renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was lucky enough to win one of the rare MACO scanners back in the good old IAW auctions.
I've been using a digital calipers and using exact mm measurements I made a 3D model which I had parts printed up for quite some time ago but it's taken a while to get back to this as I've been busy on a couple of commissions.

I've split some of the parts up from the model to make clean up a lot easier and to make this a good kit to put together.
Just a quick picture to whet your appetites!

I've had a couple of laser cut acrylic pieces done to allow me to back light the graphic and make this a hero prop, with battery access in the back the same as the original prop.

MACO Scanner by JamieThomas28, on Flickr

No love for the MACO scanner?! :confused

I don't think a lot of people watched Enterprise and may not be sure of what a MACO is. I just finished watching the series for the first time. I really liked the show and especially loved the tech.

There were some very cool props, like the scanner you are working on, the phasers, etc...

I wish there was more respect for the show among the fans.

I don't think a lot of people watched Enterprise and may not be sure of what a MACO is. I just finished watching the series for the first time. I really liked the show and especially loved the tech.

There were some very cool props, like the scanner you are working on, the phasers, etc...

I wish there was more respect for the show among the fans.

I couldnt agree more. From the pilot right through to the divisive finale, Enterprise took us through the emotional spectrum and delivered an incredibly strong series with great characters, amazing effects and props and the composers were let off the reigns a little and we had some great music. Notable examples being Civilization, The Catwalk, Regeneration, Fortunate Son, Silent Enemy, Azati Prime, Zero Hour.

Shame that Enterprise never got another season; they were supposed to refit the ship and add an engineering hull;

PLG10011.jpg

I just wanted to chime in that I think it's great that you're doing this. I love replicas in general, but seeing someone take precise measurements off the real thing is great to see. Big Enterprise fan too.

Love it, I started building a Maco scanner from styrene sheets and a pepakura model i made, but i never finished it.

Yeah, Enterprise was a pretty good show.

Enterprise is a very underappreciated series, I'm thankful we have 4 seasons to re-watch on Bluray, speaking of which the season 2 cast reunion with Brannon Braga and Jeff Combs is AMAZING. The season 4 Bluray with the core writers is also a fantastic bonus feature.

- - - Updated - - -

I just wanted to chime in that I think it's great that you're doing this. I love replicas in general, but seeing someone take precise measurements off the real thing is great to see. Big Enterprise fan too.

Thank you for your kind words!
Enterprise is a fantastic series and features a wealth of cool props, of which I've either made or am working on.

- - - Updated - - -

Love it, I started building a Maco scanner from styrene sheets and a pepakura model i made, but i never finished it.

I know the feeling, I have a LOT of Star Trek and Marvel props in various stages of completeness!
Good luck with your build.

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool prop. I'm also one of the minority that enjoyed Enterprise, and wished for another season. I liked to addition of the MACO.

I completely agree!

- - - Updated - - -

Shame that Enterprise never got another season; they were supposed to refit the ship and add an engineering hull;

View attachment 725841

I'm with you 100%, ENT was cut way too short and could have gone for the full 7 seasons

I have the 1/1000 kit of that refit to build... who knows when I will get around to it though!

looks really great. I'm on this forum just because of the props you make.

Thank you Siobhan, that is so kind of you to say. I hope I can live up to your high praise.

I'm hoping to get the LED backlighting and screen graphic sorted in the next week or two.

The Enterprise Hand Scanner is almost ready to go too.
I have a couple of parts on the way from Shapeways that should make it as near as possible to a screenused hero scanner.

ST ENT Hand Scanner kit by JamieThomas28, on Flickr

Update on both the Starfleet pop-up Hand Scanner and MACO scanners very soon.

There is also going to be an Enterprise UT with Enterprise Comm kit available.

Phlox scanner kits and Hyposprays still available.
This will be a great year for Enterprise prop fans.

Kits and build ups will be offered.
Stay tuned!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back