Cheap PKD (Water Gun)

In this video I think the 2049 prop master says it is 1.5kg.
https://youtu.be/FqdsYn9TdWQ

Not sure if I can fit that much lead in there and still have it be balanced in any way.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I fitted as much lead (in small ingots) as I could fit into mine and still leave room for the electronics and a battery in the handle, and it finally tipped the scales at 1.2Kg. It's a little front heavy but not bad.

weights.JPG

wayouteast how are you going to handle battery swaps? If you're going to make the bottom of the grip removable, you might want to put the battery snap down at the bottom, this way you can get it on and off easier without tugging on anything. Just a thought!

Balanced is something this thing isn't going to be. No matter what, you've got a lot of weight out in front of the grip, between the weight of the revolver cylinder, the barrel, and the rifle receiver and magazine. It's a bit of a pig in real life, and Harrison Ford preferred using the rubber gun whenever possible (remember his wrist injuries in the plane crash) because of that weight.

Granted, we're not making real ones, but it is pretty bulky - I ended up adding about 4500 steel BBs to mine. It'd be the same material as the real thing, with all the air gaps and such so the density should be close. That came out to 52 ounces of weights...the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum (pictured below) runs right around 60 ounces. It's longer, beefy, but doesn't have a rifle receiver or magazine on it; being eight ounces shy of that seems about right. Just about a kilo and a half, so it's certainly in the ballpark.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/taurus_ragingjudgea0304111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After completing other projects, I have finally got around to start work on my amber grip water pistol. I wondered how I could make the grips less cheap looking and more in line with the original but I don't have experience with resin so I came up with this simple solution. I simply got a brown sharpie and coloured the inside of the grips. I then went over it lightly with some fine steel wool to blend the colour slightly. I think its quite effective.......what do you think?

BRgrip1.jpgBRgrip3.jpg

BRgrip.jpgBRgrip2.jpg

After completing other projects, I have finally got around to start work on my amber grip water pistol. I wondered how I could make the grips less cheap looking and more in line with the original but I don't have experience with resin so I came up with this simple solution. I simply got a brown sharpie and coloured the inside of the grips. I then went over it lightly with some fine steel wool to blend the colour slightly. I think its quite effective.......what do you think?

View attachment 764619View attachment 764620

View attachment 764617View attachment 764618
I think half the problem is the black handle inside. If you paint an approximation of the bulldog grip in silver it'll give the amber grips something to reflect light.

Yeah I was thinking about that so will maybe give it a try when it comes to painting.......I have some foil tape so I will cut some bulldog shapes from that and stick them to the black painted handle

View attachment 764619View attachment 764620

View attachment 764617View attachment 764618
That is really striking. Love the look.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

@wayouteast how are you going to handle battery swaps?

I built 'sockets' with small nuts into the butt so that I could detach and re-attach the butt plate using the same hex-bolt method as the original. Shown in this post earlier in the thread - https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275949&p=4307614&viewfull=1#post4307614 . And the wires for the battery are long enough to allow access to both the battery clip and the two trim-pots that control the brightness of the red and green LEDs outside the handle. :)

btw does anyone know what size the cap head screws are for the grips, the binding post and underneath the butt plate.....thanks

I built 'sockets' with small nuts into the butt so that I could detach and re-attach the butt plate using the same hex-bolt method as the original. Shown in this post earlier in the thread - https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275949&p=4307614&viewfull=1#post4307614 . And the wires for the battery are long enough to allow access to both the battery clip and the two trim-pots that control the brightness of the red and green LEDs outside the handle. :)
Figured it was a solved problem but wanted to ask! Especially on how you were getting at the battery. I've never wired anything before so the thought of doing it is daunting...I'm still back in the "spray paint smelz gud" level of crafting (and of confidence!)

