Homemade Spidey Suits: Show Off/Open Build Thread

So I'm working on a revised mask pattern, I have a ton of great pictures of the screen used mask on several different mannequins and on Holland himself. My V1 was good, but I'm confident my V2 will be much better and more accurate. If it works out and people like my end result, I may start doing a run or two of my mask
f42b15673315844cc45189e7aee4c257.jpg

2a7c6a9e2f8acb28e77aab2726dfd11a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but does anybody else think the lenses are practical?

I originally thought it was CGI, but then I saw this in a behind the scenes clip.
[video=vimeo;231218802]https://vimeo.com/231218802/a3cf2e6b8e[/video]

*EDIT* Trying to figure out gifs, linking to vimeo instead

Attachments

• Practical-lenses-.jpg
    Practical-lenses-.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Na they're not practical the range of emotions isn't able to be in one mask, also if Marvel doesn't think the regular spidey suits eyes should be practical the goggles are not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na they're not practical the range of emotions isn't able to be in one mask, also if Marvel doesn't think the regular spidey suits eyes should be practical the goggles are not

I dunno, I think they're practical. the Stark suit makes sense since the lenses are thin and tight up against the face shell, while the goggles have a bit more wiggle room.

In the up close photo from a few pages ago you can see the layers of the black plastic, and it's not there for show because you can barely see it. And this is a behind the scenes look —where there is still visible green screen— they have no reason to add the CGI, let alone do it well.

I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but does anybody else think the lenses are practical?

I originally thought it was CGI, but then I saw this in a behind the scenes clip.
https://vimeo.com/231218802/a3cf2e6b8e

*EDIT* Trying to figure out gifs, linking to vimeo instead
I can confirm that these are CG, Every shot of the homemade goggles moving in the film are. It is physically impossible to make 6 shutters move like they do throughout the film. Sure people could make a close functioning set for one expression, but it's just not possible at all for them to do what you see on screen. Also, That behind the scenes clip was a final one used in the film. All on set goggles had set expressions that could be swapped out for CG guys to reference what goggle shape to use

I think it's 100% confirm that the base of the gloves are the Giro Bravo.

Here is a side by side comparison, I still can't identify the red portion. If anyone is still researching, hit me up.

Glove.jpg

I can confirm that these are CG, Every shot of the homemade goggles moving in the film are. It is physically impossible to make 6 shutters move like they do throughout the film. Sure people could make a close functioning set for one expression, but it's just not possible at all for them to do what you see on screen. Also, That behind the scenes clip was a final one used in the film. All on set goggles had set expressions that could be swapped out for CG guys to reference what goggle shape to use
Did you work on the set of the film? — Not asking in a snarky way, I'm just going to be a stubborn ass and stick with my theory of a practical mechanism until proven otherwise:) (which if you did work on set, alrighty then.) Everyone thought BB-8 was CGI because it looked impossible to be practical.

This is all mostly based on the layered shutters in this up close of the photo, along with the side view of the photo earlier on.IMG_5067.PNG

EDIT: I now remember the shot in the film

Last edited:
Did you work on the set of the film? — Not asking in a snarky way, I'm just going to be a stubborn ass and stick with my theory of a practical mechanism until proven otherwise:) (which if you did work on set, alrighty then.) Everyone thought BB-8 was CGI because it looked impossible to be practical.

This is all mostly based on the layered shutters in this up close of the photo, along with the side view of the photo earlier on. And because I don't remember that shot in the film.View attachment 754625

The lenses are CGI, the photo above is from a exhibit in Japan and has to make it presentable. Unless you want to see a hollow one like the photo below. You can't assume anything that is based on 1 photo you found on the internet. There might be practical versions of the lenses while filming but pretty sure they aren't mechanised.

TechnoBuffalo-6-1280x853.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back