Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

So if some of you who don't want to go the resin mix and BB fill/glue route and are not planing on halving the blaster then I think this solution is the essayist and all you have to do and make two cuts on the gun.

First remove the butt plate of the handle where the bottom top of the plate meets the grips, use a thin cutting saw. Then you need to cut out the half round receiver front piece above the barrel of the gun. If your going to add the pointy round finial thingy don't add it till the end before painting.

OK, with those two parts open you want to fill it, this method will give some weight but not enough to mach the real prop gun. More on that later *.
Go to Michaels, AC Moore, Dickblicks, hobbyloby, etc and pick up some Paperclay. They come in 16oz and 8oz, the 16oz should do but and extra 8oz just in case
858282_1[5].jpg

Look out for those 50% off coupons and you can get one pack for 1/2off.

Start filling the blaster with the clay. The more tightly you pack the clay the more you can get in there which should add more weight. Use chopsticks or something push inside. You can fill in small sections and let it dry but it will take a day or two for each section BUT don't bother, just fill it, it won't matter if it's not dry since it will stay packed inside and won't shift or move around and once you have it fully packed then you can let both ends dry and then figure out how to glue the butt plate back on (that's on you). And for the front part receiver, if you bought that part by avagoyamug from shapeways you can glue and add that in and paint up your blaster.

*If you want to add more weight to it to mach the OG prop then as you fill in both ends add some heavy bolts or fishing weights that are small enough for the opening and pack the clay around those. Keep adding as much until the balance and weight feels right to you.

Just my 2cents on this. That's what i'm planning on doing on my two blasters. I don't care if I add weights or not, as long as it weighs more than the plastic gun I will be happy.

probably mainly black and gunmetal with pearl white grips and ill use the orange cap as a barrel extension.

I used the orange cap for an extension; you'll get a profile like that. The pearl grips, though, THAT I want to see! How were you planning on getting the pearly look?

I wonder how these would look with an airsoft flash hider over the barrel. Maybe trim it back so it's more integrated into the gun, but
https://www.evike.com/shop/28/25/87/
You gotta admit there's some cool shapes in there, and might make some neat custom versions. And for those of you who painted your barrel, you can get orange safety plugs at that link too - think safe, think smart!

https://www.evike.com/products/73819/
Oooh, that's a unique look. Trim back the front of the gun some and blend that into it...shoot, now I REALLY need another blaster!

Im sure most people might be saying duh, but Rit dye wont dye this thing. I thought maybe I could darken it up with some black but it didnt do anything. Thanks google...paint it is!

Im sure most people might be saying duh, but Rit dye wont dye this thing. I thought maybe I could darken it up with some black but it didnt do anything. Thanks google...paint it is!
The entire gun or just the grips?

RIT dye needs heat to work but I think that heat would warp this type of plastic. There are several old threads on dyeing plastic with RIT and other brands and I have seen many complaints especially about the black RIT.
Sometimes you could get a better result with a marker but I would like to try slushing paint inside it before I try any marker or paint on the mag well.

The entire gun or just the grips?

RIT dye needs heat to work but I think that heat would warp this type of plastic. There are several old threads on dyeing plastic with RIT and other brands and I have seen many complaints especially about the black RIT.
Sometimes you could get a better result with a marker but I would like to try slushing paint inside it before I try any marker or paint on the mag well.

The gun minus grips...I went right under boiling, filled it up inside as well with the dye. Might just be the type of plastic, or I needed to go hotter.

Cool looking display stand TheSonarSuit. I have thought about making one of these for my Tomenosuke blaster (which hasn't arrived yet) but am probably gonna end up buying one of the models from Ebay.

On another note: since I've started to acquire a Tomenosuke Blaster, I have one transparent black Takagi M2019 and a complete black Takagi (with a box) lying around. If someone wants them, a PM is welcome.

Last edited:
Well I won't be separating the halfs of mine.

trying it last night I had a couple very small cracks outside the flash line. So, after nearing pooping my pants, I stopped.

I should be be able to still do quite a few mods just maybe not as many.

Here is a bit of what I have done to mine. Prepping the grip area for better grips, drilled out the muzzle and "crowned" it. Experimented with sloshing enamel paint inside and really like how it looks..plan to do it over the whole inside one the rest of the gun is finished.

22447529_10210353001448660_1707413741_n.jpg

Hindsight is 20/20
Just realised I could have done everything I planned without splitting it in half.

As my daughter says "I don't matter and it doesn't mind"

Filled the grip with air-dry clay and some threaded rod for weight.
20171012_095338.jpg

I'll be adding more clay to the main body and some thicker threaded rod. I should get it up to about 1.2kg by the time I'm done.

I almost did the same thing Stefwill

To gain access to the interior without splitting the main body in halves I thought i would just cut out the bottom of the magazine around the switch and LEDs. This will give a good sized opening to add weights inside and make it easier to fit the LEDs and wiring to the part removed.
This way I can keep everything intact.

Also to anyone thinking of removing and reusing the grips you need to know that they are very flimsy on their own and will need some underlying support. So even if you are going to insert a frame inside to replicate the bulldog you are better off filling the orange grips with clear resin or better yet recasting them.

If you do want to remove the grips i've found that the best approach is to first cut into the pins (6) as deep as you can with an exacto blade and direct any gouging down to the clear grey center frame so that any minor damage can be easily filled and sanded later but if you take care and use a fresh blade there will be little to no damage at all.
Once the pins have been cut through it is then easy to cut the grips free with a fine blade and toothpick wedges.
(there's a trick to breaking superglue bonds by putting the parts in a freezer for a while but this doesn't work on the type of glue used here and only increased brittleness of the plastic, so don't try this!)

If you want to then remove those unsightly water pump parts there's an underlying bubble/reservoir under the orange grips which will need to be removed with a dremel to get to them.

All up a tricky exercise but the key is relax, take your time and have loads of patience.

Can anyone recommend a method for building up the plastic around the edges of the mag?
20171012_134120.jpg

I plan on using magnets to hold it in place but would like structured sides.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back