Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

I love this community so much. Thank you to everyone who posted reference pictures and swatches and dyeing info!! I've been lurking in this thread for ages and I figured I'd come out of the woodwork and ask for advice... I can't decide with dye test would be the best for the tunic? I feel like the 4th or 5th from the left would be the best but I can't decide it her tunic is actually that grayish tint (putty) or more brown in pictures? Any input is greatly appreciated.

IMG_3681.JPG

I'm thinking the second from the right.

So here's some progress I've made.
Fabric dyed, new belt, braver and holster.
Happy with what's getting done, but it's just not getting done fast enough.
Gonna take a miracle to have this done in time for the premiere.
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Robert

I'm thinking the second from the right.

So here's some progress I've made.
Fabric dyed, new belt, braver and holster.
Happy with what's getting done, but it's just not getting done fast enough.
Gonna take a miracle to have this done in time for the premiere.
View attachment 777732View attachment 777731
Robert
It's super exciting to see what people are making progress on and coming up with. Keeps me motivated!

I was taking to another Rey costumer the other day about how we worked on our scavenger Rey costumes for over a year (and still tinker regularly with parts of it). I still need to finish her Resistance vest outfit too. What we had at the premier was fun, but just the beginning! The conversation helped remind me to slow down and take my time. Rey's costumes a deceptively simple! Full of details that only come out with time. So I'm settling in!

I hope folks will hang in there! We're going to see so much more soon. Keep having fun and sharing pics.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I think someone else on this thread used a little olive green in the dye bath. The putty colored fabric has a grey/green brown hue to it. Its baffling. But I agree the second from the right looks good. Maybe a trying adding some green and grey to a sample bath and seeing what happens? Looks great so far thought. Dyeing is so stressful. Blah!

I love this community so much. Thank you to everyone who posted reference pictures and swatches and dyeing info!! I've been lurking in this thread for ages and I figured I'd come out of the woodwork and ask for advice... I can't decide with dye test would be the best for the tunic? I feel like the 4th or 5th from the left would be the best but I can't decide it her tunic is actually that grayish tint (putty) or more brown in pictures? Any input is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 777684

I used the recipe from RIT for Brown3 #400.
1 full bottle of dark brown and a half bottle of dark green.
Filled half a storage bin with hot water and a cup of salt.
Soaked for 2 days.
Hang dry for one day, then hand rinsed and then a delicate wash.
My photos definitely don't show its true color, but I'm very happy with how it came out.
Definitely has that hint of green to it, without looking green.
Robert

View attachment 777227
Left to right: cloak, obi, arm wraps, pants, wrap tabard, tunic lining, tunic, undershirt.
im in the process of re-dyeing the obi and tunic fabrics darker, and more brown in the tunic.

****update*****
l-r: wrap tabards (colour should not be different from first photo), obi, tunic: the obi and tunic are still damp, but this looks much better than the first attempt.
View attachment 777266

Lookin amazing!!! What was the final dye bath you did for the tunic with the blanket fabric? Did you basically do a second dye with the same proportions to get it darker?

Thank you!

Lookin amazing!!! What was the final dye bath you did for the tunic with the blanket fabric? Did you basically do a second dye with the same proportions to get it darker?

Thank you!

I ended up using a whole bottle of RIT Liquid Dark Brown, 1/4 of a bottle of liquid Charcoal Gray, with a 1/4 cup of Evening Blue, stirred for an hour in 6 gallons of water. It still dried a little lighter than I would like, but it's enough of a contrast from my other colours now that it does the job. I have everything cut but the leather bits, so I'm on track to finish. Will take photos after I've sewn things together tonight.

Hi! We made a free pattern for this costume over at Mood Fabrics! It has her tunic, pants, leather belt, and bracer. I tried to get it as screen accurate as possible at this point, but I have a feeling there will probably be adjustments when the movie comes out next week. Also, please ignore the incorrect layering in the photos - I'm dumb.

