Rey costume from The Last Jedi (possible spoilers)

2002B250-1F3D-41C3-9272-F57415156BBD.jpeg3D872020-EC54-4180-8207-254FD4D677FB.jpeg Ended up using the self sticking gauze from the pharmacy for the arm wraps, and they worked pretty well!
TADAAAA

Hello everyone! I've read through this entire thread now, and am so grateful to everyone for sharing their research.

Question: I see a few of you purchased the blanket in green instead of ivory, and was wondering if anyone had dyed it yet. Was the green a better base choice, or should I go with the ivory? I'm still kicking myself over not getting the SA fabric when it was available. I knew I'd be making this the moment the film came out, but I lied to myself anyway. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Looks great!

How/where are they shifting around? I kept mine in place in a couple different ways: sewed gathers at the shoulders and behind the obi, then made sure the obi was tight enough to hold them. But once you have the obi and belt on, pull the inside and outside edges of the wraps down so that it's tight in place on the shoulders. Not sure if that makes sense... It looks like your's are twisted a bit, it'll help too if they're flat all the way around.
ChissG oddess;4374303 said:
View attachment 781334 Still needs work but it was fun to wear to the premiere! Anyone have any tricks for getting the grey wrap parts to stay in place?

Everybody looks so amazing!!
I'm so sad I’m joining roughly 2 months too late for the amazing screen accurate fabrric for the tabard, trying to find a substitute that’ll work, or I might sit down and make it myself, I’m too gutted that it’s never gonna be available again.

View attachment 781334 Still needs work but it was fun to wear to the premiere! Anyone have any tricks for getting the grey wrap parts to stay in place?

I haven't gotten that far yet with my wife's Rey, but I've had my Ep 3 Obi--Wan that I made completely from scratch for 10 + years now and had an issue with my tabbards staying in place. I secured to the shoulders of my outer tunic using clear plastic snap (available at most fabric or crafts shops). I simply hand stitched 2 snaps on the under side of the left and right tabbard (in the case of Rey that would be the wrap). Just make sure the thread is a very precise match to the fabric color and hand-stitch to the under side and only through the under side of the fabric so the stitches don't show on the top side. Works like a charm!

Hi all,
Costumer Dawn Bright posted these amazing pics of costumes from TLJ that also include good close ups of Rey's new outfit. I learned so much about the obi. Good grief! Rey makes even a simple obi seemingly complicated. Onward!

https://imgur.com/a/YPlRl

You mean the diamond tunic fabric? I've had some really great feedback on my blanket find at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKGFR7M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Pn5SdURKTIUm3
Ah nice! I will have to purchase that, and just live with it for now. I think I might end up making the fabric mor accurate myself later if I have the time..

also wondering if anybody have any offcuts or the diamond tunic fabric that I could buy? Just so that I have a reference for making it myself.
Or if people actually have leftovers that could be used for the tunic I would happily buy it off you for double the price, so desperate x<

For anyone considering getting the Po Zu boots, you can get them 10% off by going to checkout up until the point where you prepare to pay, closing the tab, and then waiting 24-48 hours for them to email you reminding you with a coupon. The coupon says 10£ off but if you enter the code manually it comes out to 10% off instead. I just picked up the TFA boots this way.

Hello everyone! I know this is a stretch, but if anyone hears of someone who has any left over Putty Surface Embroidered Diamond Cotton Woven screen accurate fabric over a yard, please let me know! I'm willing to pay more that what was listed. I thought I bought the fabric when it was available, but something happened to my card and it ended up not going through. :( Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone considering getting the Po Zu boots, you can get them 10% off by going to checkout up until the point where you prepare to pay, closing the tab, and then waiting 24-48 hours for them to email you reminding you with a coupon. The coupon says 10£ off but if you enter the code manually it comes out to 10% off instead. I just picked up the TFA boots this way.
That's really nice to know, thank you!!

Also just finished my arm wraps and my undershirt, really excited to start on the pants and other parts!

Sorry for bad quality,also just noticed the image is flipped
55102eacdf202a903a9f5276bf3c9f6f.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello :)

I have been away for some time and could not work on my costume yet, but maybe next week.
After watching the film several times I am now sure the brown tunic has got some tucks under the wrapdress. I think I saw them when she is wearing the Tunic for the first time and going down the stairs. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Thank you for the link to those pictures @mbotastic :D This helps a lot for the obi! But I never would have imagined the Obi to be brown. I always thought it is a dark grey. How do you think about this? Might it be a very dark brown/grey or just some very dark brown? What about the fabric? Do you all think it is some wool-gauze-thing? I would love to use linen but I am not sure about this.

Hello :)

I have been away for some time and could not work on my costume yet, but maybe next week.
After watching the film several times I am now sure the brown tunic has got some tucks under the wrapdress. I think I saw them when she is wearing the Tunic for the first time and going down the stairs. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Thank you for the link to those pictures @mbotastic :D This helps a lot for the obi! But I never would have imagined the Obi to be brown. I always thought it is a dark grey. How do you think about this? Might it be a very dark brown/grey or just some very dark brown? What about the fabric? Do you all think it is some wool-gauze-thing? I would love to use linen but I am not sure about this.
The obi is... interesting. I'm beginning to think it is simply fabric wrapped around her waist. That's what all the pics I've seen indicate. As for the color, I think it is a dark grey. Perhaps grey with a touch of brown. The lighting in those pictures filters everything and I think that display placard that says the colors is just wrong. No way is the tabard dress taupe. I think this picture this promo picture is still pretty true to color.

As for fabric I think it's a slub cotton or linen. I found some at a discount fabric store in town that I'm going to dye. The edges look to be unfinished in the pictures and this stuff also doesn't seem to unravel much. Hopefully it works. I mocked it up in white by just wrapping and ticking at the widest part of the belt and got all the necessary wrinkling (my tunics not done and my belts my resistance Rey belt done I don't have that yet either so office all that [emoji6]). So maybe it's a simple as that.

I didn't catch any tucks on the brown tunic. Can you describe them more? But I did very clearly catch that the white undershirt she wears is fully lined. You can see it in one fight sequence that it has two layers in the back. More layers!
42e434aa7a8ab9279390f9e75530cf5d.jpg
b4630d4e677eee8e48d8742cd5b612ea.jpg
3058414d04f4dc014a1f2fb15bdf3d18.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

that belt sucks ;)

I am going to be close behind you on this. After seeing the film a few times I've finally warmed up to this costume...and I'm glad I bought the mood fabric when i did LOL

that belt sucks ;)

I am going to be close behind you on this. After seeing the film a few times I've finally warmed up to this costume...and I'm glad I bought the mood fabric when i did LOL
Lolz. Ya, that belt is garbage. But the garage will do [emoji6][emoji1].

Yay! I'm glad you've warmed up to this custume. I was on the fence too. But when I started putting on the pieces as I moved along I started to love it. It's no scavenger, but it feels pretty awesome. Also after that Snoke chamber fight scene I was stoked by how cool Rey looked.

after that Snoke chamber fight scene I was stoked by how cool Rey looked.

That was a 100% genuine fist-in-the-air moment for me.... EVERY time I saw it :)

I'm thinking this costume--as with the resistence vest---will hide the things i don't like about my body and I'll enjoy wearing it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back