PropStore Y-Wing

Hi all,

As stated above, this is a smaller Y-wing than the ones referenced above. It is indeed about 12" in length and as noted above is detailed as a "sister" model to one that remains in the archives collection.

The model is built around a brass tube and has a removable plate at the back with a threaded mounting support. There are lights in the engine and small brass posts on the top of the body for wires to be connected to power them. It may have been built as a one-off for a specific shot or sequence for ROJ.

Very best,
Brandon

Perhaps a forced perspective shot where the Y-wing was in the background and X-wing in the foreground. Such as in the following clip:

Scroll to about 4:30.

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
While large models are cool for close-ups and detail shots (not to mention arguing over greeblies and kit parts), they are hard to deal with when you need them to be zipping by and going from a close-up all the way back to infinity. Not sure how long the Vistacruiser track was, but it was definitely a problem on Star Wars with some shots. Also, with so many ship elements needed for so many shots, it makes perfect sense to have multiple sizes for foreground, mid-ground, and background if only from a stage shooting efficiency aspect.

Gene

Back to the value.....unless you can pick it out in a frame and positively identify it on screen I just do not see it brining what they are projecting. On the other hand, some people just have money to throw around and I guess it could get caught up in a bidding war. I think I will stick with my salzo and keep my 401k safe and sound :)

Back to the value.....unless you can pick it out in a frame and positively identify it on screen I just do not see it brining what they are projecting. On the other hand, some people just have money to throw around and I guess it could get caught up in a bidding war. I think I will stick with my salzo and keep my 401k safe and sound :)

I agree. 100 - 150K for a second or two of screen time (If there is any proof of that!) is just not realistic to expect. But I may eat my words if some rich guy decides to buy a 12" model with questionable heritage. :p

TazMan2000

...Not sure how long the Vistacruiser track was...

80 feet. You'd think with that much space and a 24mm lens they could get far enough back from the standard model to make it work, but there could be several variables involved. Maybe they just had to do shots when the 'cruiser was occupied and making a smaller model made sense.

Yes, that price is ridiculous. On the other hand, original Star Wars models are extremely rare, and we can be certain the Archives won't be having a garage sale. Some people just want a piece of history, no matter what the cost.

I saw this model at Celebration and wondered where it came from too, but I didn't ask. Glad you guys know more about this... it's really interesting to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, does anyone have details on the length and width of an actual Y-Wing? I know I have read that they are 23.4m but I wanna know if you all think that is accurate or not?

There are conflicting websites that report both 23.4 metres and 16 metres. I had a discussion with a guy before on this and because he said that the 23.4 length appeared on an official SW site (which there are several and most of those don't agree) that was the actual length. Perhaps the confusion is because of the Clone Wars Y-wing which was much longer that the Episode IV one.

I think there are discrepancies on almost all scale models. Some even say the actual full scale sets could not be considered the correct length because of the inaccuracies in the set design.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back