Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

For those who got the white fabric here are some shots in natural light of the putty brown. Its a hard color to capture in photos (isn't that just like a Rey outfit? lol). But I'd say that it is brown with grey and green undertones. Others with the fabric please chime in with other thoughts. It doesn't seem to have any red undertone, which I think is important to note since a lot of brown dyes can come with a red tone to them.

20170814_134602.jpg20170814_134635.jpg20170814_134551.jpg20170814_134659.jpg

Attachments

• 20170814_134557.jpg
    20170814_134557.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 268
I know im a little late on this but does anyone have a swatch so i can match when i dye or any extra fabric to sell?
Also would you say her pants are tan or gray? Im having a hard time telling

I can send you a scrap. :)

Thank you, that is so kind to offer but I already have had a member send me a swatch. I will be on a trip for a few weeks but starting in early September I will start dyeing swatches and sharing my finds. I may try more than one kind of dye, I have been considering RIT and Dharma. I have a friend willing to let me use her top-loading washing machine so this should be interesting...and fun! I always say one reason I cosplay is because it makes me have fun .

I just did a swatch of plain white 100% cotton fabric with RIT Liquid Fabric Dye, Dark Brown. As speculated the undertone is too red. The original putty has cooler tones, it nearly matches a pair of dark olive green/brown pants I have. Although my phone takes poor pics, I thought I would share the comparison between my dyed swatch (right) and the putty (left). On to Dharma Dye, I guess.
IMG_20170820_210224627.jpg

I wonder if this chart would help (since you are using Rit Dye). I used it to help me formulate the dye bath for my scavenger Rey pants. Brown 349 is nice...and brown 360 and 400. Its interesting to see the undertones in the formulas. Sometimes they feel surprising. Like if cocoa brown was mixed with a shade of green to tone down the red (thinking about the color wheel and opposite colors). It might start to move closer. https://www.ritdye.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf

I just did a swatch of plain white 100% cotton fabric with RIT Liquid Fabric Dye, Dark Brown. As speculated the undertone is too red. The original putty has cooler tones, it nearly matches a pair of dark olive green/brown pants I have. Although my phone takes poor pics, I thought I would share the comparison between my dyed swatch (right) and the putty (left). On to Dharma Dye, I guess.
View attachment 753359

I was looking for dye for another project and found this shade at Dharma. It is one of their fiber reactive dyes. I really like them. They are more complex to use than Rit but more I've found them to be more predictable. Anyway, I say this color, Brazilnut and thought it looked like a near match to the tunic brown fabric. Its not quite dark enough, but perhaps if mixed with another shade...a darker brown or so.

https://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dharma-fiber-reactive-procion-dyes.html

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 6.26.20 PM.png

I've been studying the pictures, and I think there are two different pairs of pants. One looks like a twill with machine stitching. The other looks like a suede or brushed fabric with hand stitching. Maybe one is earlier and one is hero? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but the stitching looks different to me.

Pant 1 CU.jpgReyPantsseams.png

I also had to purchase the natural color fabric. If anyone has a small swatch of the Putty they could send me, I can Paypal you for the cost of shipping. Thanks!

I've been studying the pictures, and I think there are two different pairs of pants. One looks like a twill with machine stitching. The other looks like a suede or brushed fabric with hand stitching. Maybe one is earlier and one is hero? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but the stitching looks different to me.

View attachment 754762View attachment 754763

I also had to purchase the natural color fabric. If anyone has a small swatch of the Putty they could send me, I can Paypal you for the cost of shipping. Thanks!
Those pants do look different, you're right. One looks thicker and more structured. They pull differently into the stretch too. The colors are also different. But I it could be all in lighting and photo finishing I guess.That was true I for TFA costume. I've sowly gathering pieces and elements and taking notes. But am so reluctant to do very much until the film comes out so I can see how the whole thing comes together. Even though it would beat so fun to have it at the premier!

I have a swatch of the putty color if you still need one.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hi all! Po-Zu (the makers of the footwear used by Rey in TFA) just went live with their new boots...the ones worn by Rey in TLJ. They are a bit different then the ones in the film in that they have a zipper and of course are branded. But word on the street is the anyone going for RL approval should be ok despite this. And for anyone else, you'll get a badd ass pair of boots just like Rey's! They will cost you a lot, lol. But I'm sure we can all just not eat for a while.

https://po-zu.com/products/rey-hi-brown-womens

Have fun!

