Subscribe
  1. Hovito loincloth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Messages
    272
    Feb 27, 2018, 4:04 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1201

    stefwill said: View Post
    When you said tears in the rain base, I pictured Roy Batty sitting cross-legged holding a dove.

    Sent from my brain using the Tapatalk monkeys
    Yeeeaahhhh, ​not quite got the space for that, and the wife nixed the whole "full size Rachel in fur coat" idea as well.
  2. RPF Premium Member Mechanized2400's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2015
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Messages
    1,204
    Feb 27, 2018, 4:59 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1202

    The unicorn as the stand is pretty ingenious, very cool.

    the blaster looks very well done also
  3. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Feb 27, 2018, 8:46 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1203

    Hovito loincloth said: View Post
    Attachment 798837Attachment 798836
    Attachment 798839Attachment 798838

    Aaaand I'm done. Complete with tears in rain base.
    when I first saw this post I was in a hurry and only noticed the awesome job you did on the blaster
    but now that I have some free time.................oohhh fuuu....... that base is pure genius and amazing.

    great job on both pieces
  4. RPF Premium Member stefwill's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2012
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Messages
    126
    Mar 6, 2018, 11:15 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1204

    Hovito loincloth said: View Post
    Yeeeaahhhh, ​not quite got the space for that, and the wife nixed the whole "full size Rachel in fur coat" idea as well.
    Think I'll model a small version of this guy as a stand with the blaster Resting on his head.

    Sent from my brain using the Tapatalk monkeys
  5. Hovito loincloth's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Messages
    272
    Mar 7, 2018, 11:20 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1205

    stefwill said: View Post
    Think I'll model a small version of this guy as a stand with the blaster Resting on his head. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...790fe313bf.gif

    Sent from my brain using the Tapatalk monkeys
    Look forward to it. The other idea I had was a section of lath and plaster wall with water running down it. Maybe for the next one.
  6. RPF Premium Member Krats's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    From
    UK
    Messages
    147
    Mar 9, 2018, 4:46 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1206

    Your blaster conversion is absolutely top notch but it's your display base that's really blown me away. Beautiful presentation, really thoughtful.


    Hovito loincloth said: View Post
    Attachment 798837Attachment 798836
    Attachment 798839Attachment 798838

    Aaaand I'm done. Complete with tears in rain base.
  7. Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Messages
    2
    Mar 9, 2018, 8:42 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1207

    Anyone out there who could help hook me up with one of these in the UK? It may have been a 'cheap' alternative, but certainly not now.... you can't get one for less than 50 online, not including the crippling customs share! Amazon JP don't ship here, so I'm stuck. I'm on quite a tight budget too (I wish I could have gotten one of the 11$ deals some were getting upthread)

    any ideas would be appreciated!
  8. RPF Premium Member Thain's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Cincinnati, OH
    Messages
    555
    Mar 20, 2018, 12:14 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1208

    I'm back home on spring break, so naturally I'm spending my time at my workbench. Had a very successful and productive day:

    Cut off the other half of the grip, leaving just the frame:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	803803

    Test fitting the resin Tomen grips, I noticed there was a slight gap. Sooo....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7649.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	803804

    I chopped the butt off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7650.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	803805

    Then I built the other half of the inner grip with styrene...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7656.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	803806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	803807

    And glued it into place!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7661.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	803810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7660.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	803811

    Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the grips and fill in any gaps. I also plan on gluing the barrel and upper barrel greeblie into place. Then I'll focus on the magazine/battery pack.
  9. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Mar 20, 2018, 1:49 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1209

    Thain said: View Post
    I'm back home on spring break, so naturally I'm spending my time at my workbench. Had a very successful and productive day:

    Cut off the other half of the grip, leaving just the frame:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	803803

    Test fitting the resin Tomen grips, I noticed there was a slight gap. Sooo....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7649.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	803804

    I chopped the butt off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7650.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	803805

    Then I built the other half of the inner grip with styrene...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7656.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	803806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	803807

    And glued it into place!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7661.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	803810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7660.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	803811

    Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the grips and fill in any gaps. I also plan on gluing the barrel and upper barrel greeblie into place. Then I'll focus on the magazine/battery pack.
    last month I got the Tome blaster and compared it to the water guns, and I would say they are about 99% close in size

    The "Butt" on the water gun is a bit shorter in height than on the Tomes'. Reason you have a gap.

    when I get some free time I plan to post lots of pics of the water gun and tome. And give the list off all the exact sized screws used
    And pics of the instruction booklet and more pics of the gun, to help your guys build

    And since I own the Tome, I plan to use it as a reference to upgrade my water guns.
  10. RPF Premium Member Mechanized2400's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2015
    From
    Dallas, TX
    Messages
    1,204
    Mar 20, 2018, 2:17 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1210

    You’re right @Getoninja I was surprised at how close the two actually were.

