Scratch Built Doctor Who Matt Smith Tardis Interior

Robajob

As proposed in my first post Matt Smith Tardis http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276113 and subsequently requested by members I am undertaking a build thread for this scratch built project.
I will post this in complete sections so as not to be too longwinded/boring and will try to post 1 or 2 a week, time allowing.

Firstly let me start off by stating the initial build was inspired, affected and requested by my son, who I would definitely class as a Whovian even at his tender age. So how could one refuse the request of a small boy that has requested “My very own Tardis”!
With such a keen interest in anything Doctor Who, I have found that encouraging his fanaticism is a way of leading him to other interesting learning discoveries and opens that wonderful world of imagination.
So with his request being the initial inspiration/motivation, I started to do some research, designing and general digging around to see what I could eventually use to make this request become a reality on a budget.
The first thing I came across was the fantastic resource of Google maps, which I am sure that most Dr Who fans will be aware that if you visit the Police Box at Earl’s Court you can actually go inside theTardis and within certain limitations have a good look around the whole Tardis.
Research done! With this resource in hand I felt I had a very good head start on getting to grips with the project, so I started trying to get a sense of scale and overall size, and soon realised this was going to be big!
It was at this point that I came across a brilliant site called AFT (Action FigureTheatre), which has some excellent sets that you can download, print and put together to use with your action figures.
A vast amount of the work already done for you, what more could you ask for.
Unfortunately that was when the initial request changed, it wasn’t just” My very own Tardis” my son wanted, it had to have “moving parts and lights” just like his shop bought David Tennant Tardis.
OK, that could be do-able, the next request was lightweight enough to move around, or more precisely ”So I can take it to Grandma’s”, ok that shouldn’t be too much of a problem either and the last request, “It has to look like the real thing”, ok that’s a given, but out the window went any artistic license and compromise.
So I set about using the AFT Tardis set as a base of construction from which to resize, redraw, increase the accuracy and alter the construction from card stock to something lightweight but more substantial in order for it to actually become structural.

But for now, some pictures showing the initial setup and construction of the Main Base and Struts which would form the basic skeleton from which to build the remainder.
1. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg
Basic Floor Plan Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.

2.Tardis Struts Side Elevation.jpg
Drawing of the Strut Side Elevation scaled to account for figure size, doors and relevant to reference material.

3. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg
The Main Base was cut from 6mm plywood, using the Basic Floor Plan Design drawing above.
Struts were routed out by hand from 12mm MDF using the Side Elevation as a template.

4. Landing Floor Panels.jpg
Landing Floor Panels cut from 6mm ply using the Basic Floor Plan Design and in the picture below installed temporarily.

5. Landing Temporarily added.jpg

IMG_20150331_205451.jpg
The obligatory check for scale, or rather “The Doctor surveys the construction progress to date”.

IMG_20150407_132400.jpg
Check done and passed by the Doctor, the installation of the structural support for the landing was installed using 2mm styrene.

IMG_20150407_132426.jpg
And the remainder of the supports installed.

IMG_20150414_101400.jpg
Strut painting undertaken using acrylic paints, upon closer inspection you may notice that there are actually 3 colours sponge applied over the blue basecoat to give texture and depth to try and match the original paintwork.

10. Main Base and Landing Painting.jpg
Main Base and Landing Panels were base coated with acrylics.

So as far as stage 1 Main Base and Struts goes, that all for now folks!

2.Tardis Struts Side Elevation.jpg

3. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg

4. Landing Floor Panels.jpg

5. Landing Temporarily added.jpg

10. Main Base and Landing Painting.jpg

View attachment 1. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg

IMG_20150331_205451.jpg

IMG_20150407_132400.jpg

IMG_20150407_132426.jpg

IMG_20150414_101400.jpg

1. Tardis Main Base + Struts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So continuing with the build thread in sections, strap in coz here is section 2.

Just a quick recap, with some initial reference material sourced and a good headstart using AFT’s Tardis as a basis the initial design had been drawn up and from this the skeleton of the Tardis had been constructed.
Satisfied with the bare bones fitting together nicely and giving the correct overall feel for the Tardis size wise, I was confident to start the fleshing out by constructing some of the key elements in line with the next stage of the design drawings shown below.
I will state now that this is going to be a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey, as I have posted complete sections to keep it simplistic and progressive.
The works were not necessarily undertaken in this completed fashion shown in the pictures, due to the very nature of requiring each element to be partially constructed in order to start the next construction phase. Which obviously,will all eventually be linked together. So some of the detailing stages here were actually undertaken at a later time, enabling me to continue with the construction and fall back to detailing when satisfied with each component and element within the overall construction.
See what I mean about a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey.
Confused,well you won’t be after this episode of……..
Section 2; Engine compartment + Main Console Floor.
00. Engine Compartment + Main Console.jpg

Basic Console Floor Plan Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized,redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together and relate to each other in the final assembly.
The green dotted line indicates the Engine Compartment, the blue line indicates the Main Console.

01. Engine Compartment + Struts Side Elevation.jpg

Drawing of the Engine Compartment and Support Struts Side Elevation.

2. IMG_20150421_235309.jpg
The test piece Engine Compartment was constructed using white card to check the correct height and angles to account for figure size, opening compartment doors and relevant to reference material.
The clear plastic cup insert from the tube packaging which was used to create the Time Rotor Cylinder later in the project on top of the Engine Compartment to create basement Time Rotor window.
Albeit this item is actually the wrong height in comparison to the original, it was an element I chose to use as it fit the bill, was what I had and could be made to fit without compromising the overall structure too much.
The only knock on effect of this was to reduce the overall basement height by 12mm,meaning I had to lose 1 step on the basement steps.

3. IMG_20150421_235402.jpg

Picture showing the opening compartment door on the test piece.
The obligatory check for scale and another inspection by the Doctor!

4. IMG_20150428_000213.jpg

The test piece for the Engine Compartment was then cut out and constructed from 6mm ply.
The Support Struts for the Console Floor were hand routed using 12mm MDF.

5. IMG_20150428_152012.jpg

The Engine Compartment with Support Struts dry fitted and checked.

6. IMG_20150428_151511.jpg

Picture showing the Main Console Floor in conjunction with the Support Struts and the Engine Compartment with door open for detailing and access later in the project.

8. IMG_20150501_181230.jpg

The Support Struts and Main Console Floor were base coated with acrylics.
The Engine Compartment was detailed to achieve a panel effect on each door by chiselling in the rebate to create the panel surround.
The Engine Compartment was then painted black internally and given a basic woodpaint effect externally.

