Thor "Mjolnir" Hammer Scratch Build - 3d Model/Print - FINISHED

robpauza

Hi everyone,

I've been a member here a while but haven't really posted anything, so I'm long overdue. :)

I just completed a fully scratch built Thor Hammer and thought I'd share. All 3d modeling/3d printing/finishing & painting was done by me. There's a ton of different versions of this floating around, so I really wasn't going for full accuracy, and definitely took a few liberties. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Here is the finished 3d model: (done in Lightwave)
Thor_Hammer-1-X3.jpg

I added an Asgard emblem to the end of the handle:
Thor_Hammer-2-X3.jpg

Here's a quick 3d render: (rendered in Keyshot)
Thor_Hammer-3-X3.jpg

And a closeup render of the Asgard emblem on the handle: (I ended up enlarging it on the final version)
Thor_Hammer-4-X3.jpg

I broke it up so it would print in pieces. I used my Raise3D N2 printer with Hatchbox PLA. Took about 90 hours to print.
Thor_Hammer-5-X3.jpg

I also modeled and printed a base. I think the print time was about 40 hours on this.
Thor_Hammer-6-X3.jpg

I made a base plate in Illustrator and laser etched/cut it:
Thor_Hammer-7-X3.jpg

Here's after some filling/sanding and some painting:
Thor_Hammer-8-X3.jpg

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the comment. I do a lot lot of photography and video, so I have a lot of toys to make that part easy. The "podium" it's sitting on is actually just my aluminum trash can from my kitchen. :)

Thanks Wolverine. There's plenty of these already floating around for download, but I just like to do my own stuff. Yeah, no prob... I'll share. After gluing it together I think it would be better if I added a couple supports on the two hammer pieces. I'll do that really quick and post a link here in a bit.

Thanks again for the comments.

-Rob

Re: Thor "Mjolnir" Hammer Scratch Build - 3d Model/Print - FINISHED

Was curious why you didn't add alignment locator tabs to the hammer head, rather than a flat glue surface. The level of detail was amazing.
This was the first time I've seen a modeling video, cool to see you design it then build it.

How much did it cost in materials to print? [emoji2]

Last edited:

Was curious why you didn't add alignment locator tabs to the hammer head, rather than a flat glue surface. The level of detail was amazing.
This was the first time I've seen a modeling video, cool to see you design it then build it.

How much did it cost in materials to print? [emoji2]

Well.... epoxy does remarkably well adhering to PLA, so I thought I could get by by without, and honestly, it's pretty sturdy as is. But... yeah, it would have been smart to add some registration keys, which I just did.

The cost is going to be determined by how dense the infill is when you print. I wanted some heft to mine and I used just over one roll of filament for both the hammer and close to a roll for the base.... so mine ended up costing maybe $50. If you use PLA, just be sure to keep it out of the sun because it does tend to warp, even in 70-80 (F) degree temperatures. I had a helmet warp a bit (actually my avatar pic) leaving the halves in my car and it wasn't fun later making it fit.

Okay folks, I added some registration keys for the two hammer halves.
keys01.pngkeys02.png

PLEASE adhere to my credit/copyright/usage info:

------------------------------
These files are NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION OR SALE. They are ©copyright of Rob Pauza - 2017. You may use them only for your own personal use.

If you do use this/these models, please give credit to Rob Pauza for the 3d model(s).

NOTES:
- This is built at 100% scale and aligned to fit my 12x12x12 printer build volume. You may need to alter it to fit yours.
- This was not meant to be a fully accurate reproduction. It was meant to be only be a close representation of the Marvel Thor hammer.
- The “runes” on the handle were completely made up since I couldn’t find any good reference material. They are separate geometry, so it should be easy to delete if desired.

“Marvel” & Marvel’s “Thor” are copyright of Marvel and DC Comics. All rights reserved.
------------------------------

Here you go:
http://rg.to/file/7c534f1da4e4196c4d2f8ba7dafd20d7/thor_hammer_stl.zip.html

Here's the contents of the above zip file:
contents.png

Hope you enjoy, and I'd love to see what you guys do with this.
-Rob

Thank you Rob, your work here is amazing and your generosity appreciated :D
I hope I get a chance to get this printed, I will make sure you get full credit for the time, effort and skill that went into this.

I was able to find these reference images regarding the pommel engraving and runes from a "movie replica" product. not sure if these are classed as good references or not :)

Hammer Details.jpg

Re: Thor "Mjolnir" Hammer Scratch Build - 3d Model/Print -

I was able to find these reference images regarding the pommel engraving and runes from a "movie replica" product. not sure if these are classed as good references or not :)

View attachment 723373

Thanks Wolverine! Maybe I'll update the pommel at some point. I guess I gave up too fast. There seemed to be so many different versions out there, I wasn't sure what was what.

Thanks Lord Magneto! I appreciate it.

Thanks Obi Wan Ken0B1! I was a bit nervous about it. That was my first attempt at metal.

-Rob

Thank you Rob for sharing this. I am new to the community and very new to 3d printing. I downloaded the file and tried separating the files since my printer is only 210x210x205. But everytime I do so, the cura program locks up. Do you have a suggestion on a program/app that will help me print each piece individually? Many thanks for your help in advanced. This is fantastic. I really do hope to get this printed.

@ daddysmooth:
Thanks a bunch!

@ Bokeholics:
Sorry. I don't have any experience with any slicing program other than Ideamaker. But, I feel your pain. I haven't had much luck either re-slicing triangulated stl files. When I get home tonight, I'll see if I can slice up my original file for you to fit your build platform. I'll post a link here for you and others.

@ ajhix:
Thank you, and no prob.

Thanks again guys for the replies!
-Rob

Thank you Rob for sharing this. I am new to the community and very new to 3d printing. I downloaded the file and tried separating the files since my printer is only 210x210x205. But everytime I do so, the cura program locks up. Do you have a suggestion on a program/app that will help me print each piece individually? Many thanks for your help in advanced. This is fantastic. I really do hope to get this printed.

Here you go. I modified it to fit your printer.
https://rg.to/file/b1b790734fb5b812c12f0ce54d5b6842/thor_hammer_small_printers.zip.html

thor_smaller_printers.jpg

Thank you Rob. You are awesome. I tried so many ways to splice tbis in meshmixer and my computer crashed so I did the most logical thing.. I returned the printer and bought the creality cr-10s s5.. This will allow me to print 500x500x500. Lol.. I figured that one should be big enough. Haha....

Thank you again. What an awesome community And great people!! I am super excited to build this masterpiece.

It should arrive tomorrow so you know I'll be busy this weekend.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back