Reebok Stompers and other Aliens themed shoes

Re: Reebok Stompers and other Aliens themes shoes

What's so bad about them? I only ask because I'm thinking about picking up a pair and I want to see if the problems are something I can live with.
2855d69d3cefd680dbd8722cfed139c0.jpg

attachment.php

Clearly you get what you pay for. These are a cheap knock off, but as I stated, compared the V1 NIKE MAG we got in 2012, these are not too bad. The look full height and at least these are the right colourway.

Branding aside (or lack there of), the biggest scream out is the way the bridge strap is sewn onto the upper on these verses how the seam is blended on the real shoes. On the real shoe, it seems to come out under the medial panel. If they had continued that red trim around onto the medial side, it would have made that strap blend better and not lock like it just an add on. Other than that, these look OK and I'd own a pair of these for kickers.

Last edited:

What's so bad about them? I only ask because I'm thinking about picking up a pair and I want to see if the problems are something I can live with.

they just aren't very well made. first of all, my size wasn't readily available so i had to go with the custom option. i've had custom shoes made in the past, so i know my measurements. i supplied said measurements, but the shoe i got fit horribly. not only was it too long, it was also way too wide, wider than any shoe i've ever owned. the materials is very cheap and flimsy, ugly stitching. all of the velcro straps were way too long, included way too much slack. considering the shoe features no lacing, it made it impossible to get the shoe secured snug enough to actually walk in, or to keep the tongue in place. another issue with the tongue, it's way too narrow. no matter how you try to position it, even if you can manage to get it to stay in place, you'll notice big, obvious gaps on each side of the shoe. i tried contacting xcoser a couple of times regarding all of this, and never received a response. i wouldn't suggest them, unless you're prepared to do some HEAVY modifications.

xcoser.jpg

I watched ALIENS the other night because it was mentioned on another thread that Sigourney Weaver had someone from costume clip her straps off with a pair if scissors. Apparently when they were pulled tight to hold her pant legs in, the excess strap flapped around and annoyed her. Whilst I don't have this problem when I test wore them, in the final scene on the Sulaco, you can indeed see the very long straps. In the earlier rescue scenes (shot later?) her straps are shorter.

So back to the XCoser Stompers, these are vinyl or pvc? They certainly would not be leather like the Reeboks are. That in itself would make the shoes feel cheap. That said, Reebok did many vinyl shoes over the years.

So back to the XCoser Stompers, these are vinyl or pvc? They certainly would not be leather like the Reeboks are. That in itself would make the shoes feel cheap. That said, Reebok did many vinyl shoes over the years.

I'm not certain of the materials but from the way it looks and feels i'm pretty sure it's some kind of synthetic material or PU or whatever.

XCoser even states on their site that they are faux leather.

I'm not certain of the materials but from the way it looks and feels i'm pretty sure it's some kind of synthetic material or PU or whatever.
Do you still have them?

I decided to do a Tiffany Beers style look at the real shoe. Would be cool if you could do a similar thing with the shoes you have.

Image 1 Reebok Stomper
Image 2 The sock liner is thick. This is where any cushioning comes from.
Image 3 no "strogle". This shoe is constructed like a dress shoe, not an athletic shoe. See image 12.
Image 4 and 5 The tongue is wide at over 3 inches when flattened out. I'm going to say it might be 4 inches at the widest part.
Image 6 No laces and what I really like about this design.
Image 7 The lace strap cover is quality leather with strong velcro. The ankle and shin straps are quite thin but also well made.
Image 8 The stomper is a very tall shoe at almost 11 inches. It is taller than the Nike MAG at about 10 inch tall.
Image 9 The back of the shoe is quite plain. The collar is not leather, rather a synthetic. It feels like the material sport shoe tongues were made from in the late 1980s.
Image 10 The midsole is quite a hard rubber or compressed foam.
Image 11 Traction should be quite good. I do like the outrigger sole. This seems to be the same type of sole used on their other Basket Ball shoes.
Image 12 inside of the Nike MAG showing the difference in construction.
f38e29ca39f02f53ccf54b0afe21722b.jpg
5d663dbbb0c49e41b7aa46da6cd51eb2.jpg
dbcc71144125c039c99224a7e5b6040d.jpg
8c40edbf7456069f60a47a74f0f09908.jpg
47ed1d9e2d90c1ab6a615d6fa5f273e8.jpg
fc0d5ce80a1d85610fc2362e0bdab4d7.jpg
216db798837aa9ef5289b0a89407f52c.jpg
25a807d958c540a259c6eeff709a8622.jpg
4ecd3f5658f02f34139e577d697ba647.jpg
fbafe33ff757bea69b70d212c8d0426e.jpg
d54485a5e3a7f17e11e5c789489af704.jpg
ef90d6b53b6c0e5cd18aec58e3c52bd2.jpg

