Bandai + F-Toys 144th Scale Fleet

I've added the first Imperial forces to my 144th fleet. I picked up 2 of the TIE Advanced 2-pack, so I could have a complete Vader + 2 TIE Fighters set. I played around with the panels a bit - I did one TIE fighter with masking all the struts and spraying the panels flat black. Vader's TIE I painted the panels a mix of masking and hand-painting, and the second TIE fighter was 100% brush-painted, and it turned out the cleanest.

All hand painted with Vallejo Model Air - loading up a 10/0 brush and letting the paint flow up to the edge of each strut. I was able to get really clean edges that way, and still get a nice even finish. The cockpit canopy was done the same way. I'll have a few pics of that painting progress up later, they're on my other computer.

Panel lines and wing details pin-washed with Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss before a final flat clearcoat.

IMG_4222.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4231.JPGIMG_4204.JPGIMG_4236.JPG

The TIE Fighter pictured here is the final one - after painting the Striker, X1, and one TIE Fighter already I had the most practice and the canopy came out the best. Vader's is a bit dodgy in photos, but looks fine at a typical viewing distance.

Edit: wing panels in-progress:

P5148586.jpgP5148587.jpg

Last edited:
And here's a shot I really like of the current Rebel/Resistance contingent, all lined up on my window sill at work (I can't display them like this at home because....cats. cats destroy everything).

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm planning to do at least one more X-Wing/A-Wing pair in the same colors too - the A-Wing looks pretty great in Poe Dameron's black squadron black & orange, so it's likely to get paired with the Poe Dameron T-70 X-wing when I get around to that.

Started my first Y-wing for the fleet. The Y-wing was never my favorite ship, but I see why the Bandai Y-wing kits are so popular - it's so much fun to build and paint! And the body detailing is *insane* at this scale.

I've still got to do some more detailing (particularly on the pipes), and there's a couple of spots where the weathering doesn't match yet. I went with a non-canon red color scheme because I like it. All brush-painted. Chipping is a combination of scraping with a hobby knife, dabbing gray and metallic paint with a piece of sponge, and brush-painting with metallic paint.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I finished the first Y-wing, and immediately started another :)

P5249647.jpgP5249652.jpgP5249649.jpg

Since the first shot, I've detailed the copper piping (with a fine tip paint marker), the R2 unit (ditto), and painted and weathered the cockpit canopy cannons (the barrels are Vallejo pale burnt metal metallic, with a Citadel Nuln Oil wash -- the combination of Vallejo metallics and Nuln Oil is pretty great for machinery).

I've been lax in updating this thread - I've got a *lot* of tiny builds since the last update. Let's see - the list now includes 7 T-65 X-wings, 3 T-70 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 2 TIE fighters, 1 TIE advanced, 1 TIE striker, 4 A-wings, and 2 snowspeeders,

Here's the latest 2 that I spent my Fourth of July finishing - a Rogue One Blue Leader:

P7053787

P7053803

P7023734

and an ANH Red Five:

P7053798

P7053794

And all the X-wings in formation:

FullSizeRender.jpg

That last one is a custom - NATO Squadron (because of the use of NATO Black and NATO Green paints) - flickr photoset here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aalpern/sets/72157681521810543/

Terrific looking ‘ fleet ‘ you’ve got there ... so far ! :p. Thanks for sharing . Is that photo accurate - not photoshopped or anything , I mean ? And they’re all 1/144 in scale !
Asking cause I didn’t realise how small the U-wing was compared to the Falcon and , first order tie striker ?

Ged

Last edited:
Terrific looking ‘ fleet ‘ you’ve got there ... so far ! :p. Thanks for sharing . Is that photo accurate - not photoshopped or anything , I mean ? And they’re all 1/144 in scale !
Asking cause I didn’t realise how small the U-wing was compared to the Falcon and , first order tie striker ?

Ged

Well, technically speaking it's Photoshopped to hell, because I assembled the whole thing in Photoshop! But, none of the models are digitally retouched, and they're all scaled consistently.

To ensure each ship was scaled properly relative to the rest of them, I photographed them all positioned next to a consistent object as reference - in this case a spare camera battery. Once I'd picked the best frames of each, I removed the background, imported them into photoshop as layers, and scaled each one until the battery was the same size. A fairly straightforward but painstaking process.

Thanks for that ! Yeah , that’s what I was clumsily trying to ask :facepalm, re; size comparison .
On an aside , going by your collection so far , it’s good to see the ‘ good ‘ guys are finally out numbering the ‘ baddies ‘ ! ;)

:cheersGed

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back