Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Dec 2016
    1 Day Ago  Aug 18, 2017, 11:08 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #351

to add weight to my prop guns, I have always used elmers glue in stages with Lead Shot or BB's. Sometimes rolls of Penny's in Nerf Guns. But everything I have made has always been opaque plastic or painted. Not sure how it would look with the amber grips. I plan on painting one of my Silver/Blue ones with a wood grip. I will fill it with elmers and see if it dries translucent. I might try the clear elmers in the Grip.
    From
    Scotland
    1 Day Ago  Aug 18, 2017, 11:44 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #352

Something to bear in mind - the grip area is a bit of a maze of different compartments, and even with very runny clear resin, it was quite tricky filling each segment. You have to twist the blaster around in all directions to make sure the resin runs into each segment. If you were to try using a thicker fluid, I'm not sure that it would work. It would probably just get to the first “junction” and clog up.
    1 Day Ago  Aug 18, 2017, 12:26 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #353

Candykiller said: View Post
    Something to bear in mind - the grip area is a bit of a maze of different compartments, and even with very runny clear resin, it was quite tricky filling each segment. You have to twist the blaster around in all directions to make sure the resin runs into each segment. If you were to try using a thicker fluid, I'm not sure that it would work. It would probably just get to the first “junction” and clog up.
    Yea that's what I was noticing with the sealant, the first sign of resistance it just bunches up. I think resin would be the superior choice. But for those who have never used it or are working on a budget there's probably another way. I like the clear elmers idea as a quick cheap alternative and might give that a try soon.

Also I dig the paint job on yours man, very sharp.
  4. Member Since
    Jul 2017
    1 Day Ago  Aug 18, 2017, 4:23 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #354

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_224729.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	752921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170817_224936.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	752922followed Candykiller's painting method.
    From
    Florida
    18 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 8:05 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #355

Amazing work being done on these. Congrats to you all. I'd pick one up but they seem difficult to find.

Just a suggestion on the filler idea.
    Ive used Liquid nails in the past and it's quite runny out of the tube, then hardens up. Hopefully that haven't changed the formula.
    Just my two cents.
  6. Member Since
    Oct 2016
    18 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 8:37 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #356

Well, with a combination of extra-fine razor saw, a Dremel with a fine saw blade and extreme fear I have managed to get my blaster apart with little or no damage to the halves! It's NOT easy and requires quite a lot of prising and hoping for the best, particularly around the top of the grips and the triggers. Needs a bit of clean up around the cut edge still, but I'm pretty confident that it'll go back together fine and with a bit of filling and sanding will be perfect again - there was no visible cracking and most of the detail is either retained or can be re-done.

Name:	blaster-taken-apart.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,009.6 KB 
ID:	753055

I've started playing with the location of the innards. My original plan for the electronics and battery access was to have the magazine removable and held in place with small magnets. But I'm inclining now to keeping the magazine intact (it'll be REALLY hard to cut it out without damaging the small detail there) and running the 7 LEDs from a PP3 9v battery in the handle, accessed through the butt plate, as that's a far easier structure to detach from the gun and have removable.

I'm going to be using lead to add weight. I've got a few ingots lying around and will just chop them up and epoxy them in place wherever I can fit them. It's a pity that the battery will be going in the handgrip as that would be an ideal place for the biggest ingot! But I'm sure I can find room for around 1Kg of weighting somewhere, I also want to try and mimic as best I can the structure that's barely visible through the grips. Haven't quite worked out how that will all work around the battery / weights yet!

Name:	first-fit-weights-electronics-2.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	753056

But it's on the way. The big risk was getting it apart, so now that's done everything else is doable, I think, with a bit of experimentation! Haven't even thought about painting yet so you guys are all way ahead of me!
  7. RPF Premium Member spiderfan11's Avatar
    From
    Milwaukee, WI
    15 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 11:19 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #357

Here's mine to throw in the ring:

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	753087Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	753088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	753089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	753090
    15 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 11:35 AM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #358

wayouteast said: View Post
    Well, with a combination of extra-fine razor saw, a Dremel with a fine saw blade and extreme fear I have managed to get my blaster apart with little or no damage to the halves! It's NOT easy and requires quite a lot of prising and hoping for the best, particularly around the top of the grips and the triggers. Needs a bit of clean up around the cut edge still, but I'm pretty confident that it'll go back together fine and with a bit of filling and sanding will be perfect again - there was no visible cracking and most of the detail is either retained or can be re-done.

Name:	blaster-taken-apart.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,009.6 KB 
ID:	753055

I've started playing with the location of the innards. My original plan for the electronics and battery access was to have the magazine removable and held in place with small magnets. But I'm inclining now to keeping the magazine intact (it'll be REALLY hard to cut it out without damaging the small detail there) and running the 7 LEDs from a PP3 9v battery in the handle, accessed through the butt plate, as that's a far easier structure to detach from the gun and have removable.

I'm going to be using lead to add weight. I've got a few ingots lying around and will just chop them up and epoxy them in place wherever I can fit them. It's a pity that the battery will be going in the handgrip as that would be an ideal place for the biggest ingot! But I'm sure I can find room for around 1Kg of weighting somewhere, I also want to try and mimic as best I can the structure that's barely visible through the grips. Haven't quite worked out how that will all work around the battery / weights yet!

Name:	first-fit-weights-electronics-2.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	753056

But it's on the way. The big risk was getting it apart, so now that's done everything else is doable, I think, with a bit of experimentation! Haven't even thought about painting yet so you guys are all way ahead of me!
    Cool cool cool cool, I'm pretty jealous you got yours open. I was not early brave enough to try it. Very excited to see how this turns out!
    From
    Scotland
    11 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 3:17 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #359

Well, with a combination of extra-fine razor saw, a Dremel with a fine saw blade and extreme fear I have managed to get my blaster apart with little or no damage to the halves!
    Nice work taking it apart! It’s interesting seeing the inside of the grip area, it felt like there were more plastic dividing walls in there when i filled mine with resin. It must have just been the top area that was tricky to get the resin to flow into. It’s useful to get a sense of the layout of the inside for my next attempt at resin pouring. (I have another water gun in the post)

Good luck with the rest of your build.
  10. I pee excellence. RPF Premium Member Win7ermute's Avatar
    From
    Western Canada
    10 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 4:51 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #360

Well, with a combination of extra-fine razor saw, a Dremel with a fine saw blade and extreme fear I have managed to get my blaster apart with little or no damage to the halves!
    You are a true trail-blazer sir! You've done a man's work.
  11. RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    10 Hours Ago  Aug 19, 2017, 4:53 PM - Re: Cheap PKD (Water Gun) #361

My original plan for the electronics and battery access was to have the magazine removable and held in place with small magnets. But I'm inclining now to keeping the magazine intact (it'll be REALLY hard to cut it out without damaging the small detail there) and ...
    I don't have anything to compare with other than images, but I think that the bottom of the mag has been modified to not have any undercuts compared to the real part.
    I think therefore that maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the edges were cut.
    Then the existing bottom could be just glued at the bottom of a scratch-built box, more or less, the box being large enough to slide into a box inside the mag well built for it.