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

For about $100usd, should we expect real leather? I think not.
I am curious enough to order a pair.

For about $100usd, should we expect real leather? I think not.
I am curious enough to order a pair.

Rrright, forgive me, I could not remember what the Xcoser product page listed for the materials, and I didn't care to go back and check.

I was well aware that I was purchasing a cheap shoe. For $100 I wasn't expecting much, however I was expecting them to somewhat fit, or at least hold together well enough to function as an actual shoe. Unfortunately I no longer have them, after my multiple emails to Xcoser's support went ignored, I threw them away out of frustration. I considered just sending them back, but after looking up shipping prices I figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

I can tell you a few things though:

- The sock liner is very thin, it does not stand on its own as it appears to do in the product shot.

- The tongue is much thinner, 2.5 to 3 inches wide at the most.

- There is no elastic strap going over the top of the foot. The shoe staying on your foot depends entirely on the lace strap, which was a full inch too long. The velcro straps in this area are also very small.

- The velcro is very cheap quality and doesn't have much "grab."

- The shoe is much shorter than I was expecting, 8 inches or so, 9 at the most.

I'm assuming the Reebok news (if there is any) will be an announcement on 4/26 about a future release.

@aeonpulse they sound like they might be OK for a static prop if you are not a stickler for the finer details. You can always add the branding. As for wearing, probably not. Clearly they have missed one major part being the elastic strap. It would the first thing I'd add even if it cost a few dollars to get the shoe guy to sew it in. Because even the genuine Reebok needs this to be wearable. The strap only just closes on these shoes when I test wore them. There appears to be excess without a foot inside, but there is just enough once on my foot.

Something I will add on the construction of these real deal Stompers is that they use the much older technique where the stitching around the sole is NOT just for decoration. That breaks, so does the shoe. I would have thought that in 2016 (when these were made), that Reebok might have use the stroble method and more of glued on technique. It appears that went with the 30+ year old method.

The "velcro" sounds like that cheaper Chinese hook and loop where the loop side almost freys after a few open/closes. The V1 MAG was the same and crapped us all off.

So what size did you need and what do you think the custom size was? My wife will fit the sizes listed on site and if I do order a pair, it will be for her as she nagging me about getting her some MAGs.

So as you can see, mine are UK8 or US9 which is probably a touch too small for me (my NIKE shoe size is usually US9.5 to US10) and I will never wear these out. They were bought for display only, but the temptation to test wear them was just too much. I caved in on that one.

I have some 'reebok classic' basketball shoes that were probably originally common when the 'aliens' boots were first made, the construction of the soles looks fairly similar. The area I've circled on mine is a foam type material, not rubber - that's where more cushioning comes in. Is it the same (soft-ish foam) on the Stompers?
DSC_0163.JPGDSC_0165.JPGfoam.jpg

I have some 'reebok classic' basketball shoes that were probably originally common when the 'aliens' boots were first made, the construction of the soles looks fairly similar. The area I've circled on mine is a foam type material, not rubber - that's where more cushioning comes in. Is it the same (soft-ish foam) on the Stompers?

It might be the same. It reminds me of the type of rubber used on these.

nike-internationalist-og-colorway-56a88d663df78cf7729ec191.jpg

It has to be a softer shore than the outer rubber, but I am going to say that most of the comfort of the Stompers (and they are actually very conformfortable) is the sock liner, not the mid-sole.

So what size did you need and what do you think the custom size was? My wife will fit the sizes listed on site and if I do order a pair, it will be for her as she nagging me about getting her some MAGs.