10. IMG_20150501_181437.jpg

Closer shot of the Engine Compartment top showing the panelling, wood effect paintwork and the 2 No. opening doors.
Also shown in the background is the underside of the Main Console Floor which was painted with acrylics with minor detailing to indicate damage upon installation of pipework, shown later.

11. IMG_20160813_202149.jpg

At a later stage further detailing to the Engine Compartment was undertaken by installation of the brass portholes, holes were drilled into the panelled doors and the portholes positioned, which were actually metal washers.
The porthole glass was cut from some clear plastic and painted with green glass paint on 1 side to achieve the desired colour to the glass.

12. IMG_20160813_202243.jpg

Closer shot showing 1 of the 2 No. opening doors to the Engine Compartment with yet another metal washer painted brass to create the porthole on the inside of the Engine Compartment.

14. IMG_20160813_202505.jpg

Closer shot with some back lighting showing the green glass brass portholes.

16. IMG_20160824_125409.jpg

The Main Console Floor was painted with acrylics to match the remaining floors and marked out in readiness for the Console Grates at a later date.
The detail of this picture shows the positioning of the required access in the Main Console floor to allow for the lighting to the Side Consoles to be installed via the tubes which will adorn the underside of the Main Console Floor at a later date.

17. IMG_20160824_130059.jpg
Some of the mass of cables and tubes that will adorn the underside of the Main Console Floor.
These were a mixture of electrical cables of various sizes and internet sourced ribbed tubes.
All were painted with acrylics either by airbrush or by hand to achieve the desired colour to match the original.
Installation began with the larger tubes and was built up in layers from there.

18. IMG_20160824_124421.jpg
19. IMG_20160824_152619.jpg20. IMG_20160824_193504.jpg
21. IMG_20160824_213418.jpg22. IMG_20160825_113531.jpg23. IMG_20160825_204351.jpg
The above pictures show the installation and build-up of the various wires and tubes at their relevant stages.

30. IMG_20160826_131249.jpg

Completion shot of the dry fit check of the Engine Compartment, Support Struts and Main Console Floor with the tubes and cables to the underside of the floor intertwining to add depth and detail, also with a test of the Time Rotor lighting.

31. IMG_20160826_131316.jpg
Picture showing dry fit check of the Engine Compartment with the open doors to front and rear with the Time Rotor lighting that will be visible inside the compartment, again this was to be further detailed at a later date.

So as far as stage 2 Engine Compartment and Main Console Floor goes, that all for now folks!

01. Engine Compartment + Struts Side Elevation.jpg

2. IMG_20150421_235309.jpg

3. IMG_20150421_235402.jpg

4. IMG_20150428_000213.jpg

5. IMG_20150428_152012.jpg

6. IMG_20150428_151511.jpg

8. IMG_20150501_181230.jpg

10. IMG_20150501_181437.jpg

11. IMG_20160813_202149.jpg

12. IMG_20160813_202243.jpg

14. IMG_20160813_202505.jpg

16. IMG_20160824_125409.jpg

17. IMG_20160824_130059.jpg

18. IMG_20160824_124421.jpg

19. IMG_20160824_152619.jpg

20. IMG_20160824_193504.jpg

21. IMG_20160824_213418.jpg

22. IMG_20160825_113531.jpg

23. IMG_20160825_204351.jpg

30. IMG_20160826_131249.jpg

31. IMG_20160826_131316.jpg

00. Engine Compartment + Main Console.jpg

“Come on, Rory! It isn't rocket science, it's just quantum physics!
But in this case it actually is rocket science and quantum physics combined, well sort of.
So, continuing with the build thread in sections, here is section 3.

A quick recap, with the aid of some very good reference material and a satisfactory fit on the basic skeleton of the Tardis it was time to start connecting the sections as per the original design drawing.
Section 3; Basement Floor + Stairs.

0. Tardis + Floor Levels.jpg
Basic Side Elevation Design drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together and relate to each other in the final assembly.
I had determined from the start that the Flight Control Tardis would be used for the entrance and that in this instance, unlike the other 5” Tardis play sets, that the front half would project past the structure to enable the flashing light atop the Tardis to be shown.
The final position of the Tardis was then drawn up in relation to the Main Console Floor. Which in turn related to and would dictate the staircase heights for;Main Console Floor to Landing, from the Main Console Floor to the Dais Floor and from the Dais Floor to the Basement Floor.
These were calculated and checked in relation to the reference material and with these established, the correct dimensions for the steps/stairs for the 3 No. areas could be calculated.
Again using the reference material to ascertain the correct number of steps to the various areas, all bar the basement, which as explained in the previous post would be lacking 1 step, could then be drawn up to use as templates for construction.

1. Tardis Basement + Dais Stairs.jpg
Drawing of the Dais to Basement Steps and Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs Side Elevation to be used as a templates.

2. Tardis Landing Stairs.jpg
Drawing of the Main Console Floor to Landing Stairs Side Elevation to be used as a template.

3..jpg
Picture showing the Dais floor cut from insulation foam to the correct height with the fluid organic shape from the original design drawing in conjunction with the reference material.
This was one element that had to be undertaken with a bit of trial and error to achieve the correct organic shape and get the steps/stairs to fit into the correct positions in relation to the reference material.

4..jpg
With the Dais Floor cut to shape, the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the Dais to Basement Floor Steps could be cut for rough size from the same insulation foam using the templates.

5..jpg
The Main Console Floor to Dais Staircase and Dais to Basement Steps, were then hand cut using the above templates to achieve the correct number of steps and overall shape.

6..jpg
Picture showing the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the 2 No. Basement steps in position.

7..jpg
Picture showing the Main Console Floor to Dais Stairs and the 2 No. Basement steps in position from above in readiness for preparation prior to priming.

8..jpg
Picture showing all steps and stairs in dry fit position with priming undertaken and how all relate to each other in the final construction.

9..jpg
Picture showing all steps and stairs in dry fit position with priming undertaken and how all relate to each other in the final construction from the front.

10..jpg
A picture showing the detail of the 4 levels and how they inter-connect overall.

11..jpg
The obligatory check for scale and another inspection by the Doctor!

12..jpg
The obligatory check for scale and the inspection by the Doctor continues!

13..jpg
14..jpg
The completed areas were then base coated using acrylics.

15..jpg
A picture showing the Doctor surveying the overall progress to date, Stairs and Steps dry fitted and base coated, the structure is starting to tie together.

So as far as stage 3 Basement Floor + Stairs goes, that’s all for now folks!

