Jedi Remote Training Droid

Shockbolt

I made a 3D model of the Jedi Remote Training Droid last year, uploaded it to my Shapeways account so that other people have the chance to get their own 3D printed polished versions off of it as well. There are two versions available, one where the sphere comes as two halves (allows you to put electronic parts inside of it, and a version that comes as a complete sphere. Both versions need the 8 "mini towers" to be attached to it with glue.

The assembled droid is approx 15 cm in diameter.

RemoteDroid_01.png

RemoteDroid_02.png

RemoteDroid_03.png

RemoteDroid_04.png

RemoteDroid_05.png

RemoteDroid_06.png

RemoteDroid_07.png

RemoteDroid_08.png

RemoteDroid_09.png

The parts are available on Shapeways. If I understand this forum correctly, sales posts can't be made in this section, which is why I won't add any direct links to the parts.

These look fantastic!
You could post a link in the classified section under project runs.
Id be interested in one.

Do you offer finishing/painting services?

Thanks.

These look fantastic!
You could post a link in the classified section under project runs.
Id be interested in one.

Do you offer finishing/painting services?

Thanks.

I wish I could, but with restricted space to create these replicas in, I can't officially offer to do that. Plus the price for a finished droid would be a bit high, with the 25% import tax into Norway, assembling, time to finish and paint the droid, the cost would end up being over $400, not including the approx $40 shipping cost. It takes me about 2 full evenings from start to finish for one of them to be completed.

I earn about $10 from each 3D printed version off of Shapeways, the rest of the cost to have it 3D printed go to them.

- - - Updated - - -

More photos of the Remote Droid, taken today:

20170415_140236.png

20170415_140155.png

20170415_140746.png

20170415_140826.png

Wow, I had no idea the profits were so small on shapeways.
Well, I'd like to thank you here for making these available to the community.
Excellent job. One of these is in my future.

Wow, I had no idea the profits were so small on shapeways.
Well, I'd like to thank you here for making these available to the community.
Excellent job. One of these is in my future.

You can adjust the profit yourself, from zero to infinity, but I feel I can't turn it up more than $1 to $10 due to the already high base cost set by Shapeways.I'm not doing it for the money, but it's nice to have at least a few dollars in return for the months spent creating all these 3D models :)

Could you possibly tell me how much a completed one weighs if you have a sensitive enough digital scale?

I made this one several years ago out of foam and plastic bits to make sure it was light enough to still hover. It works but I would LOVE to upgrade to something more accurate it the weight tolerance is close enough for it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give me some time, i have most of the parts and a lab scale. Missing only the small Panther parts (have one i can get access on, but no time to make a mold and cast them) and the squares (as i want to cut them from a vacformed sheet, for better fit).

But i would guess that any addons only make a small difference to the bare plastruct sphere.

That is beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I am quite happy with how it turned out myself, although it's not 100% accurate as pointed out by someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the cute tiny one. :cool

It's1:6s cale if I remember correctly, made for the fun of it as I had already a large scale version made to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you possibly tell me how much a completed one weighs if you have a sensitive enough digital scale?

I made this one several years ago out of foam and plastic bits to make sure it was light enough to still hover. It works but I would LOVE to upgrade to something more accurate it the weight tolerance is close enough for it to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDB_C6FRHE

The assembled and painted Remote Droid, my version as seen in this post, weighs approx 136 grams on a digital kitchen scale. Search for "Shockbolt" on Shapeways to find my 3D models, you will find 2 versions of the Remote Droid there, both will look the same when assembled but one comes as 2 piece sphere, allowing you to add stuff to it's inside.

Found me some nice detailed photos of the MR version of the remote droid, unlike the previous photos that I based my own version upon. I intend to use these new photos to update my own 3D model, making it more accurate.

updated_shots_01.jpg

updated_shots_02.jpg

Very cool - I've wanted to put one of these together for a while now. Any chance you'd be willing to put the individual greeblies on Shapeways so that we can print / mold / assemble them ourselves? I'd imagine it would be a lot cheaper to print out a single high-quality version of each part and then cast copies.

Found me some nice detailed photos of the MR version of the remote droid, unlike the previous photos that I based my own version upon. I intend to use these new photos to update my own 3D model, making it more accurate.

http://www.digitalartwork.no/therpf/updated_shots_01.jpg

http://www.digitalartwork.no/therpf/updated_shots_02.jpg

I printed your file from Thingiverse a while ago but this part is too small and wont print on my printer :( Any advice?
updated_shots_01.jpg

Cant wait for the updated more accurate version :)

If the order was placed from this shop on Shapeways, then yes: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/shockbolt-s-models

I printed your file from Thingiverse a while ago but this part is too small and wont print on my printer :( Any advice?
View attachment 746258

Cant wait for the updated more accurate version :)

If you got your version from Thingiverse, then it was someone elses version. I had the first version of my remote droid up for free on GrabCad back when I started making these 3D models. Until I found out that people were selling the files, claiming they were their own creations. This is the main reason why I no longer give out my 3D files, but instead make them available as print orders through Shapeways.com .

I would suggest you import the 3D model that is causing you a bit of trouble, into a 3D modelling software, and make the part thicker.

I planned on making the changes to my current design of the remote droid this weekend, but due to other projects I didn't have time to do that. The next "deadline" I've set for myself is by the end of this upcoming Sunday. Creating 2D artwork for digital games is taking up a bit of time these days, and preparing to start working on two Middle-earth projects (Gandalf's Moria staff version with glowing crystal and a Mirkwood elven archer bow+quiver+arrows, all 1:1 scale).

I'll make a post in this thread when I have made the changes to the remote droid.

Very cool - I've wanted to put one of these together for a while now. Any chance you'd be willing to put the individual greeblies on Shapeways so that we can print / mold / assemble them ourselves? I'd imagine it would be a lot cheaper to print out a single high-quality version of each part and then cast copies.

I won't promise to do that in the near future as it will require a bit of remodeling, as all the parts have been merged into the sphere, except for the "mini towers".

I did have a set of molds made for my remote droid, but casting the parts in resin was tricky. The fine details (sometimes around 1mm or less, always ended up trapping tiny bubbles in them, ruining the cast every time. I went through this process to try and lower the cost for each droid, planning on selling the raw cast kits for half the price they cost on Shapeways.

Some see them as too expensive, then someone else comes in and buys a set of 5 complete droids, such as a customer did yesterday. I also saw someone else with a remote droid very much like my own, trying to sell resin cast kits of it, for approx £80, it looked to me that there weren't much interest for them from the feedback the sales post got on FB. Based on this, I put the mold and cast process on ice.

That said, the polished 3D prints you get from shapeways require very little post process work, usually a few thin layers of filler spray and you are good to start painting and detailing them. When I order from Shapeways instead of 3D printing the items at home, I see the cost spent on Shapeways as paying for time and effort saved from not having to do days of sanding myself, but that's just me.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back