1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City Pad

Re: 1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City

Epic!

Cool backdrop. The only thing I might consider is the difference in tone between the 3-D platofrm and 2-d background. The background is very sunset drenched (i.e lots of oranges and reds) while the foreground 3-D objects are very blue. You might consider having a light source pointing at your display that can add some of the red/orange light to it so it integrates better into the background?

Re: 1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City

WOW! Just amazing!

Beautiful landing platform...and yes, as blakeh1 said: more orange light on that platform;)

In fabricating (printing) the main platform cone tops, I tried to match the break in the cones to match the CGI model. The break 1/3 up seemed boring, so I decided to add my own twist again. Starting with Ultra Bright Red LEDs and I digital chaser board, the effect was pretty boring. Adding more LEDs to brighten it up, and achieve the "neon" effect is was shooting for, quickly over taxed the digital chaser board. Out came the old school stuff, a timer board with TRIACs and an EEPROM to handle the voltage and amperage loads. The effect looks much better in real life, onto the landing surface and all the edge lighting around that area.

cloud city landing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

What starts as a CG image in a movie doesn't necessarily translate to reality. Even with the numerous perspectives from different scenes in the movie, the intersections and angles presented don't work in a real world. A lot of massaging of parts have tested my patience, and as with all scratch build modeling, lots ant lots of filling and sanding to come. A little progress update.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1423.JPG IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG

That looks mighty good:cool!!

After watching every frame of the movie, I couldn't find a single rendering of the Elevator Tower, other than the shot of the door. Looking at all the different building is the Cloud City, I didn't feel comfortable with making the support tower round. I think this design meets the overall "curvature" throughout the Cloud City, but is more in tune with a tower that would support the elevated landing pad.

Let me know what you think.

Elevator Tower & Elevated Walkway.jpg
IMG_1430.JPG

Last edited:

Finding the right shape to model the elevator tower after was only in a few scenes of ESB,. and of course adding a little of my own artistic license. Everything is now printed and test fitted, onto the hours and hours of filling and sanding to get ready for paint. Compound curves and cones are not user friendly to making sharp edges. Getting the internal lighting and details before assembly is taking a lot of time.

Cloud City Screen Shot.jpg
IMG_1433.JPG

That is looking great. The lighted spire/observation tower at the top of the structure is a nice touch.

Is this for you or a client? I was just curious about how the finished piece might be displayed since it looks to be a pretty good size.

That is looking great. The lighted spire/observation tower at the top of the structure is a nice touch.

Is this for you or a client? I was just curious about how the finished piece might be displayed since it looks to be a pretty good size.

The model is my personal project. This is the second scale model project for me since I was a kid. I love automation and electronics development, and got into 3D modeling and printing late in life. I needed something to keep my hands busy in retirement and with my other interests, the scale modeling fit right in. I have done some life size 3D modeling and printing for DC Comics and Six Flags, and it is very slow and very boring.
Batman_01.jpg Superman_01.jpgWonder Woman_01.jpg
Batman is 6'-4" tall, Superman is 6'-6" and Wonder Woman is 6'-0".

Detail on the life size is 150 microns or about 13,000 layers of printing, where the scale model stuff is 16-25 microns. Scale stuff is much more challenging.

Last edited:

Damn nice!!!!

Yes! That structure is ace!! And your other work is incredible also:eek:cool

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back