12..jpg

13..jpg

14..jpg

15..jpg

0. Tardis + Floor Levels.jpg

1. Tardis Basement + Dais Stairs.jpg

2. Tardis Landing Stairs.jpg

3..jpg

4..jpg

5..jpg

6..jpg

7..jpg

8..jpg

9..jpg

10..jpg

11..jpg

“Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink.”
So doing just that, let’s see what we can see, without blinking never ever.
Oh alright then, you can blink, because this part actually does blink anyway, wait and see, the next section of this build thread, section 4.

A recap, using the very good reference material, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was accomplished.
This section is where things start to get real interestin’ as the external basic structure gets completed.

Section 4;Tardis Entrance, Corridor + Walkway .

0. Tardis Entrance.jpg

Basic Side Elevation of the Tardis Entrance and Walkway Corridor drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate 4 No. floor levels will fit together in relation to the Tardis Entrance, Corridor and Walkway.
It had been determined from the outset, that the Flight Control Tardis would be used to create the entrance.
But unlike the other available Tardis playsets, this one was going to be somewhat better proportioned and have the lantern atop the Tardis exposed so that it could be seen to be a working light.
To achieve this would mean leaving half the Tardis outside of the main structure,unlike the real stage set and relocating all of the electronics.
By having half the Tardis exposed to the external structure, it would be necessary to elongate the Walkway Corridor to accommodate this fact.
In this instance, I put it down to artistic license, or in real terms, I can’t compress time and space like the Doctor does.
Or at least that was what I thought would be an acceptable rational to tell my son.

So hang onto your hats folk’s, coz this could be a bumpy ride, trying to dissemble an already broken Tardis and make it into something new.
Let the games begin….

1..jpg
To utilise the Flight Control Tardis involved carefully disassembling the Tardis to enable access to all the activation electronics, which were to be usable upon completion of the redesign/refit.

2..jpg
Including the top light, which at the time of construction did not function.

3..jpg
Having removed the internal components, the electronics to the back wall including the speaker, battery compartment and main board were exposed.

4..jpg
After some very careful removal, cutting and fettling, the 3 No. remaining Tardis walls were free to be incorporated into the Corridor structure.

5..jpg
With the correct height determined from the design drawings, the base for the Tardis and compartment for the relocation of all the necessary electronics was constructed from 6mm ply.
As already stated, all of the activation switches to the underside of the Flight Control Tardis had to still function and be accessible, hence the necessity for no top to be incorporated to the structure, to allow access from underneath inside the compartment to the flight controls.

6..jpg
Temporary test for fit and position with the electronics roughly placed in their new position.

7..jpg
Temporary test for fit and position side view.

8..jpg
The inside of the Flight Control Tardis doors, as there were at disassembly.

9..jpg
The inside of the Tardis doors were panelled using 2mm styrene sheet and utilised the old discarded back wall glass panels to complete the doors internally.

10..jpg
The Tardis was then dry fit to check functionality and the internal box for the telephone was constructed using 2mm styrene sheet.
This picture also shows the initial check of the ribbing to the corridor which was to be undertaken using straws to keep the construction lightweight.
Due to the extremely tight tolerances, the side walls and windows had to be sanded flush to allow for access via the doors without obstruction.

11..jpg
The corridor walls were constructed from 2mm sheet styrene to attach to the Flight Control Tardis walls internally.
Externally they would match the design drawings and reference material, for shape and projection of the corridor into the Tardis interior.

12..jpg
Unfortunately, as 1 straw was not of sufficient length, all had to be extended prior to being fitted, hence the purty rainbow effect!

13..jpg
All the straws were individually glued into position, with the top and bottom glued into position on the flat, then being heat formed to achieve the correct curve prior to final gluing. Thus enabling correct positioning of the side wall ribbing.

14..jpg
The external corridor walls were completed and final shaped to match the profile of the surrounding structure as per the design drawings.
A Corridor Surround was fabricated from 12mm MDF which was clad internally and externally with 2mm styrene sheet to create a further raised frame.
The Tardis doors and the corridor ribbing were painted with acrylics.

15..jpg
Picture showing all the individual elements combined to form the Tardis Entrance.
The End of Landing doors were cut from 1mm Styrene sheet and backed with wire mesh to the individual panels.
Note; the top panel mesh in a different orientation to the bottom 2, not a mistake but to actually match to the original.
It’s all in the details, or so they say.

16..jpg
17..jpg
The Corridor Walkway Floor was constructed from a combination of 6mm ply and 2mm styrene sheet to achieve the correct levels to match to the existing Flight Control Tardis floor and enable the correct junction with the Main Console Floor.
The sides of the Walkway Floor could then be formed using 1mm styrene sheet.
All the elements were painted with acrylic paints.

18..jpg
A picture showing the internal details to be attached to the Flight Control Tardis doors, to make them more accurate and complete them.
The night latch and keep were fabricated using styrene sheet.
The 2 No. door bolts were fabricated using sheet plastic and garden wire.

19..jpg
Some more detailing for the Tardis, the original lantern was beaten and worn and required repainting.
The telephone and receiver were constructed from styrene sheet, plastic tubes and heavily modified Lego parts to achieve the desired look of an old telephone.
The telephone cable was left extra-long, to feed into the hollow of the door to enable proper functionality.

20..jpg
A printed inlay for the Corridor Surround was created using publisher and the reference material, to enable a something near accurate representation and was affixed.
All remaining detail parts were painted using acrylics.

21..jpg
Picture showing a test of the new Tardis entrance, dry fitted with a new internal light, to add interest and some partial illumination to the corridor.

Test video of the Tardis Entrance and new functional lighting.

So as far as stage 4 Tardis Entrance, Corridor + Walkway goes, that’s all for now folks!

0. Tardis Entrance.jpg

1..jpg

2..jpg

3..jpg

4..jpg

5..jpg

6..jpg

7..jpg

8..jpg

9..jpg

10..jpg

11..jpg

12..jpg

13..jpg

14..jpg

15..jpg

16..jpg

17..jpg

18..jpg

19..jpg

20..jpg

21..jpg

“Oh, now what's this then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.”
Unfortunately I am out of Crayons, but I have got a pencil though and a bit of time so the next thrilling instalment in this build thread, section 5.

A recap, using the very good reference material, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed with the attachment of the Tardis Entrance as per the original design drawings.
So now to put some meat on them bones.

Section 5;Main Console + Time Rotor.
0. Tardis Console.jpg
Basic plan view of the Main Console drawn up using publisher with elements resized,redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the separate elements will fit together to create the Main Console all surrounding the 1 element that I had from the start, a 60mm clear plastic packaging tube, I thought it might come in handy one day, little did I know just how handy.

