Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

doctorDWwho

Sr Member
Hey everyone!! So I decided this thread could be good after semi-commandeering Jumpman2315 's thread. This can be used for homemade suits from all of the movies (okay okay, I know all of Tobey and Andrews suits were homemade. You know what I mean). Anyway, here's what I have so far: 20170415_153310-1.jpg20170415_194229.jpg You can follow me on instagram @dr.john_smith for more frequent updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Homemade Spidey Suits Show Off/Open Build Thread

Hey everyone!! So I decided this thread could be good after semi-commandeering @Jumpman2315 's thread. This can be used for homemade suits from all of the movies (okay okay, I know all of Tobey and Andrews suits were homemade. You know what I mean). Anyway, here's what I have so far: View attachment 721545View attachment 721546 You can follow me on instagram @dr.john_smith for more frequent updates.

Very nice! Are those the metal discs you ordered from Amazon?

I put together a quick Homemade suit for C2E2 after one of my other plans fell through. Really happy with how it turned out (much love to Amazon Prime!). Here's a few shots from before/during the con (I wore it on Saturday).
bU3wtSv.jpg 7fNEbvQ.jpg pavG9zj.jpg

The hoodie is a red Hanes one that I bought on clearance at Target and sliced the sleeves off. I freehanded the logo on a piece of cardboard, which I cut out and used this stencil and fabric spray paint. The logo and hoodie definitely have room for improvement. For version 2 I plan on getting a slimmer fitting sleeveless hoodie off Amazon. If anyone has a more accurate file of the homemade logo (or would be willing to whip one up for me) shoot me a message.
uyNS4xR.jpg Q51SaNM.jpg
The pants are RVCA Men's Hitcher Sunwash Pants in Aruba Blue. They're the closest color match I've found to the screen-used ones. The blue under sweatshirt is a Gildan Men's Fleece Crewneck Sweatshirt in Carolina Blue. While not an exact match with the pants (it's a very teeny bit more vibrant), they're both close enough that I was satisfied with the results and you can't really tell in the pictures.

The shoes are Vans Iso 1.5s. These are not at all screen accurate but at this point I was pressed for time and bought them anyway. The color and form factor are both really good for this suit, and they were pretty comfortable to walk around in for an entire day. I might end up keeping these for version two as I honestly love these shoes.

The socks are TCK Prosports Tube Socks in Red. They're a tad thin and don't have the thick ridge at the top like the screen used ones, so I'm looking to update these as well.

For the gloves I used Contraband Black Label 5050 Basic Weight Lifting Gloves in Red, and did the web pattern with some black puffy paint I already had at home. The goggles are Hobart 770096 Welding Oxy-Acetylene Goggles with Sparks 50mm Perforated Steel Mesh Replacement Lenses in white. The mesh replacement lenses do rattle a bit if put in the lens caps by themselves (as opposed to them + the clear plastic discs included with the goggles), however, once I glued black craft foam onto them to simulate the "shutters", the rattling was not an issue and the breathability is great with no fogging. The mask is a red SecondSkin 2Face Solid Spandex Mask. The material is a tad thin and a bit loose in the neck, so I am exploring options to replace it. During construction I kept running into the issue of the neck of the mask riding up and exposing my skin, so to combat that I attached small velcro pieces to the bottom of the neck and the collar of the blue sweatshirt to keep it in place.
tXWZ7qC.jpg
The webshooters are definitely going to be replaced, but I'm super proud of them. Going off the few images of them, I sanded the logo off some Jenga blocks, which I then spraypainted silver, puffy painted some of the detail, and attached them to red iCraft 3-Inch Wide by 2-Yard Colored Woven Elastic Band that I fashioned into wristbands. I also used spraypainted straws for the nozzles. Very basic and rushed, but happy with how they came out.
q8w1CRf.jpg kV02cnx.jpg

This suit is going to be a constant ongoing project for me, as it can be worked on for relatively cheaply and it's a pretty good back-up cosplay.

