Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

I dyed my new obi fabric over the weekend. It's some slub cotton/rayon I found. I like how it turned out. Its proving hard to get the slub texture to show up in pictures though, which is a bummer. The thread on the selvage edge didn't dye (probably polyester) so I'll end up cutting it off. But the fabric doesn't fray a lot generally. So I think it will work to leave the edges unfinished. At this point I'm suspicious that the obi is simply fabric wrapped around Rey's waist and ticked in by the wide part of the belt. Each time I mock it up just wrapping it gives it all the wrinkles it needs. And I can't see any seams or closures in any pictures either. But it's Rey, so it can't be that easy. [emoji6]

I dyed it using a whole bottle of Rit Charcoal gray, about 1/2 cup of dark brown and a little bit of sunshine orange and let it stew for about 40 minutes at 180°.
de936f864f0024f11fad5c8b2fedc279.jpg
6da4efb093e376baaae05714b1684ecd.jpg
f70d9fb78d8fa628930f55b92c467d12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I dyed my new obi fabric over the weekend. It's some slub cotton/rayon I found. I like how it turned out. Its proving hard to get the slub texture to show up in pictures though, which is a bummer. The thread on the selvage edge didn't dye (probably polyester) so I'll end up cutting it off. But the fabric doesn't fray a lot generally. So I think it will work to leave the edges unfinished. At this point I'm suspicious that the obi is simply fabric wrapped around Rey's waist and ticked in by the wide part of the belt. Each time I mock it up just wrapping it gives it all the wrinkles it needs. And I can't see any seams or closures in any pictures either. But it's Rey, so it can't be that easy. [emoji6]

I dyed it using a whole bottle of Rit Charcoal gray, about 1/2 cup of dark brown and a little bit of sunshine orange and let it stew for about 40 minutes at 180°. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/de936f864f0024f11fad5c8b2fedc279.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/6da4efb093e376baaae05714b1684ecd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180108/f70d9fb78d8fa628930f55b92c467d12.jpg

The color looks pretty good in your pics! Can’t wait to see how it comes together, especially with that belt. I have serious belt envy going on right now! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

What did you use for your twine?

Hi everyone :) Just wondering if anyone has dyed the Amazon blanket and used it for their tunic, and how it went? I'm looking into alternatives for the Mood fabric, it's such a unique fabric that nothing seems to be even close!

Thanks in advance - all your photos look amazing!!

Hi everyone :) Just wondering if anyone has dyed the Amazon blanket and used it for their tunic, and how it went? I'm looking into alternatives for the Mood fabric, it's such a unique fabric that nothing seems to be even close!

Thanks in advance - all your photos look amazing!!

Check out my posts on this thread! Went pretty well for me.

So I've finally finished my outfit! took me a bit to properly upload these but I'm really proud at how it's turned out. I had to compromise on fabrics in time for the premiere but honestly using grey instead of the proper brown adds to the "grey jedi" aesthetic I've always thought Rey might adopt. The wrap fabric was one I found at Joannes, the arm wraps were ACE bandages I bleached, and the boots were from amazon, I believe I posted them a page or two back on this thread. That storm trooper was actually a 501'st trooper there for the premiere. I'm excited to further improve the outfit, and if there's anything any of you think I could improve with please let me know!
SxETiyT.jpg iiNHdSi.jpg
88PJR3Z.jpgLeJHVFl.jpgUaWraTM.jpgU5zW3Qg.jpg

Hey everybody! So I’m going on a Star Wars cruise in March this year. My sister and I are cosplayers and we usually cosplay as Rey and Kylo. However, we can’t sew at all (we’re 20 and 18 and have no experience with sewing period). I was looking for TLJ costumes and stumbled across this thread. You all seem like such lovely and talented people! Would any of you know where to get some good costumes or even be selling ones that you make?
Thanks so much!
Rachel

Hello. I am going to dye my farbic for the tunic very soon. I got this fabric dye color and it looks ok. It might be a little bit to reddish, but we will see in the end how it will turn out. It is only the package, so who nows? ^^ right next to the paper is a pice the original fabric (Thanks so much for it again!)
What do you think about the colors? :D
fabriccolour.jpeg

So, I dyed it today and this is what came out. I am still laughing because it is just so damn wrong X"D
(on the left my fabric which is still wet , on the right the original one)
reycolor.jpeg

I also dyed this some blue fabric for the trousers and some linen for the obi.
bluewhite.jpg into: grey.jpg

this seems nice I think, and the obi will be dyed again or just painted I think. :)
Also I was wondering how long the tunic should be and so I counted the rows on reys tunic on an picture (do not know if anyone already did it yet?):
There are 23-25 rows on the lower part/the "skirt" and also 23-25 rows on the top. In between is the obi so I do not know how many rows there are, but I guess it will be around 5-7 rows.

Have a nice day,
Hika

Hello everyone!

I’m late to the thread... but I’m beginning my Rey cosplay. Just ordered the blanket that Shelby suggested to be used as a substitute for the tunic. Does anyone still happen to have a spare scrap of the original screen accurate tunic fabric I could have as a reference for when I dye my blanket fabric?

Is anyone shocked that I'm jumping in on this costume late? Yeah, I thought not. I'm not 100% committed to it yet, but I'm in the research phase now. So. The blanket. Ivory with the dye that has been used by others is the best choice? Has anyone tried the other base colors? Brown or green or whatever? Just looking at options.

I blame this all on Kylo Ren. (No, really. A Kylo cosplayer I know and I did some very fun photos this weekend, and I need Hero Rey now so we can do fighting shots. Just saying.)

Is anyone shocked that I'm jumping in on this costume late? Yeah, I thought not. I'm not 100% committed to it yet, but I'm in the research phase now. So. The blanket. Ivory with the dye that has been used by others is the best choice? Has anyone tried the other base colors? Brown or green or whatever? Just looking at options.

I blame this all on Kylo Ren. (No, really. A Kylo cosplayer I know and I did some very fun photos this weekend, and I need Hero Rey now so we can do fighting shots. Just saying.)
It's like we're getting the band back together! [emoji5]

So, I dyed it today and this is what came out. I am still laughing because it is just so damn wrong X"D
(on the left my fabric which is still wet , on the right the original one)
View attachment 789552

I also dyed this some blue fabric for the trousers and some linen for the obi.
View attachment 789553 into: View attachment 789554

this seems nice I think, and the obi will be dyed again or just painted I think. :)
Also I was wondering how long the tunic should be and so I counted the rows on reys tunic on an picture (do not know if anyone already did it yet?):
There are 23-25 rows on the lower part/the "skirt" and also 23-25 rows on the top. In between is the obi so I do not know how many rows there are, but I guess it will be around 5-7 rows.

Have a nice day,
Hika
How did your tunic color turn out once it was dry?

Hey y'all! Anyone made their Obi's yet? I'm remaking mine in light of new photos and in search of ideas for how to close it.

Right now I'm planning on closing it on the side under the widest part of the belt. But that's going to mean it will need to minimize bulk. Hmm.

Thx!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back