Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

Hi guys! I joined the forum just to add to this specific post :)

Does anyone have an idea of what material her pants are made out of? It seems to be suede to me, but not as shiny as most suedes that I've seen.
I've been obsessed with figuring out the pants. Elsewhere I've seen people saying it's a thin cotton stretch canvas material. But I'm so unsure. The company Prana makes some pants with a similar look and drape. Keeping my eye out for something that can be modified.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Screenshot_2017-07-31-11-54-52-1.png
So the shirt underneath her Obi thing, is this the same cotton twill as the lining of the obi? For a second I thought it was her resistance shirt underneath, but there's no collar on this, so I don't think we've seen her wear it before. Some people have all the fabric already! (In not sure if they're all screen accurate) but still wow! Lol.

View attachment 748092
So the shirt underneath her Obi thing, is this the same cotton twill as the lining of the obi? For a second I thought it was her resistance shirt underneath, but there's no collar on this, so I don't think we've seen her wear it before. Some people have all the fabric already! (In not sure if they're all screen accurate) but still wow! Lol.

It's not the resistance shirt I've been told, but made from the same material they used to line the resistance shirt. So it's the same style (cross over) but without the collar and not lined, if that makes sense!

Hi guys! I joined the forum just to add to this specific post :)

Does anyone have an idea of what material her pants are made out of? It seems to be suede to me, but not as shiny as most suedes that I've seen.

If I had to guess, I would say suede or perhaps a synthetic version. Those pants really do look a lot like suede to me.

The fabric is cheaper on Amazon, I bought 3 yards just incase but the general consensus seems to be that you only need 2 if you're average sized.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5VNNM4/

I'm pretty unfamiliar with jedi robes/tunics though but hers just looks like a simple sack pattern, but knowing the designers, theres probably something else going on :/

Just like how her new sash addition looks darker than the wrap itsself, must be a separate piece.

Annnd it's sold out on both the amazon and mood websites already. I signed up for an email alert, I'll post if I hear anything back.

This looks promising though I'm worried that due to the polyester it might not drape right. And there's also the possibility that the color is too warm...

https://www.moodfabrics.com/brown-diamonds-satin-poly

What do you guys think? I'll try going to mood fabrics LA this weekend, if they have it in stock I'll try to post up some pictures of that fabric under natural light.

Otherwise, buying the cream might be the only option. Even if it does mean a return to...

...Fabric dyeing.

I can still hear those dye swatches mocking me... the laundry machine begging for mercy...

Annnd it's sold out on both the amazon and mood websites already. I signed up for an email alert, I'll post if I hear anything back.

This looks promising though I'm worried that due to the polyester it might not drape right. And there's also the possibility that the color is too warm...

https://www.moodfabrics.com/brown-diamonds-satin-poly

What do you guys think? I'll try going to mood fabrics LA this weekend, if they have it in stock I'll try to post up some pictures of that fabric under natural light.

Otherwise, buying the cream might be the only option. Even if it does mean a return to...

...Fabric dyeing.

I can still hear those dye swatches mocking me... the laundry machine begging for mercy...
I'd jump on the white version of the fabric just in case it sells out too. We're all here to help you with the dyeing! [emoji1]

I was too late to the party for the putty colored fabric but I got 3 yards of the white. Would anyone who got the putty be willing to send me a scrap so I can dye to the correct color? I'd be willing to pay, of course.

Last edited:
I was too late to the party for the putty colored fabric but I got 3 yards of the white. Would anyone who got the putty be willing to send me a scrap so I can dye to the correct color? I'd be willing to pay, of course.

Certainly! I have a few swatches I can share. I'll also post pictures of the . In true Rey costume form, it changes shades in different light and is hard to identify as any one color. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly! I have a few swatches I can share. I'll also post pictures of the . In true Rey costume form, it changes shades in different light and is hard to identify as any one color. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, that's very kind of you! I'll pm you my details soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got two yards of the putty fabric---now onto the padding / lining. Does anyone have any recommendations for what fabric to use for the lining? I've seen others use a cotton twill, but it's really the most important that I match the color.

I'm pretty nervous now since it's sold out to even cut the fabric... Even though I have a pattern that's similar I might try it out on something else first.

I'd appreciate you much if you'd share what "recipe" you come up with.
Im in the same boat as you and was only able to score the white.
Also, what pattern are you all thinking for this?
Robert

The fabric has sold, sorry to all others interested :(

[strike]Anyone looking for the Putty colored fabric from Mood? I finished cutting my pattern for the tunic and have just under 1.5 yards left, plus a 10 inch remnant that is 3 yards long. Should be enough for another average sized tunic and some swatches. PM me if interested.

Edited: the fabric is 57x54 inches, not counting the remnant. Hope that helps anyone wondering if its enough for their pattern.[/strike]

Last edited:
I'd appreciate you much if you'd share what "recipe" you come up with.
Im in the same boat as you and was only able to score the white.
Also, what pattern are you all thinking for this?
Robert

Sure! It'll be a bit before I get around to working on it (I'm making a female Luke for DragonCon at the moment) but I'll post my results when I get it dyed.

Hi, I am going to dye the light color version of the fabric but really want to get the same shade of brown. Would anyone possibly have a few scraps of the putty color available so I can match the color? I would be willing to pay.

Last edited:
Some new photos posted elsewhere on the internet (apparently a Petco ad?) Good look at the seams on the pants. These pics also remind me of a thought I had... Whatever lines the tunic not only gives it structure and weight but thickness too. I wonder what they used. Almost makes me wonder if it is like sine kind of quilted bedding thing. Anyway, here we are!
9b1667a4644d8a608dddb6af71499196.jpg
94ed4c2cfcade8e7839623c32b54ea1f.jpg
7195c6a7b1518dde432f6db149684eb9.jpg
33edbadd8830057ba4b7b9fc2d22dd25.jpg

I've got two yards of the putty fabric---now onto the padding / lining. Does anyone have any recommendations for what fabric to use for the lining? I've seen others use a cotton twill, but it's really the most important that I match the color.

I'm pretty nervous now since it's sold out to even cut the fabric... Even though I have a pattern that's similar I might try it out on something else first.

Did you land on a choice for lining? I haven't gotten there either. It just seems like its more of a padded lining but I can't be sure.

Did you land on a choice for lining? I haven't gotten there either. It just seems like its more of a padded lining but I can't be sure.

Right now I'm focusing on creating a mock one with the pattern that I have to make sure that it works---I did buy some broadcloth from Joann's that matches the fabric as closely as possible to line the back, but I'm not sure if I'm going to add a layer of padding or not.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back