Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

I pulled out my left over fabric from the scavenger Rey head wrap shirt. I had used the Dharma handwoven cotton a lot of others used. The texture, after its washed, looks a lot like the pictures of Rey's obi. So I dyed it up last night in Rit Charcoal grey. It turned out great. I think it will work well. I looked this morning and the fabric is on sale now too. So if you're looking for an option I think its a good one. I might try and get it a little darker. But I'm going to reserve judgement until I've sewed it all up. It darkens up a lot when layered.

View attachment 762375

Sweet! That looks really good! And really close to the pictures.

I pulled out my left over fabric from the scavenger Rey head wrap shirt. I had used the Dharma handwoven cotton a lot of others used. The texture, after its washed, looks a lot like the pictures of Rey's obi. So I dyed it up last night in Rit Charcoal grey. It turned out great. I think it will work well. I looked this morning and the fabric is on sale now too. So if you're looking for an option I think its a good one. I might try and get it a little darker. But I'm going to reserve judgement until I've sewed it all up. It darkens up a lot when layered.

View attachment 762375
Thanks! It was real nice and refreshing to dye something straight off the instructions on the bottle too. [emoji1]. More of that please, Rey.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Here is a great video tutorial if you want to assemble a graflex 2.0 lightsaber : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKOd8CxavVU&t=2998s

For TFA version, you'll need the ESB kit (with 6 graps) + ANH lens blade tension knob

DSC01573.JPG22181218_1478542128895358_7091354112299291546_o.jpg

almost finished... need to add the electronics and blade :)

22179811_1478543148895256_6420758386801151673_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! I'm looking to build a costume for the movie premiere. I am new to the cosplay and sewing scene so this will be educational :lol

View attachment 762375

I liked what you did for the obi! Looks fantastic! How many layers do you think will be necessary for the obi? I'm trying to figure out how much fabric to buy.

Also, I am a bit confused with which fabric is the official fabric of the tunic. Is it the Rainy Day Surface Embroidered Diamond Cotten Woven from Mood? I also see people throwing around "the Putty swatch". Is that something different?

Hello! I'm looking to build a costume for the movie premiere. I am new to the cosplay and sewing scene so this will be educational [emoji38]

I liked what you did for the obi! Looks fantastic! How many layers do you think will be necessary for the obi? I'm trying to figure out how much fabric to buy.

Also, I am a bit confused with which fabric is the official fabric of the tunic. Is it the Rainy Day Surface Embroidered Diamond Cotten Woven from Mood? I also see people throwing around "the Putty swatch". Is that something different?

Welcome!

I'm going to be using three layers for my obi since the fabric is thin. 2 regular rectangles and a third cut on the bias so it scrunches up. Are you going to buy the same fabric. The woven from Dharma? How many layers will depend on the thickness of your fabric. And I needed a bit extra because I cut the top layer on the bias (diagonal). I used this tutorial on making a self scrunching obi: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26587

That is the fabric used in the film. It used to come in A color called "Putty". But that sold out and all that is left is the white. But lots of people are dyeing the white fabric. People have posted here previously on this thread is are some progress on that. I'm sure they would share some tips and formulas.

Elsewhere I saw people identify some alternative fabrics. At mood there is a fabric called "Brown Diamonds Satin Ploy" (sorry, I can't connect to the Mood website for some reason to post the link). It'll be heavier, but people are having some success with it.

Can anyone post a drawing of the pattern of the dark outer tunic? Someone mentioned altering the rectangle with a hole in the center "pattern" posted earlier... the front looks crossed like her outer parts are... (sorry, I don't know the proper terms for each piece

Is it cut down the middle from the neck hole down? I'm just Trying to get a pattern or at least a rough idea of where to start. I have some test junk fabric to play with.

Any help is appreciated! Very impressive detective work you all have done here!

I'm not asking for a handout of exact dimensions... I am just looking for a drawing of the basic idea... it's hard to tell from pictures if it just hangs over the shoulders or the front is sewn to the back under the arms like a sleeveless shirt?

