Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me)

Fits perfectly, the eyes are thankfully pretty well aligned and there's likely just enough room to put in some padding.[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo...after trying a dozen times to get the PLA/PHA to print successfully (curling up from the bed, tried ultra slow and had slightly more success, but never got a completed print) I switched back to regular PLA and started anew..

Reprinted the helmet in 5 pieces successfully (with one crack to be fixed), cut out the eyes with a Dremel and then a small exacto-saw/blade and sandpaper, and printed the knee pads/pouches/joints, elbow pads, biceps, gauntlets (fits! I can just squeeze into them without needing to modify it), thermal detonator and calves.
44c081616ded06a24b7854bc42f3137a.jpg

0fcad7d7d38d11fdfa4838e5dd39f9e2.jpg

The calves can be barely slid into too so may not try and modify them too much, though I may have to slice them up to get some attachment points and fabric fixed to them..(they look a bit big, but will complete it all before resizing if required).
773e699cb252d187ea2fc34ead75d0ee.jpg

Last edited:
...and so the prep for paint work begins. I bought some Bondo Spot and Glazing putty at the local automotive store and started crudely applying it to all the seams and areas requiring attention.
b3986f1d5034da6ec0ecca30dbd39b8e.jpg

I was using a set of cheap dental/sculpting tools which worked well. I also loaded up on some foam sanding blocks, flexible sandpaper (thx again Punished Props), needle files, etc.

The arsenal of equipment was also fortified by some 3M Acryl Green putty and XTC3D that I’m dying to try out.
4ff189df6103a25709ed32f95100edfe.jpg

On to the sanding! Ooh, I also attached a furnace filter to my fan to keep the dust down while sanding indoors in the garage. Works great. Also made sure to wear a dust mask and glasses after some errant chipped away cyano-glue hit me in the eye early on.
04b4c25e2d19c3de4b5ec10bc45edfeb.jpg

So far so good...
17ddad77c86f8901b0a00ba93fe84253.jpg

f5b04cca33064134f1ad1a50264f07ed.jpg

43b64e6895bc6ca42d0c1592dda3f926.jpg

e2f8b489b54140d9b7e337a31f4e7b9a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As the sanding process started I threw on a web-found Shoretrooper rifle on to the 3D printer and ended up with a catastrophic failure. I should have reset all the supports and rafts, etc. In Simplify 3D myself (FYI: the rafts in the new version of Simplify3D are AMAZING!). The hotend was completely encased in a huge PLA blob which I removed with a hot air gun, pliers and an exacto knife. Unfortunately I ended up cutting all the wires and had to order the individual components from Prusa (shipping cost more than the parts).

After the Prusa parts arrived they announced the availability of their Mk2.5 upgrade kit, which I have on order for delivery in the new year. Hopefully this makes it easier to print the Ninjaflex shoes and abs... will also save on filament due to its new sensors https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/printer-upgrades/179-original-prusa-i3-mk2s-to-mk25-upgrade-kit.html
...printer stats show 77 days worth of printing so far and likely would have been another 77 prior to me not adequately prepping that last file. Love the Prusa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...and in the meantime, I may have found the next major project (?)...Just got my delivery notice from 3A
e046b5b9e16b45ae75e90841a66647e3.jpg

Wow you took on a big project but have made excellent progress and thank you for all of the extensive documentation of what you have accomplished so far!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back