Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

The quilt looks green to me. Like olive green. Is it brown or green?
Ya, the tunic is brown. If you go back a few pages there are some close up pictures of swatches of the screen used fabric. The color is brown. In person you do see some deep green and grey undertones in some lights. But overall it's brown.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Anyone started on Rey's pants for this costume? I modified some old navy jeans as others have but was dissatisfied with the results. Thinking these might be pants from scratch kind of thing which terrifies me because I've never made none lounge wear pants from scratch. I made Rey's Jakku pants...but those were a yoga pant design. A lot easier to fit since there really wasn't any fit to worry about!

Ok ladies(and gentlemen), I need a lot of answers.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to be as active on this thread as I was for the original Rey outfit.
Which I must say, you were all Awsome!
So I've promised my niece(again) the newer Rey outfit.
Yikes.
Heres my questions.
please feel free to answer here or send me a pm.

1- The Obi
Any info on this would be great.
Material, how to make it, demensions, color, any and everything you know about it.
I have no idea what's going on here.
Ive checked out the link that was shared, but the pictures aren't showing up, so I'm lost.

2- The belt
Are we just reversing the widths of the the top and bottom straps of the original pattern?
How wide are you making the top and bottom straps?
Any info on this would be great.

3- The bracer
Same as the Jakku bracer?
I personally believe so.

4- The tunic
Please share the pattern you are using.
Do to the scarcity of the fabric, I'm sure we all want to get this one right the first time.

5- The undershirt
I know there was alittle talk on this, but did we ever come up something concrete?
Again, please share what pattern or design your going with.

Thanks all for listening.
Please feel free to respond with anything you have.
Robert

Oh, if anyone has an exrtra bracer they aren't in need of, please feel free to send me a pm.
My darling niece has misplaced hers.
Id like to avoid another leather purchase if possible.

My first free hand attempt at eyeballing the belt.

I'm going darker, and re stringing the... string...

Pay at no attention to the tunic, scratch cut one piece placeholder fabric.
IMG_1759.PNG

Last edited:
IMG_1821.JPGThanks Kristen. After looking at this comparison I'm going to reshape the belt... roll up... crinkle up and weather it up... but getting closer!

IMG_1812.PNG

Last edited:
IMG_1867.JPGThe top of the belt seems to dip down on the left side as she is wearing it, or the right side as we are looking at the picture... I think if I trim it slightly and follow the lower cut line making it even and parralell meaning the top cut line in comparison to the cut down the middle... a lil more tweaking here and there... I think I might actually have something here... ???

This is is my first real try with leather and fabric... I've built trooper armor and resin props and mostly just collect props etc. I have a few Graflex handles, blasters etc etc... but no actual "costuming experience" other than said trooper armor.

Last edited:
I can't edit this post on my phone for some reason, so I apologize for the triple post! This is a costume for my girlfriend.

I have to give an apology again for the rough sketch... I really feel the screen used belt wasn't cut symmetrically in the first place judging by what I see in hand vs pictures.. I also think there is some leather shaping on her left hip... maybe I'm wrong. Please chime in!IMG_1765.JPG

here is a picture of one of my authentic Graflex handles.

IMG_1765.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20171102_172727299.jpg
I believe it goes down too. This is how I made mine. However I also think it goes up just a hair... maybe about a 1/4 inch also. Till we get better screens this will sill be up in the air.

I agree with you Kevin21ox. Where my horribly bad orange/pink sketch is on the right I tried to show that...

I do think it is a very subtle shape though... more subtle than the pictures look... but I do believe it's there.

Last edited:
IMG_20171103_192809687.jpg
I agree with you Kevin21ox. Where my horribly bad orange/pink sketch is on the right I tried to show that...

I do think it is a very subtle shape though... more subtle than the pictures look... but I do believe it's there.

Ken did you make the upper belt bigger than the 1.5 inches that we used for the TFA? I was thinking at one point to take down the bottom part to 3/4 inches but I see what I believe to be it getting smaller near the loop. Here is my very rough drawing of the belt. lol

Last edited:
View attachment 770981The top of the belt seems to dip down on the left side as she is wearing it, or the right side as we are looking at the picture... I think if I trim it slightly and follow the lower cut line making it even and parralell meaning the top cut line in comparison to the cut down the middle... a lil more tweaking here and there... I think I might actually have something here... ???

This is is my first real try with leather and fabric... I've built trooper armor and resin props and mostly just collect props etc. I have a few Graflex handles, blasters etc etc... but no actual "costuming experience" other than said trooper armor.

Personally I doubt the belt is cut purposely crooked. The dip may be a result of repeated wearing or intentional stretching/bending of the leather to distress it, but I doubt they purposely put a random dip in it. I suppose it's possible, but I can't see any reason that they would.

I think once you've crinkled and distressed it up you will see some natural rising and falling of the line as it's worn. My leather belts definitely do that after they've been used a while.

So far yours is looking very good!

Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted (college is sucking all the sewing energy out of me, sadly).

But anyway! I found this pattern: https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9284 which looks like it would be good to modify for the pants. I figured that I'd share it for people like myself who are very new to pattern crafting, and prefer to use an already established pattern.

