Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

Still can't do it, I scoffed when these were going for $20. I'd still like a affordable kit to build but at the prices they are going for now, no way. I'm with the brittle plastic, toy folks. I hope at least that this shows there is a huge want for this type of thing and other manufacturers start making similar but slightly improved items.

It is indeed, a cheaply made plastic toy...but when you consider how hard it is to find ANY version of this pistol that doesn't cost $400+, then paying $40 or 50 for this version didn't seem so bad (for me). You can also go with rgresibeck's kit, which is a solid resin (do 3-D printers material qualify as resin?) with LOTS of bells and whistles....and costs less than a Tomenosuke (sp?)

I'm surprised that since this is a real world, found item (and not something created by a prop builder/RPF member) that someone isn't casting the gun body minus the grips for a solid resin copy of the gun.

I know a resin copy wouldn't be any better as far as accuracy or details, and wouldn't any more accurate than the base water gun, but if I'm going to spend $50+ at least it would be a solid cast and hopefully less than the $125 and up 3D printed ones that take a huge amount of work to smooth and paint.

It never made sense to me to spend big bucks/time to convert one of these to a worldcon replica with lights and working parts as opposed to a 3d kit but some people are into that. Some pretty awesome paints jobs in here though.

Yeah, It's overpriced plastic but a pretty good base for modding and painting as a "reasonably priced" representation of the prop. As mentioned 3d printing is still pretty labour intensive to get a good finish. If anyone was going to offer a decent resin copy it'd still be nearer $100 and it wouldn't look as good as these that have had a decent paint job. I actually prefer some of the blasters on here to the official Tomen 2049 gun which just looks completely soulless to me.

I just used a can of black spray paint and used pewter rub n buff for the metalic parts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

RLD9K, Nice work! I'm following your lead because I like what you've done with yours. I'm curious if you painted the whole gun black and then used the Rub and Buff on top of the black spray paint? My gun is sanded and primed for paint but was curious where to start. Again, nice work. Thanks for sharing those pics!

RLD9K, Nice work! I'm following your lead because I like what you've done with yours. I'm curious if you painted the whole gun black and then used the Rub and Buff on top of the black spray paint? My gun is sanded and primed for paint but was curious where to start. Again, nice work. Thanks for sharing those pics!
Thank you. I gave the whole gun a base coat of black before I used the rub n' buff [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Well, this happened

IMG_7487.JPG

I kind of didn't like the text. Some bondo and light sanding later, pretty much gone. I did keep the logo on the end.

I think ill also be filling in the 'Made in China". The text doesn't do it for me. I know it's homage to the OG, but I'm just not a fan.

Well, this happened

View attachment 773096

I kind of didn't like the text. Some bondo and light sanding later, pretty much gone. I did keep the logo on the end.

I think ill also be filling in the 'Made in China". The text doesn't do it for me. I know it's homage to the OG, but I'm just not a fan.

Totally agree.
I'm hoping someone will sell accurate laser engravings or at least decals so I can replace mine.

Kylo1 ,

Really nice , clean work there - can hardly make out the seam lines . Would like to know what type / brand of primer you’ve used , and those grips - are they the supplied ones , they seem darker , more dense if you know what I mean ?

:cheersGed

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments guys. I will post more pics as soon as I have done some paintwork. I have also drilled out some of the fake bolts so I can add real ones once painted

- - - Updated - - -

@Kylo1 ,

Really nice , clean work there - can hardly make out the seam lines . Would like to know what type / brand of primer you’ve used , and those grips - are they the supplied ones , they seem darker , more dense if you know what I mean ?

:cheersGed

They are the supplied grips but I darkened the inside using a brown Sharpie. I may have to slightly go over it with wire wool to lose a bit of the "lined" effect

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back