1..jpg
After creating a printed console and checking it all fitted correctly, the actual pieces for the Main Console were cut from 2mm styrene sheet using this printed form as a template for the main cut-outs.

2..jpg
The cut-outs were cut from the 2mm styrene sheet basic shape to define the exact panel of the Main Console.
Again all of this was undertaken using the plethora of reference material to check position, size and scale relative to each panel.

3..jpg4..jpg5..jpg
6..jpg7..jpg8..jpg
The cut-outs were constructed to the correct aperture using 1mm and 2mm styrene sheet.
The framing was undertaken using 0.5mm and 2mm styrene sheet cut to the correct overall dimension for each relevant part of the panel.
Each panels detailing was then undertaken using a multitude of sourced parts from model supplies to Lego. Any parts that could not be adapted for size, function and scale were made from scratch using various styrene products. Again referring to all the reference material to try and ensure some resemblance of accuracy.
Brass and plastic tubes of 3mm,1.5mm and 1mm were drilled into the panels in the appropriate location to accommodate the fibre optic lighting to represent the various sized lights on each of the panels.
The fibre optics would be installed at a later date.

9..jpg
A picture showing the 6 No. completed panels with their appropriate accoutrement.
All of the controls function in some way, whether it is a knob, lever, wheel,slider, handle or other type of control.
All the controls were constructed and installed to move and/or function, though at this scale you might need either very small fingers (perfect for child only use, so not much chance of Dad playing with it then) or a pair of tweezers (Ha,Dad will be playing with it after all!).
This in order to try and fulfil the original instruction from my son that it had to have “moving parts and lights.”
So at least that was half of the request done!

10..jpg11..jpg12..jpg
The accoutrement were removed from each panel and stored to enable console construction to proceed without any hindrance or risk of damage.
The 6 No. blank panels were temporarily connected with tape to test for fit.
The Main Console top ring was constructed from 2mm styrene sheet and the fascia panels were marked using templates and hand sanded to shape.

13..jpg14..jpg15..jpg16..jpg
With the correct permanent fitment of the 6 No. panels, the edge framing was undertaken to each one using 2mm styrene sheet with all the joints marked and cut by hand.
Once this was completed the fascias were also fitted to match flush to the leading edge.
All joints were filled and lightly sanded to achieve a smooth finish.

17..jpg
Simple check using the design drawing for size.

18..jpg
With the completion of the top of the Main Console, the underside of the console was constructed in a similar fashion by firstly creating a cardboard mockup and then transferring this to 2mm styrene sheet.
The underside was constructed to slip inside of the top part of the console and retain separaton if required to replace the consoles internal LEDs, which were to be installed at a later time,if necessary in the future.
The base of the Time Rotor which retains not only the central column, but supports the Main Console as well, was constructed from 2 No. plastic lids of approprite size, which were both cut to accept the 60mm packaging tube. The bottom flange is a plumbing washer.
Upon this base 2mm styrene sheet was cut to create a hexagonal ring and support struts.
This had to be of sturdy construction, as it and the packaging tube will eventually be taking the strain of the Main Console as well as the completed top mounted Whirly Gig at a later stage.

19..jpg
This picture shows the top and bottom elements of the internal mechanism of the Time Rotor construction.
The circular elements were cut from 2mm and 1mm styrene sheet and drilled to receive the hollow tubes.
The hollow tubes, are to state the obvious, plastic biros with the ink cartridges removed.
Every element of the biro was used; the conical tops are the plastic tips cut down,sanded to shape and drilled in readiness for EL Wire, the rings to the base of the tubes are the biro lids, again cut down to create the base connection, the biro end stoppers were drilled out to receive EL Wire and were used on the base parts of the Time Rotor.
The red and purple centres were from a couple of used large felt tip pens; these again were cut, drilled, shaped and sanded to the desired overall shape.

20..jpg
The top of the packaging tube was cut to accept the Time Rotor construction tubes.
Temporary dry fit of all elements with the EL Wire roughly placed in position.

21..jpg
Temporary dry fit and test of the EL Wire.

22..jpg
A picture of the Monitor rig assembly.
The main support ring was another plastic lid, reinforced internally with 2mm styrene sheet cut to create an internal support ring.
The top edge of the lid received a 1mm strip, internaly and externally, which was set below the external ring of the lid to create a lip top and bottom.
The monitors were constructed from 1mm and 2mm layered and hand shaped styrene sheet, rectangular tubing, circular tubing, model supply washers and fine electrical cable.
The handles to each monitor were made using paperclips bent to shape.
The mechanics of the construction were as such as close to the real thing as I could make it.
This was to enable the completed monitors to clip onto the raised lip of the main support ring and so rotate around the ring, as do the real ones.
In other words, the monitors move as well.
Unfortunately there is no adjustment for the locking mechanisms to adjust the hieght/angle of the monitors.
So in this case it really does have to be, 1 size fits all!

Test video of the Time Rotor EL Wire.

So as far as stage 5 Main Console + Time Rotor goes, that’s all for now folks!

1..jpg

2..jpg

3..jpg

4..jpg

5..jpg

6..jpg

7..jpg

8..jpg

9..jpg

10..jpg

11..jpg

12..jpg

13..jpg

14..jpg

15..jpg

16..jpg

17..jpg

18..jpg

19..jpg

20..jpg

21..jpg

22..jpg

0. Tardis Console.jpg

“A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”
So getting straight to the point the next construction stage in this build thread, section 6.

A recap, the basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed with the attachment of the Tardis Entrance, the meat was starting to go on the bones by way of the construction of the Main Console and Time Rotor as per the original design drawings.
So now it was time to put a crown on top of that Time Rotor...
Section 6; Whirly Gig + Top Rotor Mount.

1..jpg
Basic reverse plan view of the Whirly Gig drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
This drawing shows how the 3 No. separate tiered Whirly Gig rings will combine as if looking up from the floor and all be in alignment.
This combined construction will terminate in the top collar mount, which again will transfer all the weight down the Time Rotor tube to the Main Console Floor.
At least that was the working theory with which to start, oh and by the way it had to move as well, rotate just a little!

2..jpg
Basic drawing showing the individual rings from which templates were made and used in the construction process.
These drawings were a good reference during the construction to ensure a good final fit.

3..jpg
Drawing showing the final element of the Time Rotor Mount or crown.
This would be the main element to transfer the combined weight of the completed Whirly Gig evenly down the Time Rotor tube.