Everyone's cosplays seem to be coming along wonderfully! I can't wait for the movie!

Hi guys! It's been a while since I posted (college is sucking all the sewing energy out of me, sadly).

But anyway! I found this pattern: https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v9284 which looks like it would be good to modify for the pants. I figured that I'd share it for people like myself who are very new to pattern crafting, and prefer to use an already established pattern.

Everyone's cosplays seem to be coming along wonderfully! I can't wait for the movie!
Yes! This is great. Thanks for sharing.

I dyed my Dharma wool gauze after much procrastinating. I was nervous. But it went great. Noteworthy is that I didn't really get any shrinkage. Just about an inch on the width.

I dyed 6 yards using Dharma's acid dye in silver grey. I put all the cool water in a big (huge) pot added the dye ( the fabric is light so only weighed about 9oz. So I did 1.5% of the weight to figure out the amount of dye. Came to .03 ounces. But I doubled that because I knew I wanted it to be darker). Then added the fabric before heating it all up. It took well over an hour to reach 185° so I could add the vinegar. But the slow heating and gentil agitation kept the wool from felting and shrinking much. The dye never really fully exhausted (I think because the pot was so big) so I pulled the wool out and let it sit in a bowl to cool before rinsing. Very little dye rinsed out, so it's nice and color fast. At first I was super afraid of gone too dark but after it dried and after seeing new pictures from the recently released behind the scenes feature I think I'm pretty close! Phew! I hope this long ramble is helpful to anyone else using the wool gauze. It's lovely stuff! I want all my clothes made out of it now. Soft!

Her are some initial pics. The darker fabric is my obi. I'll try and get more with the tunic soon.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/15824626430a179f756f5ef7c9b701bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/1553342dcd58d00203375dd0b31ba4e9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/b0ae9e2164c3cba8adaad6b13f8e57ac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/5b6893765e65e2d5094d166b6f54c979.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/890eb65e81858cc45dfc4b7a749fa2a5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171026/b45d1016b2c6a27c1532ddb480fc0cf9.jpg

Is your obi from dharma as well? The handwoven cotton? If so, what did you find worked best for the dye ratio?

Is your obi from dharma as well? The handwoven cotton? If so, what did you find worked best for the dye ratio?
Yes, the handwoven cotton from Dharma. The great part was that to dye it I just used Rit Charcoal Grey. I used my usual big pot and one bottle of dye. Heated it up to 185 ° and dyed the fabric. I think it was in the dye for 10 minutes. It was a nice experience to just dye something using the instructions on the bottle for once. For reference, I was dyeing 2 yards of fabric. But I think you would essentially do the same thing with more/less fabric. Just change the soak time. Hope this helps!

The pics are all labelled, but I try and make a diary of all the pieces for any given costume, and this is mine. Sketches of general shapes, and pattern pieces, as well as what needs to be cut. I’m planning to make this for the December release, but need to stay warm for Chicago in December, so I’m adding the cloak from what appears to be earlier with the resistance outfit, and a few more layers of lining here and there.

I’m toying with the idea of putting pockets in the tunic...or making a pouch to go on the belt, haven’t made up my mind yet. What kind of leather have people been getting for the belt/wristband? Weight/animal/cut?

Also because I’m a stage manager I’ve made a spreadsheet to keep everything in order. :D

4F24D1A1-92F7-48BC-9256-D253F9BC8F37.jpeg30885430-931A-495D-A802-4849811514EC.jpegAB108C52-8D22-4962-90F7-56A312FAA7E0.jpeg88547FAB-2254-406E-B518-CB2EF6A00C32.jpegFCFAA485-168B-43BF-B7BA-9915DB47D09B.jpegBA6D77DA-7D3E-476B-91CF-9577DA5A744F.jpeg

This is all pretty amazing! So well organized. Something I desperately need. One note is that I got a look at a reference shot of Rey's pants and the seam at the top of the knee goes all the way around, curving down the backside of the knee. I didn't see it in your sketches so I wanted to note it just in case. I've also made her cloak. It was fun and I'm so glad to have it. When the new trailer came out I went through some screenshots and noted that the cut of the cloak is square in the back and long in the sides, rather then taped. So basically it is just one big rectangle. I can dig up some pics of what I modified it to be. There are also no seams in the film used cloak. Oof. So I took 60' fabric and used that as width and the length is about 75 inches long (what wraps around me. It overlaps quite a bit in the front). This way there are no seams. I have my first cloak with seams and I love it and wear it on just any ole day, which is fun.

The pics are all labelled, but I try and make a diary of all the pieces for any given costume, and this is mine. Sketches of general shapes, and pattern pieces, as well as what needs to be cut. I’m planning to make this for the December release, but need to stay warm for Chicago in December, so I’m adding the cloak from what appears to be earlier with the resistance outfit, and a few more layers of lining here and there.

I’m toying with the idea of putting pockets in the tunic...or making a pouch to go on the belt, haven’t made up my mind yet. What kind of leather have people been getting for the belt/wristband? Weight/animal/cut?

Also because I’m a stage manager I’ve made a spreadsheet to keep everything in order. :D

View attachment 771912View attachment 771913View attachment 771914View attachment 771915View attachment 771916View attachment 771917

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back