Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 4, 2017, 8:50 AM - Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me) #26

...and so the prep for paint work begins. I bought some Bondo Spot and Glazing putty at the local automotive store and started crudely applying it to all the seams and areas requiring attention.

I was using a set of cheap dental/sculpting tools which worked well. I also loaded up on some foam sanding blocks, flexible sandpaper (thx again Punished Props), needle files, etc.

The arsenal of equipment was also fortified by some 3M Acryl Green putty and XTC3D that Iím dying to try out.

On to the sanding! Ooh, I also attached a furnace filter to my fan to keep the dust down while sanding indoors in the garage. Works great. Also made sure to wear a dust mask and glasses after some errant chipped away cyano-glue hit me in the eye early on.

So far so good...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 4, 2017, 9:00 AM - Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me) #27

As the sanding process started I threw on a web-found Shoretrooper rifle on to the 3D printer and ended up with a catastrophic failure. I should have reset all the supports and rafts, etc. In Simplify 3D myself (FYI: the rafts in the new version of Simplify3D are AMAZING!). The hotend was completely encased in a huge PLA blob which I removed with a hot air gun, pliers and an exacto knife. Unfortunately I ended up cutting all the wires and had to order the individual components from Prusa (shipping cost more than the parts).

After the Prusa parts arrived they announced the availability of their Mk2.5 upgrade kit, which I have on order for delivery in the new year. Hopefully this makes it easier to print the Ninjaflex shoes and abs... will also save on filament due to its new sensors https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/printer-...grade-kit.html
    ...printer stats show 77 days worth of printing so far and likely would have been another 77 prior to me not adequately prepping that last file. Love the Prusa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Member Since
    Mar 2017
    6 Days Ago  Nov 13, 2017, 9:16 PM - Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me) #28

...and in the meantime, I may have found the next major project (?)...Just got my delivery notice from 3A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. RPF Premium Member D48thRonin's Avatar
    6 Days Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 1:30 AM - Re: Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me) #29

Good luck getting your ankles to look that skinny though!
    From
    Manteca, CA
    6 Days Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 1:29 PM - Re: Star Wars Variant Play Arts Kai Stormtrooper by Square Enix (and me) #30

Wow you took on a big project but have made excellent progress and thank you for all of the extensive documentation of what you have accomplished so far!