4..jpg
Albeit the Top Rotor Mount had to be robust to take the above mentioned weight, it also had to be light weight to reduce the total weight of the Whirly Gig.
So what better medium to use than our friend, insulation foam.
The foam was cut to rough size and shape using the design drawing and then honed by sanding to the correct profile and overall shape. It was then coated with 4 No. coats of PVA to strengthen the foam and give some rigidity.
The ribs and ring were cut from 2mm styrene sheet.
This element would also be required to allow the EL Wire through to light the Time Rotor and Engine Compartment.
So later in the build, the central foam core was hollowed out and the 2 mm ring was drilled to allow the Time Rotor tube construction holding the EL Wire through into the correct position.

5..jpg
Check for fit and now Captain Jack has taken over the role of inspector. So he surveys the progress.

6..jpg
The design drawings were used to create the working construction templates.

7..jpg
The individual rings were constructed from 4 No. pieces of templated 2mm Sheet styrene.
These are the bottom of the tiered rings, the process was repeated to create the plain tops for each ring as well.

8..jpg
The bottom rings were drilled to create the light openings, which would be installed at a later date.
Alignment marks were drawn to provide construction reference.

9..jpg
The top and bottom rings for each tier where then sheathed using 0.5mm styrene sheet.
The ribbing was constructed using 1mm and 2mm, you guessed it, sheet styrene.
Again all of this was undertaken using the plethora of reference material to check position, size and overall scale relative to each tier, including the notch joint at the rib junction and overhang. Details, details, details!

10..jpg
The internal frame work of the rings was undertaken using plastic electrical conduit.
Hollow, light weight, easy to hide all those lighting cables in and retain access for installation as well.
Top and bottom support struts were cut from 2mm styrene sheet and installed to each ring in alignment with the outside ribbing to strengthen the structures.

11..jpg
Check for fit and the Top Mount Collar constructed from a plastic lid with a 2mm styrene sheet support collar.
The holes for the EL Wire tube construction of the Time Rotor were drilled through and into the foam core of the Top Mount.

12..jpg
Plan view to check alignment.

13..jpg
Side view showing the tier effect.

14..jpg
Picture showing the installation with the central spine to hold it all together, which was created using plastic overflow pipe.
This pipe would also house the cables from the Time Rotor EL Wires as it transitioned to its battery pack, as well as the inter tier transition cables for the lights of the Whirly Gig, both power supplies would be mounted in the top tier of the Whirly Gig with access, at a later date.

15..jpg
Plan view showing in more detail the hollowed out core of the foam Top Mount and tube/conduit access for all of the lighting cables.

16..jpg
All elements dry fitted to check for fitment and alignment.

17..jpg
A closer shot of the alignment on the Whirly Gig and Top Collar Mount detail.

18..jpg
The individual elements of the Whirly Gig were then painted using acrylics.

19..jpg
The light openings received frosted plastic to glaze them and render some diffusion for the lights.

20..jpg21..jpg
The LED string lights were then fitted to each tier of the Whirly Gig and the transfer cables were stored within the conduit frame construction for later connection.
Using some extremely good internet reference material the Whirly Gig symbols were resized for scale and fit, these were then printed, cut out and adhered to the sheathing of the Whirly Gig.

22..jpg
Side shot of the completed tiers with symbols.

Test video of the Whirly Gig lighting.

So as far as stage 6 Whirly Gig + Top Rotor Mount goes, that’s all for now folks!

“I'll tell you one thing. Being with you keeps a girl fit.
Fun to be with and good for you. Gotta be just what the doctor ordered.”

So in the vein hope that this is fun, it must be good for you, so let’s carry on, in this episode of “Doctor Who the next section”, see what I did there, a bit like Star Trek the Next Generation, except it’s Doctor Who and it’s small plastic bits and it’s not based in Hollywood, oh what the heck, here’s build thread section 7.

The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced by the construction of the Main Console, Time Rotor, Whirly Gig and the Top Mount, all as per the original design drawings.
So let’s add a bit more into the cooking pot...
Section 7; Side Consoles + Chairs.

0. Tardis Console Floor Main Console Side Consoles + Chairs.jpg
Basic plan view of the Main Console Floor with the positions of the stairs and Entrance marked. Showing the minimum width of chair to maximise the size of the Side Console, drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale with a small compromise on accuracy.
In order to achieve maximise Side Console size to accommodate all the controls, the small gap between the chairs seen on the original set had to be lost.

1. Tardis Side Consoles + Elements.jpg
Basic drawing showing the chairs, console construction, console legs and layout of the individual controls on the Side Consoles.
There is one slight difference between the consoles, which is accounted later for later in this thread.
Templates were made and used in the construction process.
These drawings were a good reference during the construction to ensure a good and correct final fit of all those controls, it was a bit busy to say the least, hence maximising the console size to more accurately space everything out and still enable functionality where applicable.
That means yes, yet again and in line with request made by my son, the Side Consoles “have moving parts” as well.

2..jpg
So using the templates, the Chairs were constructed from insulation foam, again, trying to keep the weight down.
The insulation foam was rough cut and hand sanded to the desired shape.
The insulation foam then received 4 No. coats of PVA to increase rigidity.
The ribs on the chairs were individually cut from 1.5mm cardboard sheet I already had in stock.
Once affixed to the insulation foam, all received another 2 No. coats of PVA to seal, protect and increase rigidity.

3..jpg
Picture showing the bird’s mouth detail to the bottom of the Chairs and the smooth curvature of the back.

4..jpg
Dry test fit to check for position in relation to the design drawing and elements.
Again, bloody Captain Jack was on the scene, I think he’s got his eye on this Tardis.
Survey over, the works progressed onto the next element.

5..jpg7..jpg
The Side Consoles were cut from 2mm styrene sheet as per the design drawings, with the backs left off to allow access to install the fibre optics required to illuminate the console controls and lights.
This would be installed at a later date and was pre-cut from 1 mm styrene sheet.
The Side Console legs sides were cut from 2 mm styrene sheet, the front and rear components were cut from 0.5 mm sheet styrene to enable a smooth curve, which matches the chairs.
These were constructed hollow to enable the installation of the required LEDs from the Main Console Floor underside tubing referred to earlier in the build thread. The LEDs and fibre optics would join inside the legs themselves, meaning that the installation of the fibre optics and LEDs could be undertaken separately at a later date.

8..jpg
Dry test fit of the Side Consoles and Chairs to check for spacing.

9..jpg
He’s at it again; no sooner is something built than Captain Jack turns up to check it out!

10..jpg
Captain Jack checking out the overall layout and heights, has he got nothing better to do!

11..jpg
Customer satisfaction achieved, it was back to the model making of all the parts for the 2 No. Side Consoles as per the design drawings.
Shown here are 2 of the controls that were hand made from styrene sheet, brass and plastic tubing.
As there were only 2 No. of each it wasn’t worth molding and casting, the central controls were constructed to rotate.