    I know someone had done a comparison pages back but in person I was pretty blown away at how close the Fullcock is.

    for the $20 I paid when it came out, this was an excellent replica.

    Also, @Thain you’re blaster is looking epic. The grip frame came out awesome
  11. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Messages
    3,475
    Mar 21, 2018, 6:33 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1211

    I have never claimed to be sane...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip20180321-left.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	804137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip20180321-right.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	804138
    I built up the internal revolver frame which is attached to the Steyr receiver and magwell. It will allow me to cut up all those small gaps that the prop has and add visible details inside them. Left side of frame is thickened, right side of the frame has been cut and fitted but will be installed late — after triggers and grip frame are in place.
    I made half a revolver cylinder which fits inside the left side of the frame and which will be visible through some gaps.

    The magwell has been cut up, gaps filled and reinforced on four sides. The mag is a bit of a mess.

    I thickened the grip butt on the bottom before I knew that the grip was too long. It would have been easier to cover the gap than to fill it, which I will have to do next.

    All structural work done with solvent-welded styrene. Putty only on the surface.
  12. joberg's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Messages
    5,426
    Mar 21, 2018, 8:03 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1212

    That "Tears in Rain" base is the bomb Great idea for sure!
  13. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 10, 2018, 11:58 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1213

    Thain said: View Post
    I'm back home on spring break, so naturally I'm spending my time at my workbench. Had a very successful and productive day:

    Cut off the other half of the grip, leaving just the frame:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7645.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	803803

    Test fitting the resin Tomen grips, I noticed there was a slight gap. Sooo....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7649.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	803804

    I chopped the butt off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7650.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	803805

    Then I built the other half of the inner grip with styrene...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7656.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	803806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	803807

    And glued it into place!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7661.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	803810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7660.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	803811

    Tomorrow I'm going to clean up the grips and fill in any gaps. I also plan on gluing the barrel and upper barrel greeblie into place. Then I'll focus on the magazine/battery pack.
    sorry for delay not sure if your done, but hope this helps you and others.

    the Tomenosuke butt has a sharper edges versus water gun with soft edges.
    measurements are in metric
    12mm high and the end tip is 9mm. Get styrene sheets, clay, etc.. and stack till you get the exact size, seems easy.

  14. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 12:05 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1214

    okay, here is what I have so far of my Tomenosuke blaster. if you guys have questions and need more plmk, but get busy and there could be delays

    Tomen used screws sizes in metric and inches
    For the past month I been on quest for most screws for my water guns and its a pain.
    I been buying most my screws from Home Depot to keep the screws consistent. and I think I will spend about $18 in screws for three blasters.

    Want to give a important note on cheap screws, if you buy them at Harbor Fright or cheap Chinese brands, some "Hex" shapes are not centered. I noticed this from the box sets at Harbor Freight but those were not the right size., this was before I got my Tomen.
    Maybe pay extra for quality screws
  15. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 12:11 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1215

    a diagram what type screws used
    for some odd reason the "grub slotted screws" are only sold in Asia, or the UK. very odd. Unless you guys find them in US, please post
    Home Depot is the lowest priced compared to Lowes, and True Value.
    Hobby Shops carry screws, but I don't have one near me to check out

    All screws are machined. meaning the threading is thin.
    the Oval head slotted screw is where you released the cylinder
    The slotted flat counterstruck screw goes inside the handle

  16. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 12:27 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1216

    size break down
    metric
    M3x10mm = wide of screw x length of screw
    inches
    5-40x3/16 = wide of screw x length of screw

    No size of the head, not sure why. But seems no matter the size, the Head goes up in size. It seems the head size does not stay the same.