I typically wear a US size 10.5, but the shoe I received fit more like a size 13. In addition to the shoe being too long, it was also ridiculously wide. There was nearly half an inch of side-to-side wiggle room. I put on three pairs of socks and the shoe was still way too loose to stay on my foot.

It's kinda bizarre how inaccurate the shoe was to the measurements I provided, I'm wondering if maybe I happen to order a pair at the same time as someone else, and our shipments were mixed up. There's no way of knowing for sure since I couldn't get a response from xcoser support. Perhaps this isn't an issue with their readily-available "standard" sizes? Either way I suppose it isn't a super terrible gamble considering it's 100 bucks. You're obviously way more knowledgeable than I am regarding shoes, so if you do order a pair and they turn out to be as awful as mine, maybe you could document a tutorial showing us all how to make them not-so-terrible?

I typically wear a US size 10.5, but the shoe I received fit more like a size 13. In addition to the shoe being too long, it was also ridiculously wide. There was nearly half an inch of side-to-side wiggle room. I put on three pairs of socks and the shoe was still way too loose to stay on my foot.

It's kinda bizarre how inaccurate the shoe was to the measurements I provided, I'm wondering if maybe I happen to order a pair at the same time as someone else, and our shipments were mixed up. There's no way of knowing for sure since I couldn't get a response from xcoser support. Perhaps this isn't an issue with their readily-available "standard" sizes? Either way I suppose it isn't a super terrible gamble considering it's 100 bucks. You're obviously way more knowledgeable than I am regarding shoes, so if you do order a pair and they turn out to be as awful as mine, maybe you could document a tutorial showing us all how to make them not-so-terrible?

With Alien Day only days away, they may still hit is up on the 26th...or they may not.

I'm not in a hurry given I have the real shoes, but yeah, probably worth the time and money to do a comparison YouTube video.

It might be the same. It reminds me of the type of rubber used on these.
https://fthmb.tqn.com/MyQvLi76Yra88...list-og-colorway-56a88d663df78cf7729ec191.jpg
It has to be a softer shore than the outer rubber, but I am going to say that most of the comfort of the Stompers (and they are actually very conformfortable) is the sock liner, not the mid-sole.

yeah, I have those Internationalists too, the foam is a lot harder to press in with your finger than most modern foams, but it is compressible enough under-foot.
You always seem to feel the insole the most though as it's the part in most direct touch with your foot, isn't it? That's why swapping out an insole with a better one can make such a big difference.
I guess back in the day there never was anything as squishy as Boost or anything. :) Similar foam was used in a lot of shoes back in the 80s? Admittedly I didn't pay much attention to shoes until the early 90's though.

yeah, I have those Internationalists too, the foam is a lot harder to press in with your finger than most modern foams, but it is compressible enough under-foot.

When did the NIKE AIR sole actually come out? Reebok didn't do ERS until The Pump in 1989. Up until them, most shoes used that white compressed foam as a midsole material.

You always seem to feel the insole the most though as it's the part in most direct touch with your foot, isn't it? That's why swapping out an insole with a better one can make such a big difference.

For sure. That is why I am loving the swap outs on the MAGs. The Stompers have a thick sockliner, thick enough to almost free support. They are soft and why I was actually surprised with the hard card board inside the shoe itself. The V2 MAGs feel much harder underfoot and that is because of the way they are made. These do not feel like that.
I guess back in the day there never was anything as squishy as Boost or anything. :) Similar foam was used in a lot of shoes back in the 80s? Admittedly I didn't pay much attention to shoes until the early 90's though.

Materials including glues have improved over the last 30 years - at least we hope.

My Reebok Pumps and later the Air Pressure were the first shoes I bought where I noticed that they had moved to spongy foam polyurethane for the mid-soles. The problems with this foam is that it only lasted about 5 years, so the foam in the midsole would just dry up and crumble. Hopefully the newer versions of the shoes I have bought use different materials and I don't have a repeat of that tragic day.

The Stompers are built well but I did notice that the stitching on the outsole to the upper is part of what joins the sole to the upper. If the thread breaks, chances are, so will the shoes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back