I purchased the white fabric and have been looking at the Rit Dye chart compared to the swatches aThunder posted. Here are some colors that seem close. I like the last one Neutral 2 597. It looks like the color on these fabric swatches and in pictures of the tunic on her, but in some of the other pictures of the fabric, it looks lighter. The dye charts are here: https://www.ritdye.com/color-library/color-formulas/

Fabric Swatches.jpgBrown 1 403.pngBrown 3 360.pngBrown 3 400.pngNeutral 2 597.png

And thank you to RetroSnowWhite for sending me a swatch of the putty fabric!

How are everyone's builds going? I've just started mine, a bit last minute since I'm trying to get it done in time for a convention at the end of the month. I'm putting together all the references and resources I can find. Here's what I have so far, much of which is from you guys in this post (thank you!!) and a few of which are things I've found. I'll edit this post as I go, so all the information can be in one place.

Cloak and pre-training outfit references
Star-Wars-8-Rey-Story-Details.jpgrey-luke-meet-star-wars-the-last-jedi-1014500.jpgStar-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-images-3.jpgNEGZq54WihMlJO_1_1.jpgdaisy-ridley-by-annie-leibovitz-02-sw-06-17-vf.jpeg9ec782340f75ed65a331672fb5d218d2.jpg

Training outfit references

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ffii_findtheforce.jpg
attachment.php

attachment.php

COSTUME PARTS

Boots

Official boots

Tabard

Official fabric (sold out, probably for good)

Tabard instructions (requires modification to be screen accurate)

Official fabric, but wrong color (requires dye)

Dye chart (the browns on page #29 look to be the closest matches)

Pants

Not screen accurate (will add more options as I find them)

Shawl & Waist Sash

(coming soon)

Belt, Holster & Cuff

(coming soon)

Undershirt

(coming soon)

Arm Wraps

(coming soon)

Hair

(coming soon)

Lightsaber

(coming soon)

Pistol

(coming soon)

Buy outfit parts

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TangledThreadsDesign

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JediOutfitters

(more coming soon)

I'll fill the rest of this out and add more reference photos (and probably resize the ones I've posted) as soon as I have the time. I'll show my personal costume progress in a separate post that I'll link to in this one.

Those pants do look different, you're right. One looks thicker and more structured. They pull differently into the stretch too. The colors are also different. But I it could be all in lighting and photo finishing I guess.That was true I for TFA costume. I've sowly gathering pieces and elements and taking notes. But am so reluctant to do very much until the film comes out so I can see how the whole thing comes together. Even though it would beat so fun to have it at the premier!

I have a swatch of the putty color if you still need one.

Mbotastic, Thank you for the offer of a swatch. I missed your response before. Someone else is sending me a swatch, but thanks so much for offering!

I've finished my first go at the tunic, so here it is:

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.05.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.05.40 PM.png

The bottom half seems to be working well, but I might make the top bigger as it sits well when un-belted but not as well when belted (although it might just be because of the fabric itself). Any other critiques / techniques on how to improve it?

Ariabrook, it basically looks really good! I do think that the top should probably close more when it's belted. I ordered the action figure in hopes I can take off the tabards to see the understructure, but it has not gotten here yet. One pattern I saw that someone drew up – that I can't now find again :( – shows a flap on the back of the bottom, too. And they were making it with a seam at the waist so that the "skirt" area was two separate pieces, and the top was two separate pieces. I don't know how accurate or not that is. I also feel that maybe your cap sleeves are a little to long? Though it's hard to tell for sure. Take a look at these pics. Did you make your own pattern?

Lightsabercross.pngHasbro Star Wars The Last Jedi Rey Jedi Training action figure 2.jpg

I was looking for fabric for the obi. Does anyone know if it is cotton or linen? It gathers up like gauze, but I've seen mention of linen in some of the costumes for sale on Etsy. I found a few fabrics on Fabrics.com that look close to the right color.

Cotton Gauze
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0390515/island-breeze-gauze-grey

Suiting Linen (Probably too stiff)
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0532842/100-european-linen-suiting-charcoal

Linen/Cotton Blend
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0443335/kaufman-essex-linen-blend-graphite

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back