USCM M-10 Helmet build

Malphas

After some years I finally put in an order to Spat and let me start with his service is everything I've heard about him. Great to deal with.

I had the bucket already and got the full helmet kit from Spat. I wanted to put it together and paint it myself. Everything looked great on arrival.
20170414_073238_zpslb6m9dxg.jpg

Will update with progress.

I started with the camera. Got my Pentax lens and it fits in perfectly.Drilled holes for the screws. And I'm sure it has something to do with the molding process but the camera body had a texture on it. Not a big deal but all the Cameras I've seen are smooth and I like that look better so a little fine grit sandpaper and it looks better to me. Needs a little more work but paint and new knobs are next.
20170425_182758_zpsv7pvbqda.jpg

20170425_182823_zpshr0fqzmk.jpg

Tried to take some decent pictures. Camera is done for now. I have to figure out the front lobe plate before I decide where to mount it. And I want to make a working camera like another member on here but need to get the parts first.

Great project!

Cutting the gap on the side for the ear defender can be a real pain, so make sure you only have to cut once by having someone else help mark the side of the helmet. If done correctly it will allow the ear cup to match your ear when the chin strap is fastened.

You can get a pretty good match to the helmet band for cheap on eBay. I grabbed a couple from a Chinese vendor and they arrived quickly and look the part.

Great project!

Cutting the gap on the side for the ear defender can be a real pain, so make sure you only have to cut once by having someone else help mark the side of the helmet. If done correctly it will allow the ear cup to match your ear when the chin strap is fastened.

You can get a pretty good match to the helmet band for cheap on eBay. I grabbed a couple from a Chinese vendor and they arrived quickly and look the part.

Thanks for the tip. I don't actually have a liner and don't plan on trooping so I'm doing something different with the padding. I'm pretty much making my own stylized padding the way a real world helmet would be. Kinda like Storm Trooper Buckets have been done. Anyway I finished the mic boom. Used a busted guitar cable for the rear and a spat mic tip. The boom can still move in the ear defender until it's placed on the helmet.

I took the plunge with the bucket and cut into her. I lost the original strap hinge bit. I made my own and I think it will work better. Same idea but this one has more surface area so better seal? Just did a ghetto solder weld. It will be covered so no biggie.

Man....I remember cutting into that lid. Not an easy task, hard as hell. Is the drop down eye piece one of spats?

Anyway, its a fun build and your killing it!

Boy it's been awhile. Not only on this project but also since I've been here. This was put on the back burner until I happened to randomly stumble on a liner at a pawn shop. Got it for a killer deal so now I'm motivated again to continue.

Attachments

• 20200822_194231.jpg
    20200822_194231.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 100
  • 20200822_194320.jpg
    20200822_194320.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 101
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back