I put together a quick Homemade suit for C2E2 after one of my other plans fell through. Really happy with how it turned out (much love to Amazon Prime!). Here's a few shots from before/during the con (I wore it on Saturday).
View attachment 724019 View attachment 724020 View attachment 724021

The hoodie is a red Hanes one that I bought on clearance at Target and sliced the sleeves off. I freehanded the logo on a piece of cardboard, which I cut out and used this stencil and fabric spray paint. The logo and hoodie definitely have room for improvement. For version 2 I plan on getting a slimmer fitting sleeveless hoodie off Amazon. If anyone has a more accurate file of the homemade logo (or would be willing to whip one up for me) shoot me a message.
View attachment 724022 View attachment 724023
The pants are RVCA Men's Hitcher Sunwash Pants in Aruba Blue. They're the closest color match I've found to the screen-used ones. The blue under sweatshirt is a Gildan Men's Fleece Crewneck Sweatshirt in Carolina Blue. While not an exact match with the pants (it's a very teeny bit more vibrant), they're both close enough that I was satisfied with the results and you can't really tell in the pictures.

The shoes are Vans Iso 1.5s. These are not at all screen accurate but at this point I was pressed for time and bought them anyway. The color and form factor are both really good for this suit, and they were pretty comfortable to walk around in for an entire day. I might end up keeping these for version two as I honestly love these shoes.

The socks are TCK Prosports Tube Socks in Red. They're a tad thin and don't have the thick ridge at the top like the screen used ones, so I'm looking to update these as well.

For the gloves I used Contraband Black Label 5050 Basic Weight Lifting Gloves in Red, and did the web pattern with some black puffy paint I already had at home. The goggles are Hobart 770096 Welding Oxy-Acetylene Goggles with Sparks 50mm Perforated Steel Mesh Replacement Lenses in white. The mesh replacement lenses do rattle a bit if put in the lens caps by themselves (as opposed to them + the clear plastic discs included with the goggles), however, once I glued black craft foam onto them to simulate the "shutters", the rattling was not an issue and the breathability is great with no fogging. The mask is a red SecondSkin 2Face Solid Spandex Mask. The material is a tad thin and a bit loose in the neck, so I am exploring options to replace it. During construction I kept running into the issue of the neck of the mask riding up and exposing my skin, so to combat that I attached small velcro pieces to the bottom of the neck and the collar of the blue sweatshirt to keep it in place.
View attachment 724050
The webshooters are definitely going to be replaced, but I'm super proud of them. Going off the few images of them, I sanded the logo off some Jenga blocks, which I then spraypainted silver, puffy painted some of the detail, and attached them to red iCraft 3-Inch Wide by 2-Yard Colored Woven Elastic Band that I fashioned into wristbands. I also used spraypainted straws for the nozzles. Very basic and rushed, but happy with how they came out.
View attachment 724051 View attachment 724052

This suit is going to be a constant ongoing project for me, as it can be worked on for relatively cheaply and it's a pretty good back-up cosplay.
you are a really fast maker!

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

IMG_5450.JPG

I scratch-built one of the boxes for my web shooters a few weeks ago from styrene. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, but I might end up making it again just slightly bigger. I'm ultimately going to make a mold of these and cold-cast them with aluminum powder for my web shooters.

Last edited:
View attachment 724019 View attachment 724020 View attachment 724021

View attachment 724022 View attachment 724023

View attachment 724050
View attachment 724051 View attachment 724052

first awesome suit!
second, how did the crowd react? did people like it? ask for pics?
third, here's mine but I assume most of y'all have seen it already
IMG_4676.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first awesome suit!
second, how did the crowd react? did people like it? ask for pics?
third, here's mine but I assume most of y'all have seen it already
View attachment 727737

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! People thought it was really cool. Surprisingly a lot of people were able to place it as the Homemade Homecoming suit and not Scarlet Spider, which I've heard about. Didn't get stopped by as many people as when I was wearing my PS4 Spidey suit, though.

IMG_7012.JPG

Screenshot_2017-05-21-09-07-06-1.pngNew pic, taken from AABC1999 's instagram story. It gives a much better view of the hoodie, maybe enough to even ID it? Also the pants and shirt. Are they custom? It wouldn't really make sense, but I've never seen anything like these. This pic really makes me happy with how much gloves turned out, though!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back