Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

Hey guys what if I did a thread for if the MCU spiderman didn't get the stark tech suit back. The mark2 homemade suit and so on. Until he has the perfect suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you work on the set of the film? — Not asking in a snarky way, I'm just going to be a stubborn ass and stick with my theory of a practical mechanism until proven otherwise:) (which if you did work on set, alrighty then.) Everyone thought BB-8 was CGI because it looked impossible to be practical.

This is all mostly based on the layered shutters in this up close of the photo, along with the side view of the photo earlier on. And because I don't remember that shot in the film.View attachment 754625
I've gone through every single piece of set photos and behind the scenes footage out there, Even pictures of the homemade suit up close in exhibits to where I have a pretty solid idea of what fabric they even used for the blue parts of the suit and just how custom they are, In my research I have found absolutely no way that those eyes could be mechanized. The area you are looking at for putting any sort of mechanism is about 2 inches wide, 2 inches tall, and maybe half an inch deep while being all up on your face. In the movie tom didn't have a faceshell for the homemade suit, it was just a mask and goggles with swappable lenses for better visibility. and motion tracking. You also have to take into account, what would be the benefit of making a physical mechanism for something so small that would be overlayed with CG anyway? I don't think that they were physical mechanisms and that it would even be possible to make such a thing

Hey guys what if I did a thread for if the MCU spiderman didn't get the stark tech suit back. The mark2 homemade suit and so on. Until he has the perfect suit.
That's a great idea! I'd love to see that, post a link once you create the thread. :)

Fett202, yknow what they say, never say never. ;) Everyone was 100% certain that BB-8 would be impossible to build as a practical effect, yet look how wrong we all were. Unless someone worked on the set, or knows/has spoken to someone who did, it's impossible to "confirm" anything. I for one am willing to keep an open mind until more information comes to light that can prove for certain one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone through every single piece of set photos and behind the scenes footage out there, Even pictures of the homemade suit up close in exhibits to where I have a pretty solid idea of what fabric they even used for the blue parts of the suit and just how custom they are, In my research I have found absolutely no way that those eyes could be mechanized. The area you are looking at for putting any sort of mechanism is about 2 inches wide, 2 inches tall, and maybe half an inch deep while being all up on your face. In the movie tom didn't have a faceshell for the homemade suit, it was just a mask and goggles with swappable lenses for better visibility. and motion tracking. You also have to take into account, what would be the benefit of making a physical mechanism for something so small that would be overlayed with CG anyway? I don't think that they were physical mechanisms and that it would even be possible to make such a thing

I agree. At the moment, it's not physically possible to fit a mechanism that does so much into something that's so small.

That's a great idea! I'd love to see that, post a link once you create the thread. :)

@Fett202, yknow what they say, never say never. ;) Everyone was 100% certain that BB-8 would be impossible to build as a practical effect, yet look how wrong we all were. Unless someone worked on the set, or knows/has spoken to someone who did, it's impossible to "confirm" anything. I for one am willing to keep an open mind until more information comes to light that can prove for certain one way or the other.

Well for the most part in TFA anytime BB8 is on screen he is being puppeteered by a guy in a full green suit with a green pole attached to BB8 giving the main body of the ball full 360 degree motion and the head full motion around the body. The red carpet droid only rolls on a 180 degree, you will never see the panels to the left and right of the head roll on the ground. While yes it was possible it's not exactly what we saw. Same can be said for the homemade goggles, it could be possible to rig up a limited range of motion for a squinty 4 shutter lens, or even a slight squint 6 shutter. But it is physically impossible to make a set of goggles that could go from an open 6 shutter to squint then transform into a 4 shutter with full open and squint range. Anything that could be done would require a very bulky very uncomfortable rig under the mask, to which I think is almost not worth it considering how little space someone has in there. Every fan made mechanism I've seen has had little to no motion and looks bulkier than it should. Imo, looks kind of tacky considering how small and contained it should be.

I'm not sure if I'm on the correct thread, but for spiderman suits and other full-body suits in general, there is always the debate of removeable vs. attached masks/boots/gloves (convenience vs. screen accuracy/aesthetics respectively). Has anyone every experimented with putting rare-earth magnets or something similar in the hems of a removeable mask and neck? Anyone ever experimented with possible solutions to this aesthetic problem?

