are the caps from Walmart brand vegetable oil:

Comments and critiques welcome!

Last edited:

Looking great! When my scratchbuilt was made, 13 years ago, I used aluminum foil tape on the nose piece as I discovered the paint wears really badly on that piece over time. It is still there and looking nice after all these years. So I highly recommend foil tape for the nose piece, but that's just my personal perspective.

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

Last edited:

Looking great! When my scratchbuilt was made, 13 years ago, I used aluminum foil tape on the nose piece as I discovered the paint wears really badly on that piece over time. It is still there and looking nice after all these years. So I highly recommend foil tape for the nose piece, but that's just my personal perspective.

Agreed. I was thinking about that problem all the while and wondering about the aluminum tape. My only question is how to keep the seams from being too noticeable.

Last edited:

Agreed. I was thinking about that problem all the while and wondering about the aluminum tape. My only question is how to keep the seams from being too noticeable.
Basically if you cut the tape and place it length wise running DOWN the front to back of the nose bit, they seams line up nice and neat. Also rub it with a credit card while you lay it down to release all of the air bubbles. Once it's layed on the nose, rub it down with a damp rag until the tape looks very nicely shaped and cleaned up. If you do it right, your seams should be barely visible up close, and not visible from a few-foot distance unless your looking for them.

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

Made some progress over the last few weeks. Going slower than I hoped, but still, progress is progress.

Snout puckery leather on. This was far more difficult than I anticipated. I must have spent an hour fussing with it.

Rubber bands and tape keep everything together, just like in life.

Preliminary tusk testing. They will need to be positioned more accurately.

Actually starting to look like something.

Here's the rebreather in progress. I hit it with a few coats of aluminum spray paint and weathered it with black, brown, and yellow ochre acrylics.

I had a leftover piece of vinyl that fit the rebreather perfectly. It looked really nice ( forgot to get pics!) But I laid it on with e6000, and for whatever reason, the cement dried underneath and held it on, but some seeped through the crappy vinyl and never dried. It left the exterior surface sticky and attracted every piece of dust and lint in three counties. So off it came. Will be picking up vinyl for the bandoliers when Joann's has a good sal and I'm thinking I'll use some of it to cover the rebreather.

Cheers!

Last edited:

It's been a while, but I am nearing completion on this build. I hope to have it done for a costume party next week.

Since the Photobucket fiasco I kind of felt a lack of desire to do as much documentation of the build, and as a result I took barely any pics of its progress.

I decided to switch over to imgur and I went back through this thread and updated all the links, so hopefully the pics show up again.

Anyway, here are a few pics I took over the last few months of the build, as a preview.

This was my first rough attempt at the head wraps. They are khaki duck cloth, and this mock up made me realize this fellow's forehead was too short. I ended up adding some strips of foam mat to give it some height.

9g9m9DJ.jpg

Here is a more finished view, with the foam build up of the forehead.

mNMzbsS.jpg

iGUVZAQ.jpg

I will add more pics of the finished pieces as I take them and get some of the full suit as well.

Snapped some pics of the suit components, with and without flash.

MVe4tSq.jpg

l8gDU9h.jpg

AnvF49k.jpg

qiNsNDy.jpg

M5iAf2v.jpg

0IFSmVj.jpg

BT7cf9J.jpg

The Martini Henry and Ottoman are made with the good vinyl at Joann's. The waist pouches are made of crappy Walmart beige vinyl. There is craft foam backing the flaps and scraps of Sintra glued in the sides for rigidity.

Mk0ZRql.jpg

A2QT6aX.jpg

ldgC2yO.jpg

5rfIzvj.jpg

DgwzKOO.jpg

The boots are made from cheap Croc style shoes and a pair of khakis cut off and glued on for the legs. They Velcro down the inside of the leg and the seam is hidden with small flaps overlapping and a ribbon of duck to wrap around the leg.

oCFlF5L.jpg

F5D3LhF.jpg

nc10lW4.jpg

The neck is closed with Velcro.

pFXoZv2.jpg

The robes have been dyed and the inner robe assembled. Still need to sew up the outer and do some weathering.

qwN2OgJ.jpg

Still not happy with the amount of weathering on the mask, so I'll probably dirty it up more. Still need to make the gaffi as well, likely using a variation on HappyTrooper's awesome build. Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back