Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

A word of warning: The large amount of heat generated by a fast kicking resin has the potential to distort the thin styrene shell, so if anyone is planning to fill the water gun with resin for added weight, be sure to either use a slow setting resin (like the clear that Candykiller used), or only fill a little bit at a time (allowing the blaster to cool between pours). I learned this after a pair of grips that I'd cut off and backfilled warped while curing... fortunately, grips can be replaced, but I'd hate to see someone's entire blaster get trashed.

I was planning to completely fill mine with resin but as I have never worked with resin before, I wasn't aware of the heat thing. I have bought this type from ebay....will it be ok to use in one go or will I need to add a bit at a time?
I was lucky enough with my blaster that the grips came straight off and didn't appear to have been glued which will make the painting easier :)
resin.PNG

I was planning to completely fill mine with resin but as I have never worked with resin before, I wasn't aware of the heat thing. I have bought this type from ebay....will it be ok to use in one go or will I need to add a bit at a time?
I was lucky enough with my blaster that the grips came straight off and didn't appear to have been glued which will make the painting easier :)
View attachment 751989

I would say that's going to get quite hot... Do a little test on some similar plastic if you want to be safe :)

I would say that's going to get quite hot... Do a little test on some similar plastic if you want to be safe :)

Will do thanks. I have also read somewhere that you can add products to the resin at mixing stage to reduce the heat. Anyone have experience or can offer advice with this. I wanted to give the gun some weight and thought that resin would be the simplest answer but I don't want to risk warping the plastic

Will do thanks. I have also read somewhere that you can add products to the resin at mixing stage to reduce the heat. Anyone have experience or can offer advice with this. I wanted to give the gun some weight and thought that resin would be the simplest answer but I don't want to risk warping the plastic

You can always try a bit of PVA mixed with Lead Shot... That's what i did on my Indy Idol to give it a bit of heft!

Any ideas yet how to fix the flat front end part of the receiver?

I'm planning to drill / cut out the 'blank' area and insert something as close to the original detail as possible. I haven't tried yet but it actually looks as if the orange (fake gun) ring that comes with the pistol might be the right size to act as the base for the new detail if it's slipped into the main frame of the gun at that point. I've got a couple of ideas for the inner 'rings' and the pin too. Will be experimenting in a few days when I've got some time!

Has anyone compared the grips to other replicas? There is a person who offers (forget his name off hand) clear resin amber grips. Would these likely fit?

Got my blue grips from HLJ yesterday and immediately got to work on one of them. Still have a lot to do but here's the first pass.

Nice. Police model I assume? I think I might be the only one in here who is going to actually leave this as a stock form squirt gun lol. I have 3 other blaster kits waiting to get built.

Nice. Police model I assume? I think I might be the only one in here who is going to actually leave this as a stock form squirt gun lol. I have 3 other blaster kits waiting to get built.

Thanks!. And yea, though I'm considering giving the grips a wood grain as well. Also I agree, I have one set aside that I don't plan on modding at all, but we'll see how long that plan lasts for.

Fettbat, This looks GREAT! is that all simply paintwork, or did you add/replace any pieces?

[and by the word 'simply', i mean Amazing!]

Thanks Uridium! It's all paint on this one, the main parts are various spray paints and the bolts, screws, and such are silver and gold sharpie. I think the only add on will be trying to get this thing heavier without using resin!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back