Moebius 1:350 USS Franklin from Star Trek Announced

It's in development.
I know. Doesn't mean it was a good choice to do this ship first. I assume the licencor required a "latest Movie Ship" and The Franklin was low hanging fruit from a production standpoint. I believe the Kelvin would move more units than this,but that is pure speculation. I'm a huge Trekker from way back and I am not buying this kit, (if I was 15 I'd be at my hobby shop asking when it arrives) simply doesn't appeal to me enough. Hopefully there are plenty who do so Moebius continues making Star Trek kits. There are so many good kits being made, I cant buy them all!

I know. Doesn't mean it was a good choice to do this ship first. I assume the licencor required a "latest Movie Ship" and The Franklin was low hanging fruit from a production standpoint. I believe the Kelvin would move more units than this,but that is pure speculation. I'm a huge Trekker from way back and I am not buying this kit, (if I was 15 I'd be at my hobby shop asking when it arrives) simply doesn't appeal to me enough. Hopefully there are plenty who do so Moebius continues making Star Trek kits. There are so many good kits being made, I cant buy them all!

I agree the Kelvin would have been a better choice for their first kit. It almost certainly will move more units. Lots of people love the Kelvin. Reaction to the Franklin is pretty mixed. Some love it, some hate it.

But the Kelvin is close to 10 years old. this shows that Moebius is making "current" movie kits.

then it can go backwards and make the Kelvin

I'm hoping this kit sells so well that Moebius will consider producing a 1/1000 scale version. I like the design, but I don't have the space for a kit that size. :D

I like the design, but I don't have the space for a kit that size. :D

According to most sources this kit is only 15.5" long, or less than the width of a typical computer keyboard. At 1/1,000 scale, it would be about 5.5" inches long. That's unlikely to be produced.

Unrelated, but it seems the box art is by none other than John Eaves! I'm now excited for this kit in more ways than one.

According to most sources this kit is only 15.5" long, or less than the width of a typical computer keyboard. At 1/1,000 scale, it would be about 5.5" inches long. That's unlikely to be produced.
When you live in a small house a kit that's "only" 15.5" long and 9.6" wide takes up quite a bit of shelf space, so a 5.5" version would suit me just fine. I'm not really expecting to ever see one, I'm just saying that would be my preference.

When you live in a small house a kit that's "only" 15.5" long and 9.6" wide takes up quite a bit of shelf space, so a 5.5" version would suit me just fine. I'm not really expecting to ever see one, I'm just saying that would be my preference.

Have you looked at the Eaglemoss one. just under 8 inches long, and probably cheaper than this one.

I'm hoping this kit sells so well that Moebius will consider producing a 1/1000 scale version. I like the design, but I don't have the space for a kit that size. :D
I'm a bit surprised at how small it is for a 350 scale kit.

The NX-01 in 350 scale dwarfs this one. I also have the NX-01 in 1000 scale and it is a little over 8" long. If the Franklin was in 1000 scale it would look like a MicroMachine.

Have you looked at the Eaglemoss one. just under 8 inches long, and probably cheaper than this one.
I have now. :D Nice, a little less expensive than the Moebius Model, and at roughly half the size would be more practical for me. But I really prefer to build 'em myself; taking it out of the box and putting it on the shelf isn't nearly as much fun. ;) I appreciate the suggestion, and thank you most sincerely!

I just got a shipping notice this afternoon from Monsters in Motion. These kits are out there now. I should have mine by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Some of you may start getting your Franklin model kits soon.
The bussards are hard to make out in the film so I made this animation to show you what is going on inside. The fans are counter rotating. There are 3 fans inside the bussard. One at the front, that does not move at all. It's pressed up against the dome glass. Then there are another two that counter rotate behind it. The light inside the bussard is cast by 3 concentric rings of orange. This piece is included in the kit as a clear piece and has to be painted black (except for the rings) to get the concentric rings. In this animation I have removed the bussard dome and first immoblie fan so that you can better see what's going on.

[video=vimeo;259571271]https://vimeo.com/259571271/e43b013c1b[/video]

https://vimeo.com/259571271/e43b013c1b

Last edited by a moderator:
This arrived in the mail. I'm working on an unboxing video. Look for that tonight or tomorrow.

As far as first impressions just looking at the instructions, decals, and parts, this kit is superb. Not quite Bandai Star Wars quality, but pretty damn close. The detail is very crisp, even small details are captured very well, and every thing looks very accurate to the film.

1uBiina.jpg

Last edited:
I have finished an unboxing video of this brand new kit. If you have two minutes, check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back