I'm only asking specifically about the brown diamond patterned material part of the costume... we're going for a close too/looks like type Halloween costume. So again, I'm not asking for exact dimensions. And I only need the darker shirt/dress part. I wish I knew what to call it.

Maybe later we'll try to upgrade to the big leagues with some of you!

Last edited:
This is a good pattern that has been useful to folks. The link is to a FB picture album (the creator, Sew Corellian is supportive of sharing far and wide with anyone too. So extra big thanks to her for this!) The only think I would note is that this pattern has the back overlapping and its my understanding that it doesn't actually overlap in the back. But I guess we don't know for sure yet since clear pics of the back are few.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SewCorellian/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1621928501184794

I'm not asking for a handout of exact dimensions... I am just looking for a drawing of the basic idea... it's hard to tell from pictures if it just hangs over the shoulders or the front is sewn to the back under the arms like a sleeveless shirt?

Have we found a suitable substitute smocked fabric for the tunic? Seeing as the colour accurate Mood fabric is sold out and I'm rubbish at dying fabric...
Mood had a generic called "Diamond Satin Ploy in brown" that period have used with success But it appears to be out. But you could try searching eBay for it. It seems a more common fabric then the screen used stuff.

https://www.moodfabrics.com/ivory-d...eNEOBaBkpo0HvQfkKo5yLjrxLchuM-dRoCfxwQAvD_BwE

I dyed my Dharma wool gauze after much procrastinating. I was nervous. But it went great. Noteworthy is that I didn't really get any shrinkage. Just about an inch on the width.

I dyed 6 yards using Dharma's acid dye in silver grey. I put all the cool water in a big (huge) pot added the dye ( the fabric is light so only weighed about 9oz. So I did 1.5% of the weight to figure out the amount of dye. Came to .03 ounces. But I doubled that because I knew I wanted it to be darker). Then added the fabric before heating it all up. It took well over an hour to reach 185° so I could add the vinegar. But the slow heating and gentil agitation kept the wool from felting and shrinking much. The dye never really fully exhausted (I think because the pot was so big) so I pulled the wool out and let it sit in a bowl to cool before rinsing. Very little dye rinsed out, so it's nice and color fast. At first I was super afraid of gone too dark but after it dried and after seeing new pictures from the recently released behind the scenes feature I think I'm pretty close! Phew! I hope this long ramble is helpful to anyone else using the wool gauze. It's lovely stuff! I want all my clothes made out of it now. Soft!

Her are some initial pics. The darker fabric is my obi. I'll try and get more with the tunic soon.

15824626430a179f756f5ef7c9b701bb.jpg
1553342dcd58d00203375dd0b31ba4e9.jpg
b0ae9e2164c3cba8adaad6b13f8e57ac.jpg
5b6893765e65e2d5094d166b6f54c979.jpg
890eb65e81858cc45dfc4b7a749fa2a5.jpg
b45d1016b2c6a27c1532ddb480fc0cf9.jpg

Hey guys! Haven't been on the RPF in a while... not since I finished up Jakku Rey almost a year ago, haha. I've decided to bite the bullet and start on Hero Rey.

Someone in one of the Rey Facebook groups mentioned cotton gauze at Hobby Lobby, so I grabbed some the other day. I think it's a decent option for the wraps?

99wqOal.jpg

3dX9HtG.jpg

I'm planning on dyeing it a bit darker, and then ironing out the crinkles. Gonna run by Joann soon and get some charcoal RIT. It looks a lot more beige in these photos than it is in person, which is annoying.

Last edited:
Alright I really didnt like the color of the belt I posted before. So I did what any idiot would do and started over from scratch. This is the new color of dye that I created by mixing many different other dyes together. It is much more brown than the one from above but still has the hint of red that I think is there. I really like this one and I think it might be my final product. I just want to see what the right side looks like before I do my final cut.beltNewColor.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of the right side hip so I can see what the belt loops look like and what she will be using to hang her lightsaber?

Edit... found some. Would still like to see how the lightsaber is clipped.
00684be7483b7cd83e89f8fa69095c5b.jpg926942939d7e80323c7299d6a864dfc3.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back