    But since Screws are for water guns, and will not hold any piece in place and for esthetic, does not matter the length size, as long the screw stays in place.
    I think the grips are the only important ones.

    most screws are "Hex" unless stated otherwise

    want to make a side not on the gripe top screws. Instruction booklet states "m3x8mm" but my Tomen had "m3x6mm" screws. It seems 8mm would touch the other side screw, maybe a pre error. Maybe updated after booklet. Unless others got 8mm screws, plmk










    Last edited by Getoninja; Apr 11, 2018 at 12:32 AM.
  17. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 12:52 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1217

    the "Spacer" piece between the front barrel and magazine frame is removable and made of steel
    A metal spacer would be a nice little upgrade for your water gun.

    Found a Spacer close enough at Lowes for about $1.50 each by Hillman. only problem, Is 1mm wider and 2mm higher. The height, but can be trimmed down or hidden inside the water gun and the inside can hold the M6 screw.
    Exact size spacer can be a bit pricey on ebay.. but can be made using metal tubing.



    The Spacer is in metric and converted to inches. A Home Depot employee told me my inches could be off, plmk if wrong and what is correct
    notice the Tomen M6 screw head is lower than the different brand. Can't find Tomen M6 screw used


    Hillman brand spacer sold only at Lowes for about $1.50. Home Depot has metal spacers but are small in width
    inches converted to metric 5mmx9mmx18mm . If wrong please correct









    Last edited by Getoninja; Apr 14, 2018 at 7:53 PM.
  18. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 1:04 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1218





  19. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 1:08 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1219









  20. RPF Premium Member Krats's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2014
    From
    UK
    Messages
    147
    Apr 11, 2018, 1:30 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1220

    Getoninja said: View Post
    okay, here is what I have so far of my Tomenosuke blaster... - all the info about PKD screws you could ask for -
    That's awesome, thanks for sharing your hard work and research!
  21. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 1:35 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1221

    Tomenosuke and Water Gun are pretty damn close. Maybe Takagi used Tomen for the mold and left out some details to avoid any legal problems

    notice the rear trigger on the water gun is missing the curve











  22. Getoninja's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Messages
    604
    Apr 11, 2018, 1:41 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1222









  23. Uridium's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2013
    From
    London
    Messages
    623
    Apr 11, 2018, 3:23 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1223

    Getoninja said: View Post
    okay, here is what I have so far of my Tomenosuke blaster. if you guys have questions and need more plmk, but get busy and there could be delays
    Thanks so much for the detailed pictures. I have saved these as reference for my upcoming blaster project.
    I have a Coyle kit, but these will be incredibly useful.
  24. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2002
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Messages
    3,475
    Apr 11, 2018, 6:37 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1224

    I chose not to replacing any screws and bolts on my water gun. If I would, I would first have to build up bulk inside the hollow water gun for each bolt and head to fit into.

    Instead I have (tried to) accurize each larger Allen head screws by having drilled them up, pressed Milliput into them and then carefully imprinted first a Torque driver bit and then an Allen bit. I'll see the result first after the first layer of primer though. I let the smallest ones be, though.
    For the countersunk screws in the revolver frame, I have scored their outlines with drill bits for wood — which have spikes on the outside of the tip as well as in the centre. Once I get around to filling imperfections, I will fill the centre holes and then score a slot in those features that should have them.

    Getoninja said: View Post
    the "Spacer" piece between the front barrel and magazine frame is removable and made of steel
    A metal spacer would be a nice little upgrade for your water gun.
    The front behind the spacer on the water gun is "filled in" and some of that intersects with the spacer, so it is not a complete stand-alone cylinder. You could cut it, but then you would also have to fill on the inside to make something for the spacer to hold on to.
  25. RPF Premium Member Soulinertia's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2010
    From
    Colorado
    Messages
    4,248
    Apr 11, 2018, 3:33 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #1225

    Thanks for the comparison pics @Getoninja

Similar Threads

  1. 4 water gun to "ok" cheap Han Solo DL-44 Blaster
    Gideono, Star Wars Costumes and Props
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 6, 2017, 3:27 AM
  2. PKD - Raptor: A Concept Gun Design for Gaff
    Doppelganger01, Replica Props
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: Oct 5, 2017, 6:17 PM
  3. Deckard PKD Gun Scratchbuild
    Haystack Hair, Replica Props
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Dec 2, 2015, 5:54 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 15, 2011, 6:49 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Apr 22, 2008, 10:04 AM