Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

After looking it over again today, I wasn't satisfied with how the graphite treatment had come out so I decided to buff in some black pastel on the receiver. That gave me more of the finish I was looking for. Then using a q-tip damped with alcohol I gently wiped and buffed areas to lift the pastel and create wear on the finish. Once that was done I gave it a couple coats of sealer for metalizer. I'm still toying with the idea of drilling out the LEDs and inserting red acrylic rods to catch more light.
blaster2017.jpg
blaster20172.jpg

@Collektor ,
@Candykiller , and another builder ( sorry- can’t remember the name ) earlier on this thread , used self adhesive ‘ gem / rhinestones ‘ for LED replacements ( 3mm ) .
They seemed to have that ‘ standout ‘ quality you’re talking about .

Ged

After what seemed like forever, I finally cut the mag off. I got the thinnest blade to need the least amount of cleanup but I wasn't expecting it to be as thin as aluminum foil. When put back together it's like it wasn't even cut, just the paint on the edges being disturbed.
AXAAmNb.jpg

@Collektor ,
@Candykiller , and another builder ( sorry- can’t remember the name ) earlier on this thread , used self adhesive ‘ gem / rhinestones ‘ for LED replacements ( 3mm ) .
They seemed to have that ‘ standout ‘ quality you’re talking about .

Ged

They actually used those on the "luxury" black painted edition for the side magazine LED's. The rest are painted. I was surprised.

This is my attempt at it. However the grips aren't actually attached, cause I don't wanna cut into the water holding bit and they are a tad too small. The ones I have for it are blue.
314809e8deb7d6d9c0e615582307a55b.jpg
36bb971dc28aa56082a0b2e27a7bb60e.jpg
bef1c436cce8570a792d0a473cac7475.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

RLD9K ,

Nice smooth looking finish on your pistol . Congratulations . Wondering in #991 , there’s a Rub’n’Buff tube - did you use that on your build and if so what finish is it ? Thanks ,

Ged

Last edited by a moderator:
@RLD9K ,

Nice smooth looking finish on your pistol . Congratulations . Wondering in #991 , there’s a Rub’n’Buff tube - did you use that on your build and if so what finish is it ? Thanks ,

Ged
Thank you, still gotta add some rust though (somehow). And yes I did use Rub n Buff. The finish I bought was pewter, which has a slight gold tint to it, making the gun look tarnished. I wasn't sure on it at first but it actually turned out alright in the end. [emoji106]

Much thanks to 829Japan, I finally got my hands on one of these. It's gorgeous! I wasn't very interested in this prop until a few months ago, but now I'm in love.

I'm a bit timid to start working on it since the water gun is so beautiful on it's own. You all have done such an amazing job with yours. I'm feeling very inspired by this thread!

IMG_7073.jpg

Does anyone know the best way to darken the receiver on mine, and get some rust on it?

Does anyone know the best way to darken the receiver on mine, and get some rust on it?

I found great success with Candykiller's technique:
-paint with a gray primer
-then slather with black oil paint
-then (before the oil paint dries) wipe off as much as you can
-then (if you want it more metallic) finish by rubbing in some graphite powder

...Although honestly, I was pretty happy with the finish even without graphite. Makes a good dull gunmetal, and it has a surprisingly metallic sheen once you've finished the oil paint step. Adding rust at that point would probably be as easy as lightly dry-brushing some reds/browns in acrylic paint.

If you used rub and buff then the graphite powder trick should work. You can grind down coloured pencils and apply with a short stiff brush for a subtle effect for the rust. Alcohol inks work ok on top of rub and buff too.
Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back