12..jpg
Picture showing the various other controls and switches that were constructed from the usual suspects, except for the one control shown far left bottom, which was constructed by cutting and affixing 2 No. Allen key bits to achieve the desired result.
This time, as there is a lot of repetition on the consoles, it was worth molding and casting the individual controls.

13..jpg
Molding and casting some of the parts for the Side Console controls as well as other knobs and minutia for other parts of the project.

14..jpg
Close up of the cast resin various bits and pieces for the project

15..jpg
Dry fit of the controls in relation to the design drawing.
The black crosses indicate where lights were to be installed, again as per the drawing.

16..jpg
The holes for the various sized lights were drilled out of the Side Consoles as well as creating slots for further lighting access.
This further lighting access is what the small cast rectangles are for. What exactly the 1mm and 2 mm brass tubing that was all cut by hand, is actually for , will become more apparent in the next couple of pictures.

17..jpg
Et voilà, the resin cast pieces are the bases of the switches on the Side Consoles.
The brass tubes are to create the raised flick switches and sunken light tubes for the fibre optics to travel through.
The pound coin is just for size reference.

18..jpg
Test fit of the completed pieces into the pre-cut slots, again checking position and fit.

19..jpg20..jpg
21..jpg22..jpg
Dry fit of the remaining Side Console controls with the necessary brass tube to contain the fibre optics for the remaining lights.
And to address the 1 slight difference between the consoles, if you look really closely at the plan view picture of the dry fit test above, you will see 3 No. round protruding knobs to the right hand side of the consoles, 1 side has a round bottom flange, the other side has square bottom flanges, it is more apparent when they are painted. Big deal huh, but details are the key!

So as far as stage 7 Side Consoles + Chairs goes, that’s all for now folks!

Last edited:
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”
So planning on pretending to hold tight, I mean carrying on with the plan, here is build thread section 8.

The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced by the construction of the Main Console, Time Rotor, Whirly Gig, Top Mount, Side Consoles and Chairs all as per the original design drawings.
So maybe now would be a good idea to make light of the situation...
Section 8; Landing Light Boxes + Roundels.

0. Landing Light Box.jpg
Basic drawing of the Landing Light Boxes drawn up using publisher with elements resized, redrawn for scale and accuracy.
The details to the right of the drawing were for information purposes, as these lights were to be made especially for the Tardis by others. These would be installed at a later date.

1. Roundel Elements.jpg
Picture showing the combined and separate elements that constituted the Tardis Roundels.
The details of the layering and construction was heavily considered using the abundance of reference material.
A clever piece of design work by the BBC, which incorporated the middle ring of the new Daleks.
So what do you know, the Daleks did actually make it into the Tardis after all.

2..jpg
The basic shapes were cut from 1 mm styrene sheet.
The light cut outs were done by hand and framed using 0.5 mm styrene strips.
The 1mm brass tubes were cut, drilled through and affixed to create the frame fixings externally and hold the glazing in place internally.

3..jpg
The basic structure was added to internally with 2 mm styrene sheet to give some structural support, as a top and bottom would be constructed from 2 mm styrene sheet to encapsulate the box and the end supports would enable fixing of the boxes to the structural frames of the Tardis upon completion.

4..jpg
Like a bad penny, he’s back to check on what’s going on.
Check for size, fit and scale.

5..jpg
Test fit of the remaining light boxes.
Including the different Light Box which only has 2 No. openings and 4 No. lights to the end of line which encompasses the Landing door.

6..jpg
Satisfied with the fit, the Landing Light Boxes were edge framed using 2 mm styrene sheet and painted using acrylics with texture to add interest.
Once completed the glazing was added using frosted plastic to diffuse the lighting.

7..jpg
As has already been seen in the pictures above, the Landing and Basement doors were constructed using insulation foam, garden weed control fabric for texture, 1 mm and 2mm sheet styrene as per the design drawings with elements resized, for scale and accuracy.

8..jpg
The new lighting had arrived shortly before completion of the boxes, so I could not resist a quick test; see the video below for the full test images.
Looks like Captain Jack is bowled over with the new lights, I know I was, or maybe he’s just looking at them from a different perspective!

9..jpg
Picture showing the individual Roundel element templates and corresponding rough cut sheet styrene.

9A..jpg
Picture showing the fret work rough cut by hand using 0.5 mm styrene sheet which would become the topper for the 3 No. gold elements of the Roundels.

10..jpg11..jpg12..jpg
Using the rough cut pieces shown above and having considered the layer/construction, a rough mock-up Roundel was constructed.
This was all cut, filed and finished by hand using 0.5 mm, 1 mm, 2 mm sheet styrene and a couple of odd bits of plastic, cut and shaped to the desired shape for the central area.
The construction allowed for a void space for light dissipation from the EL Discs which would be placed to the rear of the Roundel to achieve the blue glow to the perimeter at a later date.
A LED would be placed in the central location, also later, to illuminate the center of the Roundel with its distinctive orange tang.

13..jpg
In order to achieve the central light, the EL Discs had to be drilled to accommodate the LED.
This involved quite some fettling to clear the central area of connection points to the rear of the EL Discs and carefully drilling of the disc to accept the LED to pass through.

14..jpg
Test of the adapted and drilled EL Discs.
Even though extreme care was taken with this element, some damage occurred when drilling through.
Nonetheless, the light was required to the perimeter, not the centre, so no major catastrophe.

15..jpg
A closer, clearer shot of the Roundel mock-up which had been later further adapted during the construction.

16..jpg
Once satisfied with the mock-up, it was further finished in readiness for moulding.
The pieces were separated and moulded individually to enable painting of each element at a later date.

17..jpg
2 piece and 1 piece silicone moulds were poured for the required elements.

18..jpg
Moulding completed, the resin casting could commence of the various parts of the Roundels and other project items at the same time.

19..jpg
Closer shot of the various cast elements.
12 No. complete roundels had to be cast from the 3 No. individual sections that constituted 1 No. Roundel.

20..jpg
A close up shot of the assembled and completed Roundel with the rear EL Disc roughly in place for test.

21..jpg
I couldn’t resist putting 1 clearer picture on this section of the completed Roundels in position, which is elaborated on in a later build thread section. This picture was taken in broad daylight, so they look even better as it gets darker.

Test video of the Landing Light Boxes lights, which came with a remote control to change the varying functions.

So as far as stage 8 Landing Light Boxes + Roundels goes, that’s all for now folks!