Last edited:
Cut off the sleeves. A problem I ran into was the arm holes were huge so I hand sewed them to be tighter. Today I stenciled the spider body in sharpie. I hand drew the legs which were not that hard. The sharpie on fleece texture is so cool. I need to weather the hoodie a few holes and ruffing up the fabric

51da535ba43e560b430195941e79124e.jpg

The lenses are CGI, the photo above is from a exhibit in Japan and has to make it presentable. Unless you want to see a hollow one like the photo below. You can't assume anything that is based on 1 photo you found on the internet. There might be practical versions of the lenses while filming but pretty sure they aren't mechanised.
The reason that photo grabbed my attention was that it didn't seem to be made presentable. You can see there are are a few layers, yet they are hidden by the top layer. Why make it multi-layered for presentation if you're just going to cover the other layers up? That's why I thought it might be possible it was a screen-used mechanism. But, of course, I could be wrong— I just don't think we should completely dismiss the possibility.

The14thDr beat me to it.
While I could be wrong, until we have someone who worked on set confirm they definitely were CGI 100% of the time, I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that there was some practical movie magic going on with those eyes. The mechanism doesn't have to be in the mask— like it could work like a bike break, and that tubing on the side might be more than just decoration– maybe it doesn't function like a proper shutter mechanism, but is made to look like one—not suggesting either of those are the way it works, but the bulk of the mechanism operating the eyes could be on another part of the suit.

My example about BB-8 wasn't about how there was zero CGI on BB-8 in the movie (because I know there was) but that everyone thought BB-8 was 100% CGI because making a practical droid like that seemed impossible— until we saw one roll out on stage. They didn't use that for the movie because they didn't develop it in time, but I hear they'll be using the new (upgraded from the red carpet) prop for the next film.

Not saying the lenses were definitely totally practical 100% of the time— I'm just saying keep an open mind. We can't confirm anything right now because we were't on the inside, we can only speculate.

My example about BB-8 wasn't about how there was zero CGI on BB-8 in the movie (because I know there was) but that everyone thought BB-8 was 100% CGI because making a practical droid like that seemed impossible— until we saw one roll out on stage. They didn't use that for the movie because they didn't develop it in time, but I hear they'll be using the new (upgraded from the red carpet) prop for the next film.

Not saying the lenses were definitely totally practical 100% of the time— I'm just saying keep an open mind. We can't confirm anything right now because we were't on the inside, we can only speculate.

Dude, have you watch the behind the scenes for TFA? They did not use the remote control BB8 because it slides around uncontrollably especially in sand. And having a puppeteer helps a lot in expressing feelings as well.

There are things that can't be speculated and sometimes you have to be logical on how things work.

Here's a really really really rough prototype of my own eye mechanism. It has it's problems—it's a bit smaller than the frame and the bottom shutter gets jammed a lot due to some shoddy glueing—but it still fits/screws into the goggles and works pretty well.

I need to get better at cutting styrene— and welding it. And I need some thinner styrene sheets for the "shutters"

I originally had two more shutters (one more on the top, one more on the bottom) but one of the shutters broke during a test. I decided to make it even, and figured it was a good enough proof of concept.

Dude, have you watch the behind the scenes for TFA? They did not use the remote control BB8 because it slides around uncontrollably especially in sand. And having a puppeteer helps a lot in expressing feelings as well.

There are things that can't be speculated and sometimes you have to be logical on how things work.
Yes, I have seen the behind the scenes. I also dug around and read a lot of articles surrounding why the remote controlled BB-8 wasn't used at all in the film (and if it was, I know it wouldn't have been exclusively used), and the ones who created it said in an interview it was because they didn't have the time to develop it. Sand I can understand, but it didn't look like it slid around uncontrollably on stage or on the red carpet.

Dude, that's the definition of speculation. Coming to conclusions from logic rather than evidence is speculation.

But my point throughout this is this: keep an open mind. But we can drop this if you want to agree to disagree on the possibility of a practical set of lenses.

@ 14thdoctor

Just thinking out loud right now I'm broke so I need to earn the money to make it and according to my parents they would like it to be 50$ or less

f46dc3f9ec7df5ffbeb829ddadfe7a18.jpg

I'm sorry to you hardcore RPF members but I'm not going to go as close to the movie the trigger since I don't have a free accurate way to completely make the webshooters, I'm going to improvise I'll still put the circular button on the end. My WS are going to take elements from the concept ones.

I have my 3d printed goggles. Do you recommend I create a strap for them or just protrude them thru the mask and glue them into place? What are others doing?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back