Macross / Robotech Helmet EVA Foam Build - Started 2nd Try

Felgacarb

Sr Member
So, I finally got around to watching an Evil Ted tutorial on youtube.
I'd been intimidated by helmet construction, and had not seriously tried one before.
But after meeting Ted at a prop party, it sounded like EVA foam might be a good method to try.

I watched a few of the tutorials and the next day went out and bought some EVA foam floor mats.

So- since this is my first attempt, I decided to just go for it, start to finish, even if things get weird, and treat it as a learning experience-

Here goes-

What I'm trying to build: Rick Hunter's fighter pilot helmet-

Step one was to begin a pattern with aluminum foil and duct tape over a manquin head. I ordered an inexpensive head online, but it will be a couple of weeks before I get it.
Instead, I pulled down a light fixture that looked head size, and used that!

I was surprised at how easy it is to cut and heat shape this foam. I see why people like it. Next up was the contact cement....

This is where using a sphere instead of a true head shape made things a bit odd. However, I pushed on!

Adding more details helped.

Not terrible- Then I added smaller details with Foamy craft foam...

Next, I hit it with plasti-dip:

Then I hand painted the bright blue and red on with some left over acrylic paint...

So, things I've learned:

The right form when starting the pattern does matter...
I should make this helmet a smidge bigger overall.
I need to go back to the tutorial on smoothing the seams.
For a more serious build I will only use the plasti-dip as a sealer, and will spray on all the other colors.

So, to recap, the goal:

And here is how I ended up:

The plan is to (eventually!) do this again, now that I have a good idea of how it all works!

Thanks for looking, and thanks to Evil Ted, who makes great foam costumes and tutorials!

Last edited:
Re: Macross / Robotech Helmet (My First) EVA Foam Build

Not bad, I've been toying with the idea of making one myself but instead of making the entire helmet from scratch I was going to just make add on parts and attach them to one of those Chinese fighter pilot motorcycle helmets you see on eBay. Anyway, not too shabby for a first attempt, one thing though, the arrow on the sides of the helmet really shouldn't be a raised piece, it's rally meant to be a decal.

Re: Macross / Robotech Helmet (My First) EVA Foam Build

one thing though, the arrow on the sides of the helmet really shouldn't be a raised piece, it's rally meant to be a decal.

(Thanks!)

Oh, I think you're right...

It is easier to paint as a raised piece, though...

I got my foam mannequin head, so I've taken another crack at this!

A goal this time was to try to blend in the seams better than before.

And to try to get the proportions closer to how they looked in the animation.

I used nicer paints this time....

This second attempt is much better, but still not entirely what I'd hoped for. I need to get better at blending the seams in, still...

Probably a few more photos to come...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back