All of time and space, everything that ever happened or ever will - where do you want to start?
With that in mind, how about we just start at the beginning and see where it takes us, here is build thread section 9.
The basic skeleton of the Tardis was completed, the fleshing out stages had commenced and some more light had been shed on the subject, all as per the design drawings.
So how about we start wrapping it up by adding some more light on the situation and doing a spot of home decorating...
Section 9; Lighting + Painting Part 1.

The “At a later date” I have referred to in these build threads was fast approaching its zenith.
So trying to cover the second part of the initial request that the Tardis have “moving parts and lights
It was time to start the installation of the various lighting that will bring the Tardis to life.
As stated at the start of this thread another part of the request from my son was that the Tardis be mobile ”So I can take it to Grandma’s”, so this dictated that battery packs be used to achieve the lighting.

The main Tardis areas to be lit totalled 9, with 5 sub-areas all being powered by 8 separate battery packs and 3 different types of lighting.
Quite a tall order to light all this, hide it all within the Tardis and store the battery packs as well.
To create a semi lightweight, self-contained mobile item.

The areas to be lit were;
Tardis Entrance; Lantern + Corridor
Main Console; 3 No. Panel screens, Lights on 4 No. panels
Time Rotor; Light tubes
Whirly Gig; Down lighters
Engine Compartment; Light tubes + White glow
Side Consoles; Lights on 2 No. panels
Landing; Light Boxes, Roundel perimeter glow + Roundel central light
Dais; Lighting tubes + Basement green glow
Backdrop; Stars

1..jpg
The Main Console was to be illuminated to not only achieve lighting to all the various sized lights on the panels, but also the panel screens as well.
The lighting to the panels were to be lit using 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand.
Installation into the pre-positioned brass and plastic tubes commenced, getting all the fibre optic strands into the console was going to be a tight fit especially as the central area had the Time Rotor running through it as well.

2..jpg
The fibre optic cable was to have 2 No. LED lighting sources.
These were 1 No. 10mm white and 1 No. 10 mm colour changing LED. This enabled me to light the panel lights from 2 sources, so some of the lights would be a static colour and some could flash/change colour.
With some fore-thought as to the position of these light sources and accessibility to the battery pack/switch, I would be able to light the panel screens and specifically make 1 change colour.

3..jpg
The fibre optics were installed and left long for trimming after painting.

Test Video of Initial Fibre Optic Lighting installation.

5..jpg
The Main Console was then airbrushed aluminium and lightly weathered.

6..jpg
A closer shot showing some of the light detail weathering.

7..jpg
The Main Console elements and framing where then painted using acrylics.
The panel screens had clear plastic affixed to emulate glazing, the panel screens were printed and affixed.
Relying heavily on the reference material again, the individual lights on all the panels were hand painted using glass paint to the appropriate colour.
Some artistic license was allowed, as some of the lights had been lit from the colour changing LED and therefore would change colour, unlike the original, but it made the panel lights just a little more interesting.

Test Video of the installed coloured Fibre Optic Lighting.

9..jpg
The Basement light tubes were constructed from internet sourced plastic tubing which was painted with acrylics to the correct colours with a central light tube.
The central light tube was installed using animated EL Wire.
Again this was undertaken to add a little interest as the original lighting is static.

Test Video of the Basement lighting tubes.

11..jpg
With the Basement light tubes fitted, the Basement door was installed and the bottom walls were printed and affixed.

12..jpg
The Side Console lighting was again to be achieved with 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand.
Temporary fibre optic strand was placed into the consoles and switches in readiness for painting.

13..jpg
The various elements/controls of the Tardis were then airbrushed the appropriate colour.

14..jpg
15..jpg
The airbrushed controls were then given a light weathering/distressing and any necessary dials/indicators were affixed. All were then affixed to the Main Console and a lighting test undertaken.

16..jpg
17..jpg
A few close up shots of the individual Tardis Main Console panels completed.

18..jpg
With the Side Consoles and controls airbrushed, both were given a light weathering/distressing and any necessary dials/indicators were affixed, the various control elements were then affixed to the Side Consoles panels.
The 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand was then installed to the pre-positioned brass and plastic tubes.

19..jpg
No, don’t adjust your sets; the Tardis is on its side for a reason.
This picture shows the painted Main Console Floor edging installed and the necessary positioning of the Tardis for the EL Wire installation.
In order to achieve the Time Rotor and Engine Compartment lighting the EL Wire had to be threaded down through the various elements.
The route started from the Top Mount central tube, through the actual Time Rotor construction, through the Main Console Floor, into the Engine Compartment construction, back on itself to return up to the base of the Main Console to achieve the double tubing and terminate inside the Time Rotor column hidden at a point inside the console.
Gone fishing kept on playing in my head whilst undertaking this task, can’t think why.

20..jpg
As previously shown, the Whirly Gig lighting had been installed to each of the individual rings.
It was now installed onto the Top Mount with the connection wires between the individual rings feeding into and out of the Top Mount Central tube as a means of transition, in order to connect each of the rings to each other inside the conduit and then onwards to its own battery pack hidden inside the top ring as shown in the picture to the right.
Even with all this connecting wiring the individual rings of the Whirly Gig still manage to rotate approximately 100°.
Both the EL Wire battery pack and the Whirly Gig battery pack were installed in the Whirly Gig top ring and were attached to the framing conduit with small magnets.
Access to these battery packs is achieved by a hinged opening lid to the top ring of the Whirly Gig.

21..jpg
A picture showing a quick test of the Time Rotor lighting.
It also shows the installation of the Side Console LEDs to positon.
One cable from the battery pack at the rear centre of the Tardis was installed under the Basement Floor to the Engine Compartment.
This lighting was used to light the Engine Compartment with 3 No. LEDs, before continuing onto the perimeter of the Main Console Floor to provide 4 No. light sources for the Side Consoles.
As stated before, the cables from the Engine Compartment to the Main Console Floor perimeter were hidden in the underside tubing of the Main Console Floor.

22..jpg
A close-up shot of the Time Rotor, Main Console Floor and Engine Compartment.

23..jpg
24..jpg
Pictures showing the assembled Main Console, Time Rotor, Side Consoles and Chairs.

So as far as stage 9 Lighting + Painting Part 1 goes, that’s all for now folks!

“Did you say something cruel to the TARDIS while I was getting changed?'
'No! Of course not!'
'Did you call her fat?'
'What?'
'Because she's not fat. She's just bigger on the inside.”

