Moebius 1:350 USS Franklin from Star Trek Announced

I am a bit disappointed in the choice for the first release. The very first ship seen on screen in the reboot would have sold much better than this will (in my opinion). I worry that these wont be a "hit" and therefore ruin it out of the gate for future releases.

I am a bit disappointed in the choice for the first release. The very first ship seen on screen in the reboot would have sold much better than this will (in my opinion). I worry that these wont be a "hit" and therefore ruin it out of the gate for future releases.

Yep. The Kelvin is quite popular, even among those who don't like NuTrek. It's a beautiful design.

Still, I like the Franklin too. Glad to hear SOMETHING about it. I just wish they had also included a test shot or a time table of release, at least. I'm exicted for Moebius' Trek line.

I would have been happy with either the Kelvin or Franklin. The two other planned kits- the NuE (no idea which version) and the 'Jellyfish' don't do much for me.
The Enterprise kit might be a rebox of the Revell-Germany kit (R-G has sold reboxed Moebius Galactica kits before), or it might be another version of the ship which they could share with R-G,,,
I am looking froward to their Kelvin kit as well- I do hope sales are good to continue this line through as anticipated.

Dont, get me wrong I am excited to see a new company take a stab, it just worries me that they wont sell enough to make it worth it for them to make a large Kelvin or JJ prise , but I will remain hopeful...
Yep. The Kelvin is quite popular, even among those who don't like NuTrek. It's a beautiful design.

Still, I like the Franklin too. Glad to hear SOMETHING about it. I just wish they had also included a test shot or a time table of release, at least. I'm exicted for Moebius' Trek line.

It's interesting that this is 1:350. Will the Kelvin and JJprise be in the same scale? If so, those models are going to be HUGE! If not, then we're looking at a hodge-podge of scales for the line and that's not really a thrill.

I know, right? That's assuming CBS/Bad Robot/Paramount/JJ's Mom could ever really decide on a true scale for the ship. 2 feet... 6.8 feet... 10.9 feet... could be anything depending on the time of day and quality of Les Moonves' morning bowel movement.

There is no debate about the size of the Enterprise except among fans who just don't personally want it to be that big. It's 2,380 ft long and has been since 2009.

There is no debate about the size of the Enterprise except among fans who just don't personally want it to be that big. It's 2,380 ft long and has been since 2009.

I have no dog in the hunt -- it's a fantasy movie, I can roll with it -- but isn't the size of the bridge based on the window and the size of the shuttle bay still a source of dispute? Again, I personally don't care, but don't shots from the movies contradict whatever "official" numbers are out there? Based on the size of the bridge window, for example, the shuttle that passes in front of it during Kirk's arrival is a tad small.
stid-t5-19.jpg
star-trek11-movie-screencaps.com-4475.jpg

Love the fact that they are going with 1/350 scale. Unfortunately, I have no interest in the Franklin. A Kelvin would have been in an instant pre-order, though.

A 1/350 scale Voyager would be as well.

I have no dog in the hunt -- it's a fantasy movie, I can roll with it -- but isn't the size of the bridge based on the window and the size of the shuttle bay still a source of dispute? Again, I personally don't care, but don't shots from the movies contradict whatever "official" numbers are out there? Based on the size of the bridge window, for example, the shuttle that passes in front of it during Kirk's arrival is a tad small.

View attachment 724199
View attachment 724201

If window size is an example of scale, Excelsior would have been 2000ft long.......and don't forget, old Trek had numerous issues, discrepancies and mistakes with scale.....

Rich

If window size is an example of scale, Excelsior would have been 2000ft long.......and don't forget, old Trek had numerous issues, discrepancies and mistakes with scale.....

Rich

You'll get no argument from me about discrepancies. "Cheats" are an everyday occurrence in film and TV production. I only bring it up because Moebius has chosen to start it's NuTrek line at 1:350 scale knowing (based on "official" numbers) that a 1:350 JJprise or Kelvin simply isn't practical. As DanielB pointed out, the JJprise model would be 6-feet long. It just seems like an odd choice. The Franklin is a vessel seen once in an under-performing and (IMHO) kind of meh recent Trek film. As a subject, it likely has limited appeal. It's not a series "signature" ship, like the NX-01 or Voyager, and we aren't likely to see it on screen again. A fan favorite it ain't. Maybe Moebius figures they can sell a few more kits based on it being the first of their new line out of the gate -- the novelty of it, I guess. I would think it makes more sense to start with the JJprise at a reasonable size, maybe slightly larger than the current Revell kit, and then release a Franklin in the same scale that would be closer in actual size to the 1:1000 Polar Lights Trek kits. I know I'd be more likely to buy a smaller Franklin at, say, $30, that was in a consistent scale than I would buying a larger kit at $60-70 of a subject I'm only mildly interested in.

The nuTrek kits will be in established scales--I see no problem in making the Franklin a decent sized model. And the Kelvin (and in fact EVERY ship you see in the three nuTrek movies except for the Enterprise) is also a "one-shot" subject. I think you will see Moebius putting Trek kits out at a much greater rate than R2. With the Enterprise, it's not clear yet what that will look like in a fourth movie if there even is a fourth movie, so there's a question of which version to put out--we've literally seen a different Enterprise design in every nuTrek movie, so it's not like there's an established look (and there's already a model of the original JJprise available). I say be patient, I think we'll get some interesting kits out of this line.

And the Kelvin (and in fact EVERY ship you see in the three nuTrek movies except for the Enterprise) is also a "one-shot" subject.

Very true. Perhaps its because the Kelvin was involved in more momentous events -- Kirk's birth, his father's death, the creation of the new timeline -- that it seems more of a fan favorite than the Franklin.

I will say that I appreciate Moebius taking the chance to make "one-shot" subjects. Even when they mine for subjects that seem questionable to me (the Derelict??) that's still better than other companies that just can't be bothered making far more significant ships. 40 years later and I still don't have a flippin' Blackade Runner! :cry

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back