P.I.P. Boy 1890

Shipbrook

When Nikola Tesla began constructing his "World System" to wirelessly transmit power to the entire planet, his rival Thomas Edison warned that it would result in no less grisly a result than the death by electrocution of all life on Earth. Not content with merely doomsaying, Edison built a network of great underground Vaults, and sold berths to any who took his prediction seriously. On the day the World System was to be activated, the Vaults were sealed; shortly after the fateful hour, the inhabitants of each Vault were informed via telegraph that Edison had indeed been prescient (the dispatch further added, in order to forestall the possibility of any scurrilous rumors to the contrary, that the disaster was entirely the fault of Tesla's incompetence, rather than any sabotage upon Edison's part). Since that time the Vault dwellers have lived a subterranean existence, waiting for the day it is safe to once again return to the surface.

To monitor their well-being, the Personal Indicator of Prosperity ("P.I.P. Boy") is issued to every resident:

P1070533.jpg20170424_225557.jpg20170424_225627.jpg20170424_225724.jpg20170424_230152.jpg20170424_230210.jpg

Fiction aside, I made this for a steampunk convention coming up this weekend, along with a Vault Dweller suit modeled upon late 19th-century workwear.

The body, nameplate, and gauge needles are 3D printed; the gauge covers were appropriated from various dollar-store items, and the mini valve handles were purchased from a craft store. It's latched by five pairs of neodymium magnets, which hopefully will suffice to keep it closed firmly.

Haha this is super neat man well done! I love seeing pip-boy variants and this is definitely one of the more creative designs. In the future maybe you could add some electronics on it that would light up a few small vacuum tubes or nixie bulbs. A little tank on the back labeled 'moustache wax' would be priceless haha.
One again well done though!

Haha this is super neat man well done! I love seeing pip-boy variants and this is definitely one of the more creative designs. In the future maybe you could add some electronics

Thanks!

As a matter of fact, I did originally incorporate some minor electronics into it. The central gauge cover was from an LED push light; I added some wires between the LEDs and the circuit board, and used them to light up the gauges.

Unfortunately, while it fit just fine over my bare arm, there wasn't quite enough space for both the battery pack and a sleeve, and it popped open twice just from moving my arm too fast (and it bounced off the floor both times). I figured a third time would probably break it (PLA is far from shatterproof), so I reluctantly removed the lighting. If I hadn't epoxied the circuit board onto the battery pack, I'd have tried switching to coin batteries... but I won't have time to hit up the dollar store again for another push light until after the con.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back