Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

IMG_0426.jpgIMG_0430.jpg

My Homecoming Spidey Suit so far! I bought a hoodie and just readjusted it but I made the long-sleeve and the pants since it's a bit hard to find matching colors online (note that the colors are actually lighter in real-life. My kitchen lights definitely alter the shade). I'm planning to wear this to SDCC, given it's not insanely hot this year, but I still need to make a few adjustments. I'm probably going to redo the logo (do you think putting it in the washing machine would be a viable option?) and I'm still debating whether I should use a Zentai mask or go for a more screen accurate look with the fabric he's using (although Zentai material is easier to breathe in). I used red Toms for the shoes and then for the web shooters, I used craft foam that I sealed with Mod Podge and spray painted red, and then I bought cheap USBs from Daiso and painted it silver. Super happy with what I have so far and hopefully I can have everything finalize by SDCC!

Made a new mold for the cartridges, it's not perfect but it's better than my first attempt. Pulled a bunch of casts today. Also finished the main web shooter piece and started work on the nozzle. Threw together a mock-up and test-fit, I'm REALLY pleased with how it's turning out.

IMG_6544.JPGIMG_6545.JPGIMG_6548.JPG

Made a new mold for the cartridges, it's not perfect but it's better than my first attempt. Pulled a bunch of casts today. Also finished the main web shooter piece and started work on the nozzle. Threw together a mock-up and test-fit, I'm REALLY pleased with how it's turning out.

View attachment 738930View attachment 738931View attachment 738934

Those are coming together really well! I pulled some pictures to try and help with the main shooter. I hope these help! Really looking forward to the outcome!

813cad9b4bff64d83613a911d8a798b0.png

6fc632ca390a64fde731cf7eeffa0e52.png

57aceafcd039a0bcd56c98901e422d2f.png
de39a6839ffa0d40198d653b06ad283c.png
5f7c1c335ef211f78524fcc6a4e3a609.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'm really happy with the progress. And thanks for the photos, I've already got all of those haha :lol

Does anyone have any good dimensions for the webshooters? The sweatbands I found are 3" wide, which means the cartridges would be 3" long and about an inch wide, but with 5 cartridges on it total, my wrist is too scrawny to fit them all on :lol Is my math off, or am I gonna have to pad out those bands somehow?

Does anyone have any good dimensions for the webshooters? The sweatbands I found are 3" wide, which means the cartridges would be 3" long and about an inch wide, but with 5 cartridges on it total, my wrist is too scrawny to fit them all on :lol Is my math off, or am I gonna have to pad out those bands somehow?

I made my cartridges about 7cm (the length of the sweatbands) long and 2.3cm wide. I have really scrawny wrists too and they all fit just fine. I'll be offering kits of my webshooters/cartridges soon if you are interested.

I made my cartridges about 7cm (the length of the sweatbands) long and 2.3cm wide. I have really scrawny wrists too and they all fit just fine. I'll be offering kits of my webshooters/cartridges soon if you are interested.

That's certainly reassuring, thank you! I probably would go in for yours, but part of my goal with this project is to get a feel for styrene.

I got a moderately cleaner shot of the trigger from the same teaser that Fett did, and it's, um...pretty intimidating. I'd even go so far as to call it needlessly complicated, but I guess that's our problem :D
spider-man homecoming webshooters reference photo trigger.png

I don't have a great front camera, but here's mine! I'm still working on the web shooter triggers and the wires & panels that go on the goggles, but other than that I'm basically done! If you'll notice, the blue shirt and pants don't match as well as the socks and the shoes but I don't think I'll change anything about this suit (other than the mask and web shooters when we get better references) just to get an authentic "homemade" look.

vlcsnap-2017-06-27-17h30m02s301.pngvlcsnap-2017-06-27-17h30m39s938.pngvlcsnap-2017-06-27-17h31m12s556.pngvlcsnap-2017-06-27-17h31m17s779.png

most of the details were washed out in the pics... darn front cam! I'll post some more pics with a better camera once I have someone who can help me out!

That's certainly reassuring, thank you! I probably would go in for yours, but part of my goal with this project is to get a feel for styrene.

I got a moderately cleaner shot of the trigger from the same teaser that Fett did, and it's, um...pretty intimidating. I'd even go so far as to call it needlessly complicated, but I guess that's our problem :D
View attachment 739155

I understand. Making them from scratch has been a great learning experience in styrene for me. It's probably my favorite material to work with.

As for the trigger...yeah, I'm not even going to try to attempt it until we have more reference/someone sources the parts. I agree, it looks needlessly complicated haha

I noticed that the blue parts of the homecoming onesie looks tight. So I was wondering, would it be possible to replace it with a sky-blue zentai???

I noticed that the blue parts of the homecoming onesie looks tight. So I was wondering, would it be possible to replace it with a sky-blue zentai???

I mean you could but your result would look more like a inverse colored scarlet spider with that fabric. On my blue bits I tailored my shirt to be tight on my arms while the pants came pretty form fitting already all I had to do was trim off a bit of the legs so they weren't so baggy. I chose the ones I did because I wanted to achieve the same look the movie suits fabric did and I think I succeeded in that haha

I know what you are talking about. My point was that using a zentai woud be easier for the colors to match and it would be easy to find. But I changed my mind after seeing this fail.PNGNo seriously wtf...
I mean you could but your result would look more like a inverse colored scarlet spider with that fabric. On my blue bits I tailored my shirt to be tight on my arms while the pants came pretty form fitting already all I had to do was trim off a bit of the legs so they weren't so baggy. I chose the ones I did because I wanted to achieve the same look the movie suits fabric did and I think I succeeded in that haha

btw good point about the scarlet spider thing, never thought of that :D

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back