So if it’s personality that counts, let’s see if we can give the old girl a little something extra, here is build thread section 10.
The basic skeleton of the Tardis was finished, the fleshing out stages had commenced, some light had been shed on the subject and a spot of home decorating had been started, all as per the design drawings.
So to give the old girl a bit of personality, we’ll have to handle her with care...
Section 10; Handrails + Balustrading.

The Handrails on the Tardis were a task that called for delicacy and tact, so I was stuffed!
They were formed from 6 mm copper tubing, frequently used in plumbing, having used this product before on another project, it made perfect sense to utilise it for the purpose of making the Tardis Handrails.
It’s lightweight, malleable and given the right support, performs admirably.

1..jpg
The Handrails were all shaped from the 6 mm copper tubing by hand.
This involved forming them around different sized PVC pipe to achieve the correct bend/angle/gradient.
Temporary supports of 2 mm styrene would also indicate the correct Handrail height.

2..jpg3..jpg4..jpg
There were some interesting parts to shape…

5..jpg
And there were some very interesting parts to shape…

6..jpg7..jpg
One things for sure, there was an awful lot of it and an awful lot of bending going on.

8..jpg
The Balusters were cut from 1 mm styrene sheet, heat formed over a PVC pipe to give the correct curvatures, by hand.

9..jpg
The copper Handrails were affixed at base points by drilling into the Basement Floor to insert a metal rod, over which a plastic sleeve would slip of the correct diameter to fit inside the copper tubing.

10..jpg
Fixing points for the copper Handrails into the insulation foam chairs was undertaken in a similar manner. When fixing into the staircases, steps or 6 mm ply landing floor, a small pin temporarily held the Baluster in place.

11..jpg
At the junction of the copper Handrail and Baluster, a notch was cut into the copper into which the Baluster could snuggly fit.

12..jpg
Again on the landing where support was required, a metal rod was drilled into the MDF Tardis support and a reciprocating hole drilled into the copper in the correct position.

13..jpg14..jpg
In one instance, because of a slight alteration in the overall design, the lack of one step into the Basement area, as described earlier in the build thread, some artistic license and ingenuity was called upon.
In other words 2 No. of the Balusters were in the wrong place and intersected with each other.
The artistic license and ingenuity was to intertwine them to make them fit!

15..jpg
The Entrance Corridor Walkway Handrail junction was again fixed using the rod and sleeve method, drilled into the styrene frame.

16..jpg
All was continued until, finally, finished!

17..jpg
At this point the Handrails and Balusters were removed for painting.

18..jpg
The 35 No. Balusters were painted with acrylic paints, on both sides.
The Handrails were also painted with acrylics at this time.

19..jpg
Once completed, the Handrails and Balusters were reinstated to their original position and permanently fixed.
Temporary support was left in place until dry.

20..jpg21..jpg22..jpg
23..jpg24..jpg
A few beauty shots of the completed Handrails and Balusters.

So as far as stage 10 Handrails + Balustrading goes, that’s all for now folks!

“This is one corner… of one country, in one continent, on one planet that’s a corner of a galaxy that’s a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and destroying and never remaining the same for a single millisecond. And there is so much, so much to see.”
One build thread left of one model Tardis Interior for one little boy, so let’s see what we can do to wrap this thang and see how much there is to see!
Here is the final part of this build thread section 11.
The basic skeleton of the Tardis was done, the majority of the fleshing out was done, quite a bit of light had been shed on the subject, the old girls personality injection had been done and some home decorating had been started.
So how about we start tying up this project and do the final bit of illuminating home decorating...

Section 11; Lighting + Painting Part 2.
The light areas still requiring completion;
Landing; Light Boxes, Roundel perimeter glow + Roundel central light
Dais; Basement green glow
Backdrop; Stars

25. Tardis Landing Lighting Plan.jpg
Basic plan view of the Tardis with the positions of the remaining lighting.

26..jpg
Picture showing the completed Roundels with the foil backing attached to reflect the EL Discs light to the perimeter to achieve the blue glow.

27..jpg
The EL discs were attached to 1 mm styrene sheet for easy fixing of the EL Discs and the Roundels to the correct position.

28..jpg
Quick test of half the required EL Discs.

29..jpg
EL Disc and Roundel fixing strips affixed to correct position on the Tardis Structure.

30..jpg
The string LEDs that will form the lighting for 12 No. Roundel Orange centres, 6 No. Basement Green glow background lights and 1 No. Warm White Main Centre light.
All of these were painted with glass paint to achieve the correct colour and light intensity.
The Main Centre light will act as the constant light source for some of the Stars to the Tardis Backers.

32..jpg31..jpg
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

33..jpg
With the cable management completed, The Ugly could be addressed with the installation of the Tardis cardboard Backers.
All were dry fitted to achieve a good fit.

34..jpg
These Backers then received 0.5 mm and 1 mm fibre optic strand to create the required Stars.
Some of the fibre optic strand was run to the constant Main Centre Warm White light, with the remainder being run up to the flashing Landing lighting Bright White LEDs on each panel to create the random blinking Stars.

35..jpg
The installed fibre optic strands were left protruding in length in readiness for painting.

36..jpg
Picture showing the completed fibre optic installation to create static and flashing Stars to the Tardis Backers.
That was a lot of Stars to install individually and randomly, I have blinking had enough, Ha Ha!

37..jpg38..jpg
The cardboard Backers were painted with acrylics to achieve a spacescape, the fibre optic Stars were trimmed upon completion of the painting.

39..jpg
The lit spacescape.

Test Video of the Tardis Backers Stars.

41..jpg42..jpg43..jpg
Pictures of the completed Landing Lighting.

44..jpg45..jpg46..jpg47..jpg
A few close up shots of the completed Tardis Lighting.

Short Video of the completed Tardis .

So with the completion of the final elements, this Tardis was finished.
To review, the original request from my son was to have;
My very own Tardis”; Check
With “Moving parts and lights”; Check
Light weight and mobile “So I can take it to Grandma’s”; Check
And of course “It has to look like the real thing”; Check, hopefully!
So quick, turn off the oven, coz this bird’s done!

So as far as stage 11 Lighting + Painting Part 2 and this build thread goes, it’s a wrap!

For further Pictures and Videos of the completed Tardis in detail, go to this thread Matt Smith Tardis http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=276113

“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
So I hope you enjoyed this one!

This is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!! Thank you for this thread; I'll have to save it to my personal archive. :)

Thank you so much for your comment, it really means a lot, I am very pleased that you think that it is absolutely amazing.
You are more than welcome for the thread, after looking at all the fantastic work on here, it was the least I could do to "pay it back" when a build thread request was made, I hope you enjoyed the story.
And you know what they say, if we displease you, tell us, if we please you, tell others.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back