Anyway, you can find it here! https://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/the-andromeda-free-cosplay-sewing-pattern/

View attachment IMG_8610.jpgView attachment IMG_8603.jpgView attachment IMG_8613.jpgAndromeda full audit-page-001.jpg

One big thing that stands out is that for the Hero Belt, it should be wider on top and narrower on bottom...which is the opposite of the Jakku belt...which appears to be what you've patterned here.

In addition, the Hero belt is about 1/2" wider overall than the Jakku belt, and should be about 3-1/2" wide at the center, as opposed to the Jakku, which is approx 3". The upper part of the hero belt should be approx 2", and the bottom part 1-1/2".

Making progress! It won't be done by the premier. But that's ok. Tunic is still in progress. Boots in the mail. I haven't even started on the pants. Oof . But it's feeling good so far! Excited to see the movie finally and realize all the little things I've gotta change. Lolz. [emoji28]
9812ab231cce945f24cf89bccaeaaa7e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hey folks! Does anyone have any pictures of Rey from the back of her head, focusing on her hair? I’m curious if there’s anything I can do to be as close as possible hair wise, and that includes any details on the hair tie it’s self. Thanks in advance!

Hey folks! Does anyone have any pictures of Rey from the back of her head, focusing on her hair? I’m curious if there’s anything I can do to be as close as possible hair wise, and that includes any details on the hair tie it’s self. Thanks in advance!

My Funko has this: rey1.jpgand the Force Arena game looks like this: rey3.jpg

Super simple either way: fairly high tail from the top of the head, self wrapped, with a second tail from the temples also self wrapped.

My clothes are all done. I'm finishing the belt and *fingers crossed* boots tonight. There's so many layers at the waist, I may have to take a layer or 2 out of the obi...I'm not the smallest person as it is, but like. oof. lol. I'll post photos tonight, still have to wrap the arm sleeves in the gauze, but it's a functioning costume at this point.

The photo isn't great, sorry, but it was late and my roomies were both asleep, lol. My boots are not done, but I have suitable substitutes for tomorrow's premiere. Just need to wrap the belt, and the arms, and make a phone/key pouch to put on the belt.
tumblr_p0wtqaUO1Q1qf8k1co1_540.jpg

I know I'm a bit late to the game here, but just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone contributing to this thread. I'm just starting on TLJ Rey for my wife, and this has already been an invaluable resource for me. I definitely hate that I missed out on the Mood fabric, but in all my searching it's obviously become next to impossible to attain. I pulled the trigger on one of the blankets that shelbylynnmarie is using. Didn't see any mention about which size, and as they only had Queen available I jumped on it.

The patterns everyone here has shared will make my process much simpler than those of you who did all that initial research and documented your work, so just know that I appreciate it...all of it!

I've done plenty of leather work on my own Jedi belts and for others, so I'm not expecting any real hang-ups on those pieces (belt, holster, wrist). I'm on the fence about spending that dough for the Po-Zu boots, so may try my hand at making my own leather replica. I'm not a 'hurried' costumer. I prefer to take my time and do things right, so my build will likely take a while. But the wife will be pleased once it's finished.

I look forward to continued reading and research on this costume once the movie is out tomorrow! Thanks again and MTFBWY!
~Chris

Hi guys,
a little nervous about posting this here, but these threads always help me a lot, especially when making Star Wars cosplays, so I wanted to thank and show you all my progress.
The premiere for The Last Jedi was yesterday here in Denmark and I had so much fun! I was even approached by members of the Rebel Legion's Nordic Base, urging me to apply for a membership which I think may have been the biggest compliment I've ever gotten, cosplay-wise.
It's not "finished" yet though. I just really wanted to wear it at the premiere, but I still want to change a few things - especially the dress wrap and the boots, but I'm gonna wait until the movie comes out on Blu-Ray. Also, this is my own hair as I couldn't get a wig done in time.

REY 5.jpg REY 3.jpg REY 4.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back