I have already filled the body of the gun with gap filler using a caulk gun. it filled the gap well and adds some weight but it was a bit messy. was thinking of putting steel BB's in the grip how many did you use for that? (guestimate)

- - - Updated - - -

@wayouteast how are you going to handle battery swaps? If you're going to make the bottom of the grip removable, you might want to put the battery snap down at the bottom, this way you can get it on and off easier without tugging on anything. Just a thought!

Balanced is something this thing isn't going to be. No matter what, you've got a lot of weight out in front of the grip, between the weight of the revolver cylinder, the barrel, and the rifle receiver and magazine. It's a bit of a pig in real life, and Harrison Ford preferred using the rubber gun whenever possible (remember his wrist injuries in the plane crash) because of that weight.

Granted, we're not making real ones, but it is pretty bulky - I ended up adding about 4500 steel BBs to mine. It'd be the same material as the real thing, with all the air gaps and such so the density should be close. That came out to 52 ounces of weights...the Taurus Raging Judge Magnum (pictured below) runs right around 60 ounces. It's longer, beefy, but doesn't have a rifle receiver or magazine on it; being eight ounces shy of that seems about right. Just about a kilo and a half, so it's certainly in the ballpark.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/taurus_ragingjudgea0304111.jpg

I have already filled the body of the gun with gap filler using a caulk gun. it filled the gap well and adds some weight but it was a bit messy. was thinking of putting steel BB's in the grip how many did you use for that? (guestimate)

4500 and a few. It took three of those Umarex containers of BBs, 1500 each, and there was just a little bit of room to keep packing them in. For the grip, I think it was right around one containersworth, about 1500. Between one can of it, and some gapfilling caulk, you should be bueno. Note you'll want a little layer of superglue or caulk every one or two hundred BBs, just so they all secure. There's a couple that got loose in mine so there's a faint rattle when you pick it up - but it's not unlike having loose ammo in a real revolver, so I'm okay with it. I should note I didn't split mine; I poured in through the barrel opening and cut out the "light" part on the bottom to reach the rest of it. I was already going to fab over the rail mount for the flashlight, so I wasn't losing any detail or anything.

I'll probably split a second one, amber grips, though...that Gaff shotgun is giving me ideas for maybe making a side-by-side with the grip and rifle-receiver of one of these waterguns, and then just layered on parts. A lupara just seems the right kind of gun for Gaff, in all honesty. Certainly be unique!

The red/orange/brown Sharpie trick works well for the grips (I remember one of our member here or Propsummit tried that years ago with great success)

I dunno, that's just off for me. The canon weapon is energy based and the live fire one used a revolver for practical reasons while the replicas merely copied the original. To make it officially use metallic cartridges as suggested by issue ammo is just weird plus the fact officer K fires it more than 5 times without seemingly reloading in the new film. Unless the box is also large enough to contain a Steyr SL mag?

Traditional cartridges are pretty common with most of the blaster collections I've seen. .44 Special being the most widely accepted since that's the caliber the Charter Arms Bulldog is in. Even the Tomenosuke comes with dummy rounds.

bhjXxQB.jpg

I pulled the "LAPD" artwork from some of the props that were on display for the new movie.

I forgot one additional detail:

Y9oCHIp.jpg

I came across an official vintage Steyr die and had it shipped from Germany. Makes for a great wax seal!

I was very much inspired by @
brandomack. and his great ammo box design.

bhjXxQB.jpg

Y9oCHIp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'm officially going to call this one done with these two photos. I'm down to trying to fix tiny painting errors and my hands shake like southern california when I try to do detail work. Either I flub it one way or another, so it's time to stop.
pkd 6 point 5.jpgpkd 7.jpgpkd 8.jpg
And yes, as the picture shows that's a real Surefire; couldn't resist doing it because it actually works. All told, FUN BUILD! And a gun I never thought I'd get to own in an acceptably final look, even customized just so mine can be unique and special and I'm a pretty snowflake LOL.

Thanks for all the commentary in the thread, it really made me think on how to do this! You guys are all inspirations!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back