Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

Been making some progress:

Here’s some seam/flash removed
View attachment 779754

I finally got around to removing the inside guts of the grips. Along with filling in most of the text on both sides
View attachment 779755

Also, the crack to the right of the bolt action is almost completely gone
View attachment 779756

And lastly just for fun
View attachment 779757
@Soulinertia your grips rule :thumbsup

Looks great so far! I got just about that far and then had a super FAIL. I used a dremel to remove most of the water tank, buffed the entire gun with 0 steel wool for paint prep, sprayed 2 coats of primer, and then...dropped the damn thing while sanding down the last bits of plastic around the frame (those little nooks and crannies are pretty tough and the plastic is extremely brittle). The frame literally shattered. Luckily, I ordered 2 guns. Be very careful. You have to get that frame down flush all the way around or the grips wont fit right.

I'm working on a second project. Modding one of those toy guns from Amazon. I'm going to use the parts from my broken water pistol to fill in that gap in the middle. Progess so far...I need to sand down that second trigger and add the parts from the water gun...

Last edited:
Yea I’m being SUPER careful because Ive only got one go at this, lol.

ive been going to everything I’m going with knowing I only have one blaster. So my @$! Is being very careful

im also working on this thing very slowly.

Only progress is I’ve removed some of the barrel and attached the orange tip. Hahah
0713A882-B45C-4419-8A4F-B79E7301B1BD.jpeg

This was an order picture. I’ve since removed more of the squirt guns barrel so the orange tip wouldn’t protrude as much.

Thats about it, though.

Is there any word if the manufacturer will do a second run? It seems that they would with how well it sold.

I'd like one, but $65 off eBay for some plastic tat is a bit too much. For not that much more you could pick up a resin kit.

They are pretty similar tbh except for the butt plate depth and the grip area of the water gun is thicker to hold than the Tomen

The chrome looks absolutely awesome...you used spaz sticks? I'm not familiar with that. I too have the blue grip version. I am looking to make it look like a chrome or aluminum version with blue lights.

Progress update...
After the failure of my home-made mould using 100% silicone caulking and cornstarch, I popped over to Barnes in Richmond (it's near my work) and picked up some Pinkysil, Epoxyglass and Bright orange translucent pigment. This made for a much easier (and way less sticky) moulding process.
I made a box out of foam core and placed the grips into it, ready for the silicone.

20171211_121236.jpg

I mixed up a batch of Pinkysil, and in a long thin stream poured it in.

20171218_213927.jpg

I didn't know at the time, but I made two mistakes.

1. The grips weren't seated properly, which allowed some of the silicone to leak under.
    Not much but a little.
  2. Probably should have made sure the mould was on a level surface.
Next, I mixed up the Epoxyglass.
I need to take a minute here and thank the wonderful staff at Barnes in Richmond. They were super friendly and informative and didn't treat me like an idiot when I asked silly questions, like the n00b I am.

20171221_204404.jpg

Again I poured this from as high as I could in the thinnest stream I could to avoid air bubbles (pro tip from Bill Doran from Punished Props.)

And boy did it work!

20171222_172919-e1515199577580.jpg

Not a bubble to be seen!

Please ignore the spillage it was my first time using this stuff.

20180106_114925-e1515200025470.jpg

The final result is pretty good but not great. I have heaps of clean up to do.

20180106_115018-e1515200067974.jpg
20180106_115002-e1515200097707.jpg

I'll need to flatten the backs and then re-polish them, but all in all, I'm happy with my first attempt at moulding and casting.

Would it have been cheaper to buy them from Soulinertia? Probably but it's fun to try new things.

Check out my whole build at www.stefwill.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work stefwill, would u know how much of the silicon u used roughly? being in aus i was going to order the same stuff but am weighing up costs etc

@Tuckanator I picked up the 1kg Pinkysil and the 250ml Epoxyglass and have about a 3rd of the silicone left and about a 6th of the epoxy.
I used about 8 - 10 drops of the pigment. Just eyeball it.

http://www.barnes.com.au/addition-curing-silicone/pinkysil-silicone-2209#/2-sizes-1kg
http://www.barnes.com.au/epoxy/epoxyglass-2145#/21-sizes_liquds-250ml
http://www.barnes.com.au/resin-pigm...-pigments-989#/279-pstf_colours-bright_orange

Hope that helps

Awesome thanks heaps!

Just a quick one.
Thought I'd show off the colour comparison of the cast.
It is a little darker but I think that is a better match.

The resin is on the left.
20180106_180240.jpg

I'm quite happy with that. I did this cast the week before Xmas and only just thought to do a colour check :)

Does anyone have an ID on this knob? I'd like to real-part replacement on my water gun if I can find out what it is.
Blade Runner Blaster Gun002.jpg

You're right, that's the one. Also found on the 344 apparently. Seems they're nearly impossible to find online nowadays..know of anyone who offers casts?

Not off the top of my head. If you’re not a member of the Facebook group ‘Blade Runner Blaster Addicts Support Group’ is recommend asking there too.

if anyone would I’d think Richard Coyle. He’s a member in that group also if I’m not mistaken.

Update time.

Here’s the little work I've done so far. Also, I forgot to sand before taking these shots so the blaster looks a little rough.

First, the usual shot. Not much really new:
06839B3A-0384-4198-8D67-F4EB9F198B5A.jpeg

Expect maybe me finishing the barrel!
0550815E-00C7-4BC0-9F24-832722E73B50.jpeg

Also, I’ve added some hardware as you can see:
213DED54-E9AE-4341-9D87-DD7E15CE572E.jpeg

The one one thing I’m still one the fence about is the front end. See for yourselves:
ABF985E2-CABC-4BEC-9AEA-17B9155DB83C.jpeg

the one small detail I’m kinda proud of:
417BBAA7-B3D1-4F76-A2AA-E5B98FDA463C.jpeg
Basically I torched an Allen wrench and made an impression on the “screw” to make look a little more realistic.

And lastly the grips with some hardware:
4076A0AA-4678-4892-918A-DC5D74ACF716.jpeg
with all that said and done, after some sanding it’s time to paint. ‘Bout time if you ask me :)

Last edited:
Update time.

Here’s the little work I've done so far. Also, I forgot to sand before taking these shots so the blaster looks a little rough.

First, the usual shot. Not much really new:
View attachment 785919

Expect maybe me finishing the barrel!
View attachment 785920

Also, I’ve added some hardware as you can see:
View attachment 785921

The one one thing I’m still one the fence about is the front end. See for yourselves:
View attachment 785922

the one small detail I’m kinda proud of:
View attachment 785923
Basically I torched an Allen wrench and made an impression on the “screw” to make look a little more realistic.

And lastly the grips with some hardware:
View attachment 785924
with all that said and done, after some sanding it’s time to paint. ‘Bout time if you ask me :)

Looks great!! Can't wait to see it painted up!

Progress from the last 2 days:

I carefully cut out the magazine (which was really tricky) with Tamiya .01mm craft saws. Mutilated one in the process! Then I built up the walls and created a 'roof' with styrene, effectively making a sealed compartment for the battery/LED housing. Eventually, I'll fill the body of the gun with resin to give it some weight, so now the resin won't come pouring out of that gaping hole!
26240754_909046659250019_7001179445937428082_o.jpg

Progress from the last 2 days:

I carefully cut out the magazine (which was really tricky) with Tamiya .01mm craft saws. Mutilated one in the process! Then I built up the walls and created a 'roof' with styrene, effectively making a sealed compartment for the battery/LED housing. Eventually, I'll fill the body of the gun with resin to give it some weight, so now the resin won't come pouring out of that gaping hole!
View attachment 786004
Great work! Wish I'd done that.

Sent from my brain using the